Pit Bonk Wench

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Was not sure which category to post this in, hope iv'e got it right. The image was taken at the Black Country Living Museum this Thursday, considering I'm Black Country born and bred this was my first visit. The shot shows a Re-enactor portraying a Pit Bonk Wench having a break, these women's job at the pit was to sort and bag by hand the coal by different grades.

Pit Bank Wench by Paul Martin, on Flickr

Rgds Paul

Lovely photo Paul ! I live about a mile away from the Black Country museum but have only been there once some time ago which was before I had any interest in photography. I feel a need to go there as well as the Iron Bridge museums. What did you shoot this on ?

brilliant take...and the cup o char...puts the date on it
you could have done a bit of olde worlde processing here and still conveyed the message
i worked for the coal board in scotland in 1965 and in a lot of pits there was still hand picking and redding
cheers
geof

I was taken by your use of the term "Pit Bonk".
When I used to visit a cousin 50 odd years ago he used to talk about "goin' up the pit bonk"...it was mining town (Remember those?) and we used to go and play on the pit banks. (Slag heaps.)

Back