Picture Frame / Border Template

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

Just trying to put together a christmas present, a bit of a collage of some pics of my neice for my sister and brother in law.

I have managed to bodge together a rough template, and well, that's it, it's rough, i am known for being a perfectionist, and this is far beyond perfection for me.

I know how to create the border as such but i don't know how to make the "windows" more exact, so they are all aligned and have the same spacing between them etc.

Here is what i've done already, just to get yourselves on the right wavelength:

Template.JPG

Can anyone let me know how to make these sorts of things "snap" to a grid, or certain reference point. Give me Autocad any day ;)

Thanks,

Jonathan

ps i'm using CS2

Start a new doc, fill with black and double click the background layer to unlock it.

Next, go to the View menu - view/show/grid and select. Again from the View menu select Rulers.

You should now see a grid pattern on your doc and the Rulers on the top and left edge. If the grid is too large/small go to: Preferences/Guides, Grid, Slices & Count, and adjust accordingly.

Now click in the ruler and drag down or across to add a line. If you now hold down the Ctrl key the ruler will attempt to snap to the grid as you drag. Repeat the process to form a box.

Now with the Rectangular Marquee tool selected, click and drag from the corner of your newly formed ruler box. Before you release make sure to hold down the Ctrl key to engage snap to grid. How simply drag out to the appropriate size and release.

Finally hit the delete key to create the first frame window. Now just repeat the process until you have the layout you want.

Sounds a bit daunting but once you've done a couple there's nothing to it.

Hope this helps

P.S. - If you fancy a more 'freehand' approach you can skip adding rulers lines and just click and drag on the grid itself with the Marquee tool, holding down Ctrl key before releasing, to snap to the grid.

This was my final effort, it is a lot harder than i thought to get all the borders equal, and centralised.

I'm not 100% happy with it (i think i'm too picky) but it's gone for printing now.

Whaddya reckon?

3119076116_16cf3e29ba.jpg

im sure they'd be happy with it! some nice photo's too did you take them?

I hope they will be happy too, i'm printing it at 18x12 via photobox, and the mount will cover most of the black at the sides to match the same thickness border around the piccies.

I hope it turns out ok :(

Jonathan

ps cheers, yes i did take them! ;)

Update: They loved it, it went up on the wall straight away, many thanks to logoman

Jonathan

Back