Pies or Crumble?

We never eat things straight off the bush. I soak brambles in salt water for hours and then rinse them several times as there are usually living things in there somewhere. There are usually small spiders and the like and of course worms/maggots or whatever they are. The numbers can vary and one year when the brambles were early we got a lot of worms, it's more usual just to find a few.

Excellent stuff, one of your five a day plus added protein.

Excellent stuff, one of your five a day plus added protein.

haha! If you like.

My mam always tells a story about her mother in law making her a ham sandwich. She took a bit and then saw something wriggling and upon looking inside... That's fine if you're not bothered but I think I would be :D

I'm more your savoury type rather than sweet tooth type but I really don't fancy steak and kidney crumble.

When I'm in the mood for sweet things, I think crumble would be my choice over pies. That said, an apple pie with homemade rice pudding on top takes some beating.

Ideal Milk too, over a crumble. Can you still get Ideal Milk? It was quite a thing when I was a lad. My Dad used to take a can to his work as it 'kept' well.

I present to you a retro feast; damson crumble, photographed in contrasty autumnal sunshine using film and a 1964 Pentina 35mm SLR camera (one of the few examples still in working condition) fitted with a 50mm Carl Zeiss Jena lens.

Who could possibly want a pie photographed with a digital camera after that? ;)

50402720452_091f28c36d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back