Pinkie/Yellow flower (1st attempt)

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Attingham Park today with the aim of trying out my new Sigma 10-20mm lens but ended up sitting the the gardens trying some Macro shots.

Dont have a true Macro lens and instead had to settle for my 18-55mm kit lens with a +10 screw in diopter lens fitted to my trusty Nikon D60.

This was really my 1st attempt at Macro work on a flower with no aditional lighting, and it was a windy day. Its more difficult than i imagined working with manual focus, felt like i was rocking a baby to sleep lol!!

Anyway this is a shot i feel was probabaly one of the best, havent done any photoshopping other than a frame, would appreciate any C&C people may have.

Flower1 by hewhoknows, on Flickr

Nice Image - I was going to say a bit more DoF would be good but on second thoughts the blur to the edges works well.
Haven't done it for ages but when I tried to phograph flowers outside - and the wind always seem to come when you have everthing else set - I kept a couple of feet of stiff garden wire in my bag to stick in the ground and support the stem.

Great tip Stuart, thanks. Will definately be trying that next time.

Thanks for the feedback on the shot, was aiming for a mainly blurry concept with a very narrow DoF to try and take something with a bit more creativity, not sure if i pulled it off mind lol :shrug:

...not sure if i pulled it off mind...
...I can see this as a large panel in a store(y)

As an aside your signature put me in mind of something I had at work for those who thought the knew and I expect being a builder you have encountered some of the same...

The less you know
The more you think you know.
The more you know
The less you know you know.
And when you know you know you know.

Stuart

Last edited:
I think this works really really well I love the shallow dof

wow thanks for the great feedback and glad i seem to be doing something right :D

@Kerioak: yeah i think it is a Cosmos, there were bunches of them so had a good selection to pick from. The other 10 shots of the same flower didnt turn out as well lol!!

@TwentySixDays
As an aside your signature put me in mind of something I had at work for those who thought the knew and I expect being a builder you have encountered some of the same...

The less you know
The more you think you know.
The more you know
The less you know you know.
And when you know you know you know.

lol, your so right :LOL: Gonna put this up in the van tomorrow and get the labourers to read it every morning (y)

lol, your so right :LOL: Gonna put this up in the van tomorrow and get the labourers to read it every morning (y)
Feel free - it got mixed reactions when it put it up and of course everyone was in the "I know" camp :LOL:

Back