PIXMA IP8750 Help required

DGC

Name
David Cooper
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to understand the relationship between applications and my new IP8750 printer. I have a sample photo (jpeg) I have been working with which looks fine on screen, but prints darker than I would like. I have been using Canon's Image Garden and EasyPhoto apps under Windows 10 to print this test photo onto Canon glossy paper and Canon ink. I have an AOC IPS screen and my
printer is connected via USB to my ASUS laptop..

I don't want to edit the original photo to make it lighter because it looks fine on screen. I want to use the 'manual' settings in printer preferences to adjust the brightness/contrast etc. I have tried making 'manual' adjustments to brightness, contrast, intensity in conjunction with the various combinations of printer preference settings under 'Matching', ie Driver, ICM & None, but I cannot get the printer to print a lighter version of the photo.

Before I drain the world of Canon ink and exhaust Canon's paper supply, is there some kind soul who could enlighten me as to how I get the printer driver to respond to manual adjustments in preferences.

I am running on the latest printer driver, installed today.

Thanks,

David

Screen might need calibration. And welcome to TP.

Thanks Nod,

I don't think it is anything to do with the screen. If I produce a print that is too dark/light etc, I ought to be able to use Printer Preferences to manually adjust the printer to next time produce that same print a bit lighter, darker, greener and so on. Isn't this what the manual adjustment settings in printer preferences is for?

It doesn't make any visible difference to the print when I use manual settings to make a dramatic change and I was hoping someone could explain why this might be. The screen is not a factor in making manual adjustments to printer preferences and at this moment I'm just trying to understand why this doesn't work... at least for me.

David

Usually a print that's "too dark" is closely related to a screen that's too bright, and often an un-calibrated screen as well. I turn the brightness of my screen right down when I'm photo editing now, and it helps. As well as the above, there is of course the problem that the print is viewed by reflected light and the screen by transmitted light, so again the print tends to look darker.

I use a Mac rather than a Win machine for printing, and in the print menu from Aperture there is a brightness option; I tend to turn this up by 10-15% and generally that way the combination of darkened screen and brightened print gets me a happy result (not a pro result, natch). The two apps you mention are very much "instant print" apps; there might be some more sophisticated software you could get for little money that would have more options in the driver?

Did you get options to select paper type (gloss, semi gloss, matt etc) and perhaps paper profiles, for example? That certainly makes a difference.

Thanks Chris,

I take the point about screen brightness. My issue is that printer preferences should allow me to manually brighten/darken/Intensify the print, regardless of what I see on the monitor. I'm comparing print with print, not print with monitor. If I print the same photo once with auto colour and again with manual adjustments, I would expect to visibly see those manual adjustments in my printout. It doesn't for me and I'v now pretty much given up trying to work out why. I normally use Photoshop and Lightroom but I used Canon software/printer/Ink/Paper in this thread to demonstrate I wasn't introducing any compatibility issues. I have been using the paper profiles and yes, they do make a difference.

Thanks again...

two major things to look at when printing.

1. Calibrate your screen.
2.. Use a CUSTOM printer/paper/ink profile.

Some generic profiles will have specific settings. You need to turn OFF any ICM profile so that the printer isn't double profiling.

Back