PIXAPRO Softboxs..

I've got one of their strip boxes , the brolly type with a 4x4cm grid . They also have a website with 10% off at the minute . http://essentialphoto.co.uk
The quality isn't the highest , but seems fine for general use . I have bought a few things from them and will always consider them for other bits and always keep an eye on the offers . If you need to put up or take down the box often I'd opt for the brolly type every day .

How do they compare to other makes? (Build quality aside)

Light quality wise I'd say on par with most other brands . I'd get one with the 4x4 grid as this seems to be the size that's deemed most usable any bigger seems to be useless in controlling the light . I don't know how much use your going to put it through , for my use if it was a choice of a more expensive or two of these I'd opt for the latter .

Anyone know anything about this make? they are very reasonably priced!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIXAPRO-E...graphy_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item2a3e68097b

I'm using one of their 120CM Octaboxes and a silver 17" beauty dish. I think they are pretty well made and considering so many modifiers are produce from the same couple of factories in China the feeling I get is that we are often paying more purely for a brand name.

The octabox measures about 1/3rd of a stop difference from the centre of the box to the edge and from what I understand of far more expensive boxes, that is about the same.

I have been told by one supplier that they sell exactly the same softboxes as Profoto, but at 1/5th of the price.

One brand, for example, that I really don't think is worth the money is Westcott having had one of their brollies fall to pieces within a few months. The stitching alone was diabolical.

Last edited:
Sounds good! iv gone for the Lencarta in the end, but its interesting what you say about Westcott! iv had two double fold brollies for about 5 years now and they are still in great shape.. the only thing is the screw for the tip is a little wonky! but other than that..

Sounds good! iv gone for the Lencarta in the end, but its interesting what you say about Westcott! iv had two double fold brollies for about 5 years now and they are still in great shape.. the only thing is the screw for the tip is a little wonky! but other than that..

I can only assume Westcott's quality has gone down since you bought yours, mine was more recent. I Googled and I'm not the only one who isn't impressed :)

I've bought an 80x120 gridded softbox from them very recently. Only downside is the package tore in transit and when it arrived, two of the poles were poking out... and I'm guessing the other two poles were at a Royal Mail depot somewhere!

So, I'll let you know what their aftersales customer service is like in a few days... :)

(but frustratingly that means I have a nice new strobe sitting here with no compatible modifiers except a brolly!)

I've bought an 80x120 gridded softbox from them very recently. Only downside is the package tore in transit and when it arrived, two of the poles were poking out... and I'm guessing the other two poles were at a Royal Mail depot somewhere!

So, I'll let you know what their aftersales customer service is like in a few days... :)

(but frustratingly that means I have a nice new strobe sitting here with no compatible modifiers except a brolly!)

Looking forward to hearing how you get on .
It would be good to know what they're like dealing with problems

I think that will be a big thing on seeing how they deal wirh issues. A few years back i bought a Lencarta octabox( folding umbrella type) which i only use on the odd occassion. Recently a wire broke connecting the spokes to the shaft.It was out of warranty, wasnt bought directly from Lencarta however Gary asked me to send it to them. It was replaced with a newer designed unit which was sent to me free of charge. Other makers may have good items for sale but Lencarta are very helpful if something does go wrong.

To be fair to them, they were very responsive with perfect English and after Sending them a photo of what I'd received they put a replacement set of poles in the post...

That's great stuff . I wasn't too sure how they'd deal with issues .

Back