Piggin Vista

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a rant, nothing more, nothing less.

Installed 64 bit vista last night as I wanted to take advantage of the full 4GB of memory.

Install went like a dream, no hassles at all. Then I went to look for my disks. Two of them are dynamic and guess what, Home premium cant see them. Now, I could just convert them to basic, job done, but they're my main data storage and back up disks and I've spent a good bit of last week clearing the dross out and getting it just the way I want it.

Now I'm going to have to reinstall XP, get a couple of new disks to back these up, reinstall vista. What moron came up with the idea of not supporting dynamic disks in Home editions when it was fairly obvious that XP Pro users might transfer. :bang::bang:

Microsoft?

Vista is a dumbed down system and is not commensurate with intelligent free-thinking humans!

This is a rant, nothing more, nothing less.

Installed 64 bit vista last night as I wanted to take advantage of the full 4GB of memory.

Install went like a dream, no hassles at all. Then I went to look for my disks. Two of them are dynamic and guess what, Home premium cant see them. Now, I could just convert them to basic, job done, but they're my main data storage and back up disks and I've spent a good bit of last week clearing the dross out and getting it just the way I want it.

Now I'm going to have to reinstall XP, get a couple of new disks to back these up, reinstall vista. What moron came up with the idea of not supporting dynamic disks in Home editions when it was fairly obvious that XP Pro users might transfer. :bang::bang:

Why didnt you dual boot?

Dynamic disk's are old hat anyway, and on the Vista website it does actually tell you that only Enterprise and Ultimate support dynamic disks's.

That's what you like to see..... software/hardware compatability. We upgrade (micro$oft) you have to as well. Grrrrr!

Why didnt you dual boot?

Dynamic disk's are old hat anyway, and on the Vista website it does actually tell you that only Enterprise and Ultimate support dynamic disks's.

Because my wife uses this as well and it's hard enough getting her used to one system, leaving her with two would result in chaos. There would be some of her files held on one partition and some on another.

How many people actually look through the website for the full specs??? I checked the usual stuff like importing emails (removing identities is a PITA as well) but never for a moment thought to check they'd remove compatability for something so basic. I don't really care that they're old hat, that's what they were.

Because my wife uses this as well and it's hard enough getting her used to one system, leaving her with two would result in chaos. There would be some of her files held on one partition and some on another.

Err dual bootong would of pleased both users and the preferred OS you could ofcourse then copy any files form one root directory to another on seperate partitions so that you have two mirrored file systems with different OS sounds crazy but is really really simple, heres the sort of thing I mean from my PC.

Drives.jpg

Err dual bootong would of pleased both users and the preferred OS you could ofcourse then copy any files form one root directory to another on seperate partitions so that you have two mirrored file systems with different OS sounds crazy but is really really simple, heres the sort of thing I mean from my PC.

I know how to do it, I don't WANT to do it. Believe me, giving my wife a dual boot system would end up in hours of grief for me.

I saw that but didn't try it. Most of the people with issues were using VHP as well so I dismissed it. Maybe I shouldn't have. :shrug:

How about running a bootable OS from CD, like one of the Linux Live discs (Ubuntu springs to mind)? You could at least copy the contents of the dynamic discs off to an external HDD without having to go to the length of a complete OS reinstall...

I know how to do it, I don't WANT to do it. Believe me, giving my wife a dual boot system would end up in hours of grief for me.

I dont understand why as it would be like using two computers on one physical machine and the file systems would be dedicated to each OS.

How about running a bootable OS from CD, like one of the Linux Live discs (Ubuntu springs to mind)? You could at least copy the contents of the dynamic discs off to an external HDD without having to go to the length of a complete OS reinstall...

Loaded XP onto a spare disk and did it through that, all fixed :)

I dont understand

You married?

You can't take no for an answer can you

Hmmm. Well its not available on Windows XP Home, so why put it into Windows Vista Home? They are merely being consistent. It makes sense to me personally. :)

Hmmm. Well its not available on Windows XP Home, so why put it into Windows Vista Home? They are merely being consistent. It makes sense to me personally. :)

Quite agree, I think the OP doesnt really know how to deal with the problem but wont accept assistance.

No, I do know how to deal with the problem and it isn't a dual boot. You've got that into your mind and won't let it drop. You've already been told why.

Believe me, I've had dual boot systems on W98/ME, 98/W2K, W2K/XP/Redhat, w2K/XP on a seperate benching rig. That was fine when it was only me using it.

It's not, it's my wife too and there's no way she's going to be happy with a system that sees disks some of the time, changes appearance depending on who's been using it, has to be rebooted for her to see her emails, etc. Neither am I, what's the point??

As far as the original problem is concerned I'll hold my hands up and admit I missed the bit about dynamic disks. I ran the compatability wizard and would have expected that to highlight it, it didn't. I still think it's a daft omission but I've moved on and fixed the issue. Why don't you.

Dual booting will see dynamic disks, or just use a virtual system either way im right.

Mate,
I had same problem when i upgraded to Vista.
I installed Virtual PC which was free from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

I then loaded a copy of XP Pro - Virtual PC allows to to load a full working desktop/pc within a window.... to all extents it works as a real PC. This picked up the dynamic drives, I copies the files to my new Vista drive, once all was working I deleted virtual pc and reformatted the 2 dynamic drives.

Back