Pinhole Day 2019 - Sunday 28th April

Edit My Images
Yes
A heads-up for those that are interested - Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day this year is on the 28th of April (the last Sunday of the month).

More info here...

http://pinholeday.org/

Plenty of time to start thinking about making or modifying something should you be inclined to do so, and loads of time to do a test or two to get your exposures worked out. I'm planning a new camera for this, a 5x4 box jobbie, in which I'll be shooting photo paper. I dare say I'll be doing a build thread once things get started.

I'll bump this thread occasionally in case anyone forgets. Feel free to post photos of your intended pinhole camera, ask questions, etc, here.

[Pedant mode on]
From the site info:

Anyone, anywhere in the world, who makes a pinhole photograph on the last Sunday in April, can scan it and upload it to this website where it will become part of the annual Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day celebration's online gallery.

I assume from the word "scan" that this is for pinhole photos on film; but surely you can also use a digital camera to produce a pinhole photograph?

[pedant mode off]

Good reminder Nomad, since working out a suitable subject can be the hardest part and now I can start thinking about one or two. (y)

Good reminder Nomad, since working out a suitable subject can be the hardest part and now I can start thinking about one or two. (y)
I know what you mean - I need to come up with something other than the Forth Bridge. :)

I'll also need to do some trial exposures. I did some LF shots with Ilford MGIV paper last year and found that a yellow filter worked quite well for contrast, but can't remember what speed I rated it at. Could have been 6asa with a stop for the filter, or 3asa because it's old paper, with a stop for the filter...

I’ve taken part in most of the WPPD events of the last few years and I’ve really enjoyed the challenge, last year I posted a shot of a bluebell wood in the Chilterns, shot on an Intrepid 5x4 camera on OOD Kodak Ektachrome film.

Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day
by Nick Watson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'll actually try and shoot something for it this year! I'm about to go and cut my own (finally) Chroma Mk1.5ish with its' pinhole lens board so I'll get something hopefully!

I'll actually try and shoot something for it this year! I'm about to go and cut my own (finally) Chroma Mk1.5ish with its' pinhole lens board so I'll get something hopefully!
I've shot something for the last couple of pinhole days with my Pentax, and either got a massive vignette (pinhole straight on the camera) or rather more blurry than I want (pinhole on extension tubes). So this year I'm thinking of trying a couple of shots on the Chroma! :)

Last edited:
I've shot something for the last couple of pinhole days with my Pentax, and either got a massive vignette (pinhole straight on the camera) or rather more blurry than I want (pinhole on extension tubes). So tis year I'm thinking of trying a couple of shots on the Chroma! :)

Excellent, fingers' crossed we both get something suitably awesome :)

Excellent, fingers' crossed we both get something suitably awesome :)
How big is the pinhole, Steve? Need to work out the aperture... I'm assuming I frame it with my existing lens (135mm), so if I left the bellows there, the aperture would be pinhole width divided by 135...

Presumably I use the dark cloth or a hat for a shutter.

How big is the pinhole, Steve? Need to work out the aperture... I'm assuming I frame it with my existing lens (135mm), so if I left the bellows there, the aperture would be pinhole width divided by 135...

Presumably I use the dark cloth or a hat for a shutter.

It's a 0.4mm pinhole Chris. With the focus bed at 'zero' (with the front/back aligned with the base of the camera), the three mounting points are roughly 75mm, 115mm and 170mm from the film plane.

And yes, I've always just used my hand in front of the pinhole as a shutter.

Found this video about the effects of pinhole size with respect to focal length, with sample pictures...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPzAAzEb1wE

The conclusion he comes to is that a pinhole that's too large for the focal length will degrade the image more than one that's too small. In other words, putting the rays through an over-size hole results in a lot of softening, while the diffraction from one that's under-size has surprisingly little effect. Of course, an under-size pinhole will result in longer exposure times.

In short, try to aim for optimal, but err towards a bit small if you want to retain good sharpness.

Calculator here...

https://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

I'll be using this home made camera.
IMG_1008.jpg
Built from an Ensign 6x9 die cast body. Here, shutter open, with my out-of-date pinhole photography go-to film, Superia 100, and exposure compensation chart.
Here are a couple of construction photos.
IMG_0484.jpg
Only got a simple Chinese pillar drill, a hacksaw and some files. So the camera was a bit crude to say the least. Would have been easier if I had a guilotine and press.
Here is the guy who helped me out. Very talented, but not in metalwork.
IMG_0491.jpg

Today's the day, folks.

That looks good, Peter. Like a heavy duty version of the Voidomat I made and used for the last couple of years...

6x9 Folder Pinhole 21.jpg

...which is held together with superglue and gaffer tape.

I'm out this year, no time, had to take the daughter to and from the Stratford marathon, and in between dev the roll of Acros with my after eight shots on it... :(

I'm out this year, no time, had to take the daughter to and from the Stratford marathon, and in between dev the roll of Acros with my after eight shots on it... :(
Sorry to hear that Chris, but family duty has to come first. My film is hanging up to dry and has images on it, but it'll be tomorrow before I get them scanned and find out my "success" rate. I didn't actually go to where I had planned, since the weather was overcast with no wind and I had been wanting some movement.

My paper negs have dried and I have the digital equivalent of a contact sheet...

PD-2019 Contacts s.jpg

Conditions were sunny, which seemed to add up to exposures of one minute with the yellow filter, although a couple are maybe a bit under (especially the grave stone at bottom right). I'll do some scanning over the next few days and see how they look in more detail.

My paper negs have dried and I have the digital equivalent of a contact sheet...

View attachment 243700

Conditions were sunny, which seemed to add up to exposures of one minute with the yellow filter, although a couple are maybe a bit under (especially the grave stone at bottom right). I'll do some scanning over the next few days and see how they look in more detail.
They all look to be well exposed with bags of detail in them. I tried Ilford's direct paper a few years back, but couldn't get the hang of it at all. :confused:

ZeroImage 2000 BTN & orange filter with (in-date!) FP4+ in replenished Xtol. I think I'll post the first one,(once I'v cloned out that foreground mark) but maybe one of the others.

The bridge at Carrbridge

2019-04-29-0011-copy-ph.jpg

Ghosts in the machine

2019-04-29-0004-copy-ph.jpg

The enduring magic of steam

2019-04-29-0005-copy.jpg-ph.jpg

Last edited:
How on earth did I miss this whole thread and Pinhole Day :banghead:

ZeroImage 2000 BTN & orange filter with (in-date!) FP4+ in replenished Xtol. I think I'll post the first one,(once I'v cloned out that foreground mark) but maybe one of the others.

Ghosts in the machine

View attachment 243740
I decided to post the middle shot instead of the bridge. I don't know how many will eventually participate, but I posted on Tuesday and it's #642 on the Pinhole Day website

Last edited:
I decided to post the middle shot instead of the bridge. I don't know how maany will eventually participate, but I posted on Tuesday and it's #642 on the Pinhole Day website
There's loads of time to post shots up, last year there were over 2200 shots entered. I need to finish off my roll and get them dev'd and scanned.

Thanks for the thread

I took a shot with my home made pinhole for my Olympus OM-D E-M10ii
As it's not film I'll just add a link to it.
http://pinholeday.org/gallery/2019/?id=1207

If you took part you've got until May 31st to get the image submitted, 1344 so far :)

Back