Pinhole Photography

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
I'm not sure this is the right section to post in, but hey. I'm interested in trying out pinhole photography. I don't really know anything about it other than what I've read in the last half an hour. The pictures people get from them look amazing and I think it would suit my way of thinking. Could anybody give me any help on what the best things to use to make them are? And where to get film and what to do when it's done etc. I'm a digital only kinda guy, so use of film confuses me! :runaway:

Any help appreciated! Also if anybody has any pinhole work online I'd love to have a look :)

Here is a website that shows how to upgrade a Nikon modify any digital SLR for use as a pinhole camera... And a film version would be much the same - light tight box, pin hole, some way to close the pinhole.

B.

edit: I forgot a smiley so here one is for use as you see fit --> :D

When I was at school ( one or two years ago ) our science teacher showed us how to make a pinhole camera. The only thing I remember is that the image was upside down.

I know this is no help to you

Thanks for the link! I was thinking of trying with digital as I've heard about it before, but I decided I'd rather use film. There's some great stuff been done by positioning the film differently inside the camera, so I guess if I'm experimenting I may as well do it properly! I'm scared of the complex formulae used to work out the exposure time... Okay, they're not that complex, I just haven't done maths in a few months :p

Once you know the area diameter of the pinhole (not so easy) and the focal length (easy) you can work out the f/stop and then use a set of tables to work out the correct exposure... I had a link somewhere to some tables that seem to work OK that was in a post elsewhere on here... Here is a link to the exposure computer.

edit: I would do well to read the links I provide before talking my usual drivel :)

>>I just think it's amazing!

:agree: that picture definitely has the wow! factor for me.

B.

This is a pinhole adapter I made for my 40D after reading an article in Amateur Photographer showing how to make one:

eospinhole.jpg

It's based around a T2 adapter, the bottom of a tuna tin, a slice of drinks can and a washer.

This is one of the photos taken with it:

2883958919_35e1a5a175_o.jpg

That website is wicked! We had Justin Quinnell for a days workshop to teach up how to make pinhole cameras and it was amazing!! You can make a pinholecamera out of an empty beer can - you just lop off the ring-pull end with a can opener, make a new end with thick black card which is removable - you don't use film with it but you load photographic paper into it (in the darkroom/a changing bag) - use thick black electrical tape to attach the card end as and when and pop a hole into the middle of the width of the can with a pin - stick black electrical tape over that when there's unexposed film in it and rplae it once you're done exposing the paper - hope that makes sense but it really gives wicked results! Another one is really simple and involves turning a 110 film canister into a camera! have fun!

That's brilliant! I'm going out to buy lack tape & a matchbox this afternoon!
:clap:

Same! I just got a couple of matchboxes from work and I'm off into town this afternoon to get the tape and some new film :D

The box of film in my house had some with 'Use by 02/1998' written on them :p

I've made my camera! And somehow it looks exactly like it was meant to! That never happens :p

I hope some other people have made them, and can share the results of their experimenting :D I've only taken a couple of pictures so far and I'm very unsure of the exposure times but I'm having fun :)

Looking forward to seeing the results.

As soon as I get some electrical tape (hopefully tomorrow), and nick a plastic document binding wotsit from work, I'm making one. Hmm...Better check I have a matchbox somewhere as well.

I think I'm going to then decorate it with some Snoopy stickers I have :LOL: If it doesn't work at least it will have looked good!

I think I've taken around about 5 pictures so far. I didn't manage to keep any of them steady... So nothing useful so far I don't think :( Oh well! I'll keep trying! :D

Anyone else started taking pictures?

I think I'm going to then decorate it with some Snoopy stickers I have :LOL: If it doesn't work at least it will have looked good!

Finally got my camera made, it took me ages to gradually buy the black tape, matches, scrounge an old film canister etc, as I remembered while I was out and about.
My 5yr old has some ace stickers of cows and chickens I'm going to stick on my camera, it should ensure I'm taken seriously as a photographer when I use it in public!:LOL:
Can you see me walking along with my Tamrac rucsack on, tripod attached, stopping and taking out a matchbox covered in gaffer tape and cow stickers????:LOL: BRILLIANT!

Have any of you managed to produce any worthwhile pinhole images yet? Would be keen to take a look.

My pinhole camera is still sat around with only 5 or so photos taken... Must find it and use it again! Damn my short attention span! :p

good luck with the cam!

they vary vastly!

the first one I used was in my photography a-level. the tutor got a wooden box made, and he simply put a sheet of light-sensitive developing paper (*cough-look at my for sale thread-cough*) inside at one end, and a pinhole at the other.

he got us to all stand in a line outside BBC Radio 1 (yes, my school was across the road from the tub of talentless lard we like to call Chris Moyles...) got everyone who passed us mythed! was rather embarasing actually!

anyway! yeah, you can have one as simple as that, or a technical one with a lightmeter and pinhole shutter???? silly though!

or you can make one by cutting a coke can in half, cleaning it, covering up the ring-pull hole with black paper and make a small pinhole in it, then get a single frame of film (involves opening a film!) and puting it the other end of the coke can, and closing the two halves in the dark!

can get some strange effects that coke-cam!

....a website that shows how to upgrade a Nikon modify any digital SLR for use as a pinhole camera...

LOL funny!! :D

I remember experimenting with pinhole photography when I was at school all those years ago, it was great fun. Be sure to let us know how you get on! :)

My pinhole camera is still sat around with only 5 or so photos taken... Must find it and use it again! Damn my short attention span! :p

I have just a few shots left to take on my matchbox cam. I too have been forgetting to take it out.
Can't wait fo finish it.

World Pinhole day on 26th april!

is that a day to celebrate pinhole cameras and photography, or just any hole made by a pin in general?

:D

Well - there's my image for World Pinhole Day - a shot of my Nemesis - Oil Seed Rape (sniff, snuffle)

Back