Pied Flycatcher pair

Two beauties there Mike and all the more interesting seeing the 1/60th shutter speed. :)

The detail in these shots is fantastic. Were these taken with your new 150-600 lens? Couldn't see any exif data on your Flickr site.

Thanks everyone, awlays look forward to photographing these.

The detail in these shots is fantastic. Were these taken with your new 150-600 lens? Couldn't see any exif data on your Flickr site.
Yes Robert, well worth the relatively cheap price tag I have to say.
Wonderful shots Mike and impressive processing
Pretty much straight out of camera Bill as I only shoot in jpeg.
Two beauties there Mike and all the more interesting seeing the 1/60th shutter speed. :)
Thanks. Was down to 1/40th at one point which is when I go to live view and a cable release to avoid shutter slap causing camera shake.

Pretty much straight out of camera Bill as I only shoot in jpeg.

.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike that's really interesting

These are both really fantastic shots and what a great advertisement for the Sigma lens too. The detail you've captured is amazing, well done you!

The first especially is a very nice shot Mike, perfect head angle and the added prey items are a bonus.

The second is also a good shot, but the blacks are choked and have lost detail. Is there a reason you only shoot jpeg? To me, you're getting the shots bang on in camera, but for that final bit of polish, shooting RAW and processing them would just give you that little bit extra which I think they deserve. It doesn't take much, I rarely spend more than a couple of minutes on mine now I have a basic workflow sorted out.

Hope you don't mid, but I tried to open the blacks up a bit on the second. Subtle around the blacks in the head, but to me it makes a difference.

p-fly-rp.jpg

Two stunning shots, number 2 is particularly interesting given the span of the insect vs the bird.

I think the edit @pooley does slightly improve the second shot, not that there was much wrong with it in the first place!

The first especially is a very nice shot Mike, perfect head angle and the added prey items are a bonus.

The second is also a good shot, but the blacks are choked and have lost detail. Is there a reason you only shoot jpeg? To me, you're getting the shots bang on in camera, but for that final bit of polish, shooting RAW and processing them would just give you that little bit extra which I think they deserve. It doesn't take much, I rarely spend more than a couple of minutes on mine now I have a basic workflow sorted out.

Hope you don't mid, but I tried to open the blacks up a bit on the second. Subtle around the blacks in the head, but to me it makes a difference.
Thanks but to me your edit has `washed` the black out and lost contrast but thats probably down to my monitor needing calibrating. I have tried RAW on several occasions over the years and have never seen the benefit plus being lazy I hate processing, however small lol.
Thanks. I'm happy with mines, but got a long way to go to get close to your results :)
Are these using a tripod?
Which camera? Full frame?
Sorry for so many questions :)

Canon 70d on a tripod at 1000 iso, f 8.0 at 1/50th and 1/60th sec. Hope that helps?

I'm pretty sure that's a monitor issue Mike, on the original the histogram is pushed up against the left hand edge, so the blacks will be 'deep' but won't have any detail in them.

For me it's a shame you don't go raw, but that's a debate for another time.

End result is a couple of nice shots, let's see some more.

Mike

Back