Pitch invasion what to do?

Edit My Images
Yes
If there is a pitch invasion at the end of the match what do you do with your equipment? Camera behined goal ect? do you keep taking photos or what?

They're incredibly rare now - mainly because it's illegal and also because clubs get hefty fines when it does happen.

There were two last season and none this.

As for what to do. Abandon your remote and rely on your insurance. Keep snapping.

I disagree Mark!,
last game of the season it seems every numpty & his dog wants to run on the pitch no matter where they finish in the table :(. @ Huddersfield Town the stewards even remove the advertising boards so the poor mites don't trip over them:banghead: leaving us photographers very vulnerable.
To answer the OP's question I now take a backpack style bag to the last match & 10 mins from the end pack up my long lens etc & have the 2 bodies with a 70-200 & either the 17- 24 or 24-70 round my neck, my laptop is also put in the bag but left on obviously, just before final whistle I'll put the bag on my back & wait for the mayhem lol, I tuck my stool wherever & hope it's still there (up to now it always has been).

My Nikon D3 got trashed a couple of seasons ago @ Sheffield Weds after the stewards let the fans jump over the barriers to land on us photographers who had gathered by the dug outs for manager pics:(

If like Mark says it's a "proper" pitch invasion then I'd try & store my gear in the advertising boards & keep shooting. Regards Graham.

Last edited:
That's surprising given that last season's pitch invasion v Huddersfield cost Blackpool £50,000.

There was a big invasion at Burnley a couple of weeks back when they gained promotion back into the Prem. All the togs started packing up well before the final whistle and found a secure corner for rolling cases/big lenses by the tunnel where there were lots of stewards. Some also got most of their gear back into the press room - always manned - before the final whistle. Once you're in the middle of an invasion you need eyes in the back of your head and as little gear on you as possible if you have any plans to move around and actually take any pics.

I also got caught in one at Preston last season, which turned very nasty for one or two away players. You definitely don't want to be caught in the middle of thousands of people with a laoptop and a big lens. Gear first and pics second basically IMHO.

Kit goes away on 80 minutes and keep out two bodies and lenses. Keep kit close just in case

Yeagh pitch invasions do still happen at end of season.. thats football.. the excitement can't be quelled by thousands of people thinking.. oh what about a club fine... no its going to happen no matter what

I bought a small chain and padlock.. just before end of game i locked up my peli case chained to a post and just had the 24-70 and one body for the pitch invasion... I have one on wed (tomorrow as i post and if the home team win i guarantee a pitch invasion.. so its chain out lock and secure ready for action..

There was a big invasion at Burnley a couple of weeks back when they gained promotion back into the Prem. All the togs started packing up well before the final whistle and found a secure corner for rolling cases/big lenses by the tunnel where there were lots of stewards. Some also got most of their gear back into the press room - always manned - before the final whistle. Once you're in the middle of an invasion you need eyes in the back of your head and as little gear on you as possible if you have any plans to move around and actually take any pics.

I also got caught in one at Preston last season, which turned very nasty for one or two away players. You definitely don't want to be caught in the middle of thousands of people with a laoptop and a big lens. Gear first and pics second basically IMHO.
Nope, quite a few didn't have a chance to. I managed to get out of the way but a lot didn't. There were 24 of us down at the Burnley end as Charlton had put 10 foot high nets up at the Covered end which we couldn't shoot through. The media tunnel is also at that end. The Burnley fans pretty much ran over the top of everyone

1463549827321.jpg

Nope, quite a few didn't have a chance to. I managed to get out of the way but a lot didn't.

How could they not know that was going to happen ?

The Burnley pitch invasion I mentioned was the one against QPR at Turf Moor on the Bank Holiday Monday. Pretty certain that the Turf Moor invasion didn't come as much of a surprise as the stewards seemed to know it was going to happen.

How could they not know that was going to happen ?

Because we weren't expecting it at all from the away fans. It was the Charlton fans that were fully expected to do the pitch invasion. Even the stewards and the police were covering all three home areas with only a handful of stewards on the away end

The Burnley pitch invasion I mentioned was the one against QPR at Turf Moor on the Bank Holiday Monday. Pretty certain that the Turf Moor invasion didn't come as much of a surprise as the stewards seemed to know it was going to happen.

Ah, that makes more sense now! It took about 10 minutes for the Charlton fans to actually join them on the pitch. It was actually quite moving seeing both sets of fans join up on the pitch with the Burnley fans fully supporting the protest and joining in

well the pitch invasion was at the away end tonight :(

More dangerous than a pitch invasion.. this is me tonight accringotn v wimbledon getting well out the way...Incoming!!

run.jpg

well the pitch invasion was at the away end tonight :(

More dangerous than a pitch invasion.. this is me tonight accringotn v wimbledon getting well out the way...Incoming!!
Didnt you take cover under the advertising boards at Blackpool when there was a pitch invasion mate

Didnt you take cover under the advertising boards at Blackpool when there was a pitch invasion mate

Put my cameras under.the boards just in time..well one of em... I just got squashed.. newish laptop off you..still using it and it still has a hole in the case where a fan stood on it during the stampede ...

Put my cameras under.the boards just in time..well one of em... I just got squashed.. newish laptop off you..still using it and it still has a hole in the case where a fan stood on it during the stampede ...
Like hens teeth them laptops mate, if i recall didn't we canabilise a spare one i had to get youre running again

Tony I have the same laptop sitting doing nothing now I've bought a thinkpad so if you want a spare give me a call!

Cheers mate.. I actually have three of them now.. one workign and 2 for spares :) original off gary then another off gary.. then i was in car doing pics and spilt my flask killing the keyboard .. for 80 quid got another laptop off ebay and unlike the others had backlit KB :) Anyway.. got plenty.. cheers for the thought though :)

Back