PistonHeads Studio Session - My photos

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Another Pistonheads studio session thread, really enjoyable day, learnt a few things and was really impressed by the size of their studio (I want one :D).

Still got an Aston and Boxster to process, the Jag was from PistonHeads and was used for the first half of the day when being shown the lighting techniques the rest of the cars belong to those attending.

Anyway here are a few of my photos from the day:-

PistonHeadsStudioSession_001.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_002.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_003.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_004.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_005.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_006.jpg

I like the Mustang, but then I would - it could only be improved by removing the horrible rims, faux air-scoop and ghastly quarter-light louvres...

Not a big fan of the round indicator repeater and additional Ford oval on the fender either...

Seriously considering selling mine in exchange for the new 2011 Boss 305 Mustang...

I like the Mustang, but then I would - it could only be improved by removing the horrible rims, faux air-scoop and ghastly quarter-light louvres...

Not a big fan of the round indicator repeater and additional Ford oval on the fender either...

Seriously considering selling mine in exchange for ta '66 Shelby

Fixed.

I like these shots, interesting to see the set up at the end as well!

Fixed.

I like these shots, interesting to see the set up at the end as well!

lol...you A-Hole...

A '66 Shelby looks nice, but I'd have to perform a full resto-mod to get it to drive in anything like a civilised manner by today's standards...

I'll go with a 2010+ GT500 or the Boss 305 as previously mentioned - in grabber orange, natch...(y)

lol...you A-Hole...

A '66 Shelby looks nice, but I'd have to perform a full resto-mod to get it to drive in anything like a civilised manner by today's standards...

I'll go with a 2010+ GT500 or the Boss 305 as previously mentioned - in grabber orange, natch...(y)

lol, do you mean you don't want to go sideways everywhere? I mean come on, drifting the M25 all the way round would be a feat in itself.

*Wishes he had a garage, shelby and associated tools to tinker for long periods of time.

The first shot is really nicely done but I'm afraid the others aren't anywhere near as good.

The clio shots are slightly out of focus and the BMW M3 shot has really uneven lighting and reflections on the car.

The first shot is really nicely done but I'm afraid the others aren't anywhere near as good.

The clio shots are slightly out of focus and the BMW M3 shot has really uneven lighting and reflections on the car.
Thanks for the C&C, as I mentioned on another forum where these have been posted this is the first time I've ever attempted anything like this so gives me plenty to work on, I appreciate the constructive feedback.

Regarding the uneven lighting/reflections on the M3 could you give me an idea of where it's most noticeable and how it differs from say the first pic of my mustang?

And a few more pics to get pulled to pieces. :D

PistonHeadsStudioSession_013.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_014.jpg

PistonHeadsStudioSession_015.jpg

Having recently driven the 2011 Mustang (only V6 but 310bhp) - they are now getting really civilsed even over rough terrain. Only time I was worried was doing Pike's Peak - and that had very little to do with the car!

Last edited:
Thanks for the C&C, as I mentioned on another forum where these have been posted this is the first time I've ever attempted anything like this so gives me plenty to work on, I appreciate the constructive feedback.

Regarding the uneven lighting/reflections on the M3 could you give me an idea of where it's most noticeable and how it differs from say the first pic of my mustang?
I'm glad you appreciate the comments and I understand the fact it's your first time in a studio shooting cars.

I'll comment about the lighting below the pics.

PistonHeadsStudioSession_001.jpg

Right the mustang shot is nicely lit as the front of the car and the side of the car are the same level of brightness. There’s no point where the light level changes which is a good thing. The reflections on the car are nice as they are not overexposed and help to show the shape of the car.

You’ve missed a few bits with the editing though, under the front bumper there is a dark black burn which looks like something from photoshop and on the door/front wing there’s a brush type mark (although could be a reflection of the end of the studio).

I’m guessing that as this is the first shot of the day and that the pistonheads guys set the lights up for this.

PistonHeadsStudioSession_010.jpg

The BMW shot, well look at it again and whats the first thing you look at......the rear of the car, it’s not because its the focal point that you’ve focused on but because its brighter than the rest of the car and it’s a white reflection. The side of the car is much darker and flatter and the colour cast from the blue/purple lights are all over the side. The front wheel is really unevenly lit so the light would of needed to be repositioned.

The straight edged shaddow on the floor is off putting aswell.

If the lights along the side of the car were white and it was the same brightness as the rear it would work but at the current state it’s just not that good a shot.

I do however light the composition for both of the shots.

And a few more pics to get pulled to pieces. :D

PistonHeadsStudioSession_014.jpg
As you’ve posted this Porsche shot I thought I’d comment on that aswell.

The highlights on the front bumper and the reflection of the floor along the bottom of the bumper and along the bottom of the door are ok but the reason they stand out is because the side of the car has no light reflection off of it. If there was light bouncing off the rear quarter and the door to show the shape of the car then it might work but at the moment you just look at the front and then can’t really see the side of the car.

oh and lose the white vignetting, it looks horrid. I've used it aswell and always regret it. It's a bad habbit I must kick lol.

I hope these comments help you out and that I’ve not come across to harsh.

(y)

Sorry for not replying sooner, firstly thanks for effort you have put in I really do find it helpful.

Regarding the M3 comments now that it's explained it really does make sense and agree the rear does not match the side with all those white highlights.

For my motor we lit that half way through the afternoon, I poorly explained what I was after and our instructor helped with the positioning of lights etc, so glad you think that one came out okay.

As for white vignetting again I'm in agreement, in fact I wasn't that happy with the image once I did it but was being lazy and it was a quick way of masking out the background.

I think I'm going to re-visit a few of these in photoshop and see if it's possible to correct some of the areas I'm not happy with.

Again thanks for the comments, all very useful. :)

Hi there. Congrats on your first studio shoot.

I'm not going to go into detail unless you want me to without really saying whats already been said. My only take on it is that some of the shots are a little too over processed, and over exposed. Would have been nice to pic out some features of the cars and get some different angles. But good job on your first go.

Back