pinsentry

Name
Ruth
Edit My Images
Yes
anyone use barclays pinsentry for online banking? know how it works? or how long till they deliver it?

Yeah,

I've got one. Normally arrives within about 7 days. Basically it's a 1 time code system as opposed to a fixed PIN. Your card and the sentry effectively generate a unique code that can only be reproduced by knowing the creation "key".

My only issue with it (apart from knowin its technical limitations) is that it's ANOTHER thing you have to carry around with you. There are better ways of doing it basically.

Exactly, the whole premise of online banking is that you can do it anywhere. Now obviously there are inherent threats with logging onto your bank account on a PC you don't know hence we have systems like pinsentry.

Unfortunately it's not as fool proof as the bank would have you believe.

You insert your card - and when you log onto online banking tell it the last 4 digits of the card you're using.

The hash on the sentry will generate a number based on those numbers, and authenticate that against your user profile (ie what cards are registered).

Its good in principal - though I did like to check online when i was out of the office - now its something else I have to remember / lose easier!!

.........it's ANOTHER thing you have to carry around with you.

You can buy extra card readers from them for £6 each. I now have one at home and one at work, solves the problem for me (y)

You can buy extra card readers from them for £6 each. I now have one at home and one at work, solves the problem for me (y)

i would about 5 of the things, home, work, parents x 2, and one fro the car just in case. :bang:

Back