Critique Pitstone Windmill

Name
Richard Walton
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip out to Pitstone Windmill in Buckinghamshire this evening, hoping to capture some sunset/golden hour shots.

Hope you like them. Feel free to critique as usual.

1)

30-01-22-1(1).jpg

2)

30-01-22-11(1).jpg

3)

30-01-22-10(1).jpg

4)

30-01-22-9(1).jpg

5)

30-01-22-19(1).jpg

6)

30-01-22-16(1).jpg

Thanks for looking. (y)

I live around a 15 minute drive from the windmill, but haven't photographed it for donkeys years. Last time was a silhouette against a vivid sunset.

My favourites from the set are the first, third and last. Re the first, personally I think the intensity of the red wheel draws my eyes away from the main body of the windmill. It might benefit from slightly reducing the red saturation intensity.

Last edited:
Very nice Richard, is it still working ?
Thanks very much. I'm not entirely sure if it's still working. I've not been there in twenty odd years and it was all shut up when I arrived at 16:00hrs.

I live around a 15 minute drive from the windmill, but haven't photographed it for donkeys years. Last time was a silhouette against a vivid sunset.

My favourites from the set are the first, third and last. Re the first, personally I think the intensity of the red wheel draws my eyes away from the main body of the windmill. It might benefit from slightly reducing the red saturation intensity.
Thank you very much.
I can see what you mean by the red wheel now.
Being seriously colour blind I tend not to notice things like that. :confused:

Thanks very much. I'm not entirely sure if it's still working. I've not been there in twenty odd years and it was all shut up when I arrived at 16:00hrs.
I don’t see how the sails could work in that condition.

Looking again at the pictures. I'm certain that Nr 5 is a couple of degrees out of level.

I don’t see how the sails could work in that condition.
I don't think it can actually be run these days but it is complete enough to do so.
As I understand it from a school visit, about 43 years ago (EEK!!!), this is actually a post-mill. It sits on a huge central post and can be turned to catch the wind from whichever direction it's coming from. There was a lever attached to the arm that has the wheel on it that when pulled down it lifted the steps so that the miller could spin the mill into the right direction to catch the wind. Amazing to think that it could be turned by man power alone.
The sails had huge canvas coverings on them, much like sailing boats, and had to be taken down when not in use. One day a huge storm blew up and the miller didn't take down the sails and couldn't turn the mill around in time. The storm literally ripped the sails right out of the top of the mill and destroyed it completely. I can't remember when it was repaired, but it is the oldest mill of its type in the UK I believe.

I don't think it can actually be run these days but it is complete enough to do so.
As I understand it from a school visit, about 43 years ago (EEK!!!), this is actually a post-mill. It sits on a huge central post and can be turned to catch the wind from whichever direction it's coming from. There was a lever attached to the arm that has the wheel on it that when pulled down it lifted the steps so that the miller could spin the mill into the right direction to catch the wind. Amazing to think that it could be turned by man power alone.
The sails had huge canvas coverings on them, much like sailing boats, and had to be taken down when not in use. One day a huge storm blew up and the miller didn't take down the sails and couldn't turn the mill around in time. The storm literally ripped the sails right out of the top of the mill and destroyed it completely. I can't remember when it was repaired, but it is the oldest mill of its type in the UK I believe.
Thanks, Very interesting. Must be quite a job fettling the sails in the old days. I realised it was a post mill from the wheel! I’ve never seen one working :(.

Yes well not being an ''Expert'' but I do see that the wheel is bolted to the ground thus preventing the mill to slew into the prevailing wind.. As for the rather primitive seat or bench I have no plausible explanation only nescience.
Sorry for the ''Long Winded '' summery.

Yes well not being an ''Expert'' but I do see that the wheel is bolted to the ground thus preventing the mill to slew into the prevailing wind.. As for the rather primitive seat or bench I have no plausible explanation only nescience.
Sorry for the ''Long Winded '' summery.
Yes, I wondered if that was to stop hooligans ‘playing‘ with it. Since there is no cloth on the sails I guess it will not be affected much by the wind but it’s equally likely that it is no longer operated. It’s obviously not a working mill since it stands alone in a field with no road or outbuildings etc.

Last edited:
Yes well I prefer to believe that it may well be in working condition. It more than likely is not a commercial working mill but I daresay that the main components being of a large wooden pegged gear wheel and driving gear would still be intact. One must not assume that because there appears to be no access road or pathway that the workings are not viable . Yes indeed the ''Hooligans'' that you made mention of would be tempted to make mischief . However it is a credit to the custodians of the mill that it is in such good condition considering climatic conditions prevailing.

Back