pixl-latr Film Digitising Assistant - Kickstarter Campaign Now Live

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi All. Just a quick heads up for anyone looking for a simple, neat solution for holding your 135/120/4x5 film flat to allow you to digitally scan it with a DSLR/CSC/Phone. The pixl-latr from Hamish Gill (35mmc.com) and Chroma Cameras (well, I designed it anyway!) has been officially launched on Kickstarter;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hamishgill/pixl-latr-helping-you-digitise-35mm-120-and-4x5-fi

Whilst this is not intended to replace a dedicated flatbed/drum scanner, it provides a solution for holding your film and can be illuminated with anything behind it including a tablet, torch, lightbox or natural light to create a simple scanning workflow for web uploads. The unit is made using laser cut matte black/opaque acrylic and comes with a simple stand so it can also be used as an awesome natural light frame for your slides. I'm obviously biased, but it would make an excellent unit alongside your shiny Chroma's ;)

The campaign will be running for 30 days so if you're interested, take a look at the link above.

Cheers
Steve

Backed too (y)

I backed this too but it is quickly turning into a shining example of how not to do kickstarter..

I am currently unable to predict a timeline because we have yet to decide on a production method.

I backed this too but it is quickly turning into a shining example of how not to do kickstarter..

I saw Hamish's update last night as well :0( Since he's started working with the new designers I haven't had any involvement in it so I'm not sure what he's planning on making the front out of now, although the renders look neat.

Mine arrived this week too. Taken so long to turn up that I've lost interest in it :rolleyes:

Does it hold the negative flat or better than say the Lomogtaphy digitaliza?

Mine arrived today.

Does it hold the negative flat or better than say the Lomogtaphy digitaliza?

It's main benefit is that it will do 4x5, 35mm and 120 all in one device whereas the Digitalizers you need 1 for each. Not sure if there are Digitalizers for 4x5(?)
It's also really designed for people who DSLR scan.

I don't know whether it holds the neg flatter, but I'd say it was better because for me, better = quicker. I can load 6 frames of 35mm into the digitalizer, but with this, you do 3 frames then need to slide the negs and do another three. With 120, you can do 2 645 or 6x6 frames in one go, or just 1 6x7. Again, with the digitalizer, you can do more as it has a 17cm gate as opposed to the 13cm gate of this. The Digitalizers are also much quicker to feed negs into. That magnetic clip thing is genius. It looks like you have to slide the neg in with this.

I would imagine you could get a quick workflow going with it, but it doesn't meet my needs sadly.

I have the digitalizer and have found it doesn't always hold the negs flat.
Definitely helps if the neg is already pretty flat.

I finished the design for my Pixl-Latr Graflok/International Standard frame today, along with its’ matching mirrorless camera lens board;

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

This lets you use any large format camera (with Graflok compatible mounts) as a light sealed copy stand. I digitised this 6x6 image today, holding my Chroma in one hand, with my Sony A7 and OM Zuiko 50/3.5 macro lens, pointing it towards the sky as a backlight [emoji3]

Adjustments.JPG

I’m going to be adding these to my shop this week as a set for £40 [emoji1303]

This was a single shot of a 4x5 sheet (which I noticed the hair on my sensor afterwards!)

Adjustments.JPG

This is 135 slide (Provia), with the same hair [emoji23]

Adjustments.JPG

Both transferred direct to my phone, which was in my other hand, then a very quick edit.

What kind of resolution do you get for 4x5?

That will depend on the lens you use (magnification factor to fill the frame for a single image like mine above), and whether you shoot multiple images and stitch, or just take a single shot. My OM lens doesn’t reach 1:1 magnification, so there’s some cropping, although the shots above aren’t far off the full sensor, which is 24mp.

How do reckon it compares to a flat bed? Yeah I know I'm asking loads of questions but I'd probably get rid of my v500.

How do reckon it compares to a flat bed? Yeah I know I'm asking loads of questions but I'd probably get rid of my v500.

I’ve been pretty impressed with the results, especially considering I don’t have a light panel behind it. Looking at the results shared on the Pixl-Latr Facebook group, they look as good as a flat bed, and considerably faster to do too.

Back