Pinhole Camera From A 6x9 Folder

Edit My Images
Yes
As mentioned in the thread about the 5 quid large format lens which was originally on a knackered Adox 6x9 folder, my plan was to make a pinhole camera from the body. I finally got round to doing it a few days ago, and here's the result...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 01.jpg

You can't see the bellows here, but this was retained and used as the mounting surface for the plate with the pinhole - no point in taking it off and then trying to make the front light tight when it already is. To the left and right, under the black gaffer tape, there's a bit of 3mm ply (the 0.3 sticker is near the top of one bit of ply), and the inner edge of each piece is lodged into the first fold of the bellows such that the front is held out. The gaffer tape then holds the bits of ply in place. The pinhole plate was then placed over the opening and held down with more gaffer tape. The bit of insulating tape is the no-lens cap and is folded back on itself at one end to make it easier to get a hold of when removing it. It's not the shutter due to the risk of the camera moving when it's pulled off - what I do is get a finger over the pinhole as I pull the tape off and then remove and replace the finger as the actual shutter.

Here's a close-up of the pinhole plate...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 02.jpg

In the centre, you can just make out the pinhole. It's 0.3mm in diameter and the plate is 0.05mm stainless steel shim. The hole was made using a very small carbide drill in a small milling machine (not advisable to use a carbide drill this small in a hand-held drill - they are extremely fragile and any sideways force or tilt can snap the drill).

The size was somewhat arbitrary. This pinhole was originally on a 5x4 lens board (along with another at 0.4mm, hence the sticker so that I could tell which was which). It just so happened that it worked out about right in terms of diffraction - the distance from the pinhole to the film is just about 35mm, and the calculated ideal for this was 0.28mm. Close enough. The effective aperture is f/117, so I used f/128 as the nearest proper stop for the purpose of metering.

Before doing the tape stuff, I had to do some fixing to the internals...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 03.jpg

The little slidey things that hold the spools in were a bit grotty, and a squirt with silicone oil on each sorted that out (followed by a wipe with a rag to get the overspray off). The catch for the back was also yucky - dismantled and some lighter fluid followed by some Castrol Magnatec (both applied with small paint brushes), and a resetting of the spring, took care of that. The two tabs that put tension on the spools had a fair bit of surface rust, so they were sanded with some fine emery. The blue cross on the back of the pinhole plate was to help with getting it centred when taping it on (easier to see).

One other thing that I needed to do was to make the bottom part that holds the supply spool...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 04.jpg

When I got the camera a few years ago, this was missing, which meant there was a big hole underneath where the tripod socket is, as well as the lack of retention of the bottom of the spool. Since I had bought a second Adox folder, I had an existing one to use as a guide, and I made this one from aluminium on a lathe. The original plan was to make three little holes around the side and use screws to hold it in place (that's how the original was fitted). As it turned out, some blobs of medium viscosity superglue were the quicker and easier solution. The bit of metal with the tripod socket protrudes into the cavity, and there's a recess on the underside of the aluminium part, so there's a natural light trap there (transparency of the glue isn't an issue).

One other thing that can't be seen here is copper tape that was used to blank out some holes in the body on either side of the bellows. These resulted from drilling out rivets that held on some of the folding arm gubbins when it had a lens. Some were in the top and bottom plates outside the bellows, but there was one in each of the side faces in beside the bellows, and these passed light into the film chamber. Self-adhesive copper tape was the easiest fix (sticks well, and is utterly light tight).

I went out and shot a test roll today. Overcast and a bit dull. Exposures were all about 1 second or so (or as near as I could count 'thousand-one' and remember to get my finger back over the hole at the end). The negs are drying, and look okay. If anything, maybe some more exposure would have been better, but there should be enough to get decent scans. There is some quite noticeable fall-off towards the ends/corners, which is expected - a 35mm focal length on this size is about 14mm on a 35mm camera, meaning that the effective area of the pinhole encountered by rays coming in from oblique angles is reduced quite a lot (about 1/3rd or less at the corners once the thickness of the pinhole plate is accounted for).

I'm happy to report that the tension stuff works well - the take-up spool was wound nice and tight when I unloaded it at home (in rather subdued light). No qualms about shooting two rolls outside and reloading in the field.

Pictures to follow.

My picks from the roll. Film was Acros, developed in HC-110 dil B for 6 minutes.

scan0004-800.jpg
A certain collection of bridges.

scan0005-800.jpg
Cramond.

scan0007-800.jpg
Cramond Island, from Cramond.

The last one is my favourite. It's a position I've taken photos from before, but I prefer to be a bit further back to get the curve of the low wall on the left extending more into the foreground. Unfortunately, somebody had decided to stick his ice cream van there - it was right at my back. The figure is a random punter who decided to stand there just as I was about to take the photo (there were some others he was with out of shot to the right). I was initially going to wait until he got out of the way, but decided to take the shot because he was standing still. The vertical composition really brings out the very wide field of view.

I had to do quite a bit of messing in Photoshop to reduce the fall-off. I basically tweaked it with the levels tool until the whole image was very low contrast with the output at less than full range, then upped the mid-tone contrast and lightened the shadows a bit. Even at that, they're still a bit dark and flat (or 'atmospheric'). Scanned in 16-bit greyscale to give the room for manipulation without getting banding.

The sharpness is pretty decent. In the original scan of the middle one, the white rectangles of the framing around the panes in the windows are clearly visible.

In some of the shots, it looks like I got a fingertip at the bottom left. Maybe I need to come up with some sort of actual shutter.

I stuck some bits of wood to the front of the pinhole camera (and painted them black)...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 05.jpg

The two bits at the bottom are 3mm ply, followed by a couple of narrow strips of MDF at the outer edges (taken from the back of a clip frame), and the top plate is 3mm ply with a 35mm diameter hole in the middle. All held on with superglue. The bottom bits of ply ensure that the slots at the outer edges are clear of the front face of the bellows where the pinhole is attached.

This acts as a holder for another bit of the MDF from the clip frame...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 06.jpg

...which pushes in like this to cover the pinhole...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 07.jpg

...thus creating a shutter.

The sliding plate is tapered along its thickness (thinner at the end with the rounded corners). This is so that it has less resistance against the slots when it's about to be pulled clear of the pinhole. In the closed position, there is some friction at the square-cornered end which helps to keep it in place. The reduced friction when it's about to open is to reduce the chance of vibration at the start of the exposure.

I'm also about to load a roll of film into my 6x7 pinhole seeing as it's pinhole day tomorrow :0)

View attachment 100990

That looks interesting. Assuming the front part is home made, is there a thread detailing how it was put together? I was looking at an ETRS back, but couldn't see what needs to be done to make the frame counter advance. There's a little pin that gets pressed in when it's on the camera, but maybe I wasn't pressing it in far enough. Couldn't see anything that detects the presence of loaded film.

That looks interesting. Assuming the front part is home made, is there a thread detailing how it was put together? I was looking at an ETRS back, but couldn't see what needs to be done to make the frame counter advance. There's a little pin that gets pressed in when it's on the camera, but maybe I wasn't pressing it in far enough. Couldn't see anything that detects the presence of loaded film.

Thanks. I 3d printed the body/shutter and built in a mount for the Graphic 23 6x7 rollfilm back. The back has the winding/counter mechanism built in so is independent of the body.

I forgot to say, your Etrs back will have a gear that meshes with a gear inside the body that winds on the film. Our need to replicate that gear on a pinhole body if you wanted to use it. The benefit of the Graphic 23 back is that it's designed for using on a 2x3 or 4/5 body so winds independently.

The ETRS backs have a manual wind knob on the side (which links to the gear that meshes with the body). I found something that presses the pin in further, but still no movement on the frame counter when I twiddle the knob. Next time I load a roll, I'll see if there is any movement, although I'm thinking a 5x4 roll film back might be an easier conversion.

The ETRS backs have a manual wind knob on the side (which links to the gear that meshes with the body). I found something that presses the pin in further, but still no movement on the frame counter when I twiddle the knob. Next time I load a roll, I'll see if there is any movement, although I'm thinking a 5x4 roll film back might be an easier conversion.

Is the manual knob just to get the film spooled to the Start position before the in-body gearing takes over? If anything, I'd think the pin disables the manual wind (when the back is fitted to a body) rather than enabling it? I don't have an ETRS back though so am only guessing!

I assume it is just for getting the film to the start, and It looks like the gearing doesn't disengage. I had a look at the part of the camera that mates with the pin, and it only moves when the shutter fires, and it's just a very short out and back movement when the shutter opens - not related to shutter speed. I suspect the pin being momentarily pushed in by the camera is what triggers the frame counter, but it only works if there is film loaded. I still can't see anything that moves when it's loaded (other than the pressure plate). If the counter is incremented by the camera pushing the pin, then it's unlikely to work by turning the manual wind knob - there's nothing inside to detect the amount of rotation. It looks like it's a no-go.

Just been playing with the ETRS back and a roll of backing paper. Here's what happens...

It does detect the presence of the film - when turning the knob, the frame counter now advances. When it gets to each frame, there's a click. At this point, the knob can still be turned (and remains linked to the gear that meshes with the camera body), but the film no longer advances. When the little pin in the back is momentarily pressed in (simulating the shutter firing), the drive to the film is reinstated and turning the knob advances it again.

So, it should be possible to turn it into a pinhole camera, provided some 'allow film to advance' feature is added.

Last edited:
An update to the 6x9 pinhole camera.

The Adox folder that this is based on could do two aspect ratios - 6x9 and 6x6. To achieve the latter, a mask was placed in the frame and a little lever was moved on the inside of the back. There was no mask when I got it, but the lever for setting the aspect ratio can be seen here...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 08.jpg

It's set to the square symbol, indicating 6x6. When set to one or the other, only the red window for that aspect ratio can be opened from the outside for advancing the film.

After a bit of musing, I reckoned I could make a mask from a couple of its of 3mm ply...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 09.jpg

60mm long and 15mm wide. Paint them matt black...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 10.jpg

...and jam them in between the edge of the frame and the partially-folded bellows...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 11.jpg

Not glued in or anything to retain the option to go back to 6x9. They seem to stay in place fine with some pretty vigorous shaking and slapping the camera end-on against the palm of my hand, so should be fine in normal use.

Still musing on adding a viewfinder.

I really like your photos the first one appeals to me in particular, they all seem to have a real atmosphere to them, your use of gaffer tape is the icing on the cake.

Cheers, Brad. It was a very overcast day, so the cloud detail might be a factor. Another thing is the fairly strong fall-off (very noticeable in the second shot with the white buildings - white in the middle, but grey at the left edge), which is unavoidable with a short pinhole distance because the apparent pinhole area reduces markedly at an oblique angle. I'm going to try a square format this time to get the soft vignette more balanced at the corners.

Pinhole photos do seem to have a dreamy quality, though - something to do with the lack of critical sharpness, perhaps.

The camera now has a viewfinder of the sports finder variety.

Here it is folded up...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 12.jpg

The frame is made from some stainless steel rod (1.6mm dia) and goes into a bit of wood glued to the front. The additional bits for the sides of the square format frame are glued on with epoxy. The backsight is made from the remnants of the original pop-up viewfinder - the front part was removed, as was the rear lens. The bit of aluminium was shaped, drilled, tapped (M1.6) and screwed on. Gloss black paint on all the bits that weren't already black.

And opened...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 13.jpg

Each end of the bit of wood where the wire goes in has a little vertical groove to help locate the wire and stop it flopping about. Still a bit loose, but works okay. There's a countersink in the front face of the backsight to make it easier to see the corners of the frame (very wide field of view, so still have to squint a bit). The hole in the backsight is 2mm diameter, which seems fine.

A closer view of the backsight...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 14.jpg

The top edge of the original flip-up part has been bent down to improve the view towards the bottom of the frame. The countersink is a bit clearer here as well

One more mod to go...

Last edited:
The final thing I wanted to do was improve how the camera sits when it's placed on a flat surface, as well as bring the tripod bush into the middle. The original camera has the tripod bush at one end, and the winding thingy at the other, and both of these stick out from the body, making it pretty unstable.

After thinking about shapes and sizes a bit, I made this from a scrap of beech...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 15.jpg

The T-nut in the background has a 1/4"-20 imperial thread, and you can see that I've done a trial partial fit in the recess in the wood. This is the side that mates with the bottom of the camera, and it has a raised strip running along the length, centred on the holes. This is because the mating surface on the camera is recessed and I want a good mechanical contact.

On the other side...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 16.jpg

...the two fixing holes are counterbored to ensure that the screw heads are sub-flush.

Paint it black and fit the T-nut...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 17.jpg

The nut was fitted by compressing the two parts in a vice. The coin was used to press onto the T-nut because it has to go in lower than the raised strip (it has to be flush to sub-flush with the lower surfaces on either side).

Then drill two holes in the base of the camera...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 18.jpg

The recessed area can just about be seen here - it rises at the front, and where the edge of the back is on the centre line. Without the raised part on the wood, the recessed strip would get pulled up at the screw holes, and the raised features on the camera base would get pushed down - possible risk of distortion and maybe light leaks at the seam to the back.

I didn't use glue or tape for this because it's unlikely to be robust enough, especially given that the surface it mates with already has tape on it. Self tappers into metal is a much stronger and more reliable fix...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 19.jpg

Drilling into the body was fine - there's space behind the screws because the bellows is partially extended, and they taper towards this side. Just needed a bit of care to ensure the drill didn't go in very far once it was through the metal (it was done on a small drill press, so easy to control).

Part of the thinking about sizes involved having good extension front to back for stability, and making it wide enough to get the same left to right but without it getting too close to the winder - no issues with finger access.

Last edited:
A couple of shots of the completed camera. I gave it a name and printed a label, partly for fun, and to have a reminder of the f-number of the pinhole...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 20.jpg

"Void" because there's a hole where there used to be a lens. :)

It's now nice and stable when it's placed on a flat surface like this.

Simulated on-tripod action shot...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 21.jpg

For a junker and some bits of scrap, mostly held together with gaffer tape and superglue, I'm quite pleased with it.

Last edited:
Back