Pixmantic Raw Shooter Premium Edition

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Pixmantic Raw Shooter Premium Edition is now out. I'm just downloading a trial version. It seems we can buy this for 35 quid as long as we do it before the end of October - a saving of about 50 quid.

LOL I know. It looks pretty good though. There's a user and workflow guide written by Andy Rouse.

What Is NEW In RawShooter | premium 2006?

• Camera RAW support for Canon EOS 5D and Canon EOS 1D II N

RAW vs. RAW Comparison

Curves / Levels Support

Integrated Downloader

Personalized Appearance

Correction Tools (Vibrance, Color Balance, Hot Pixel / Pattern Noise Suppression)

FastBrowse

Image Formatting Toolbox (Horizon Straighten, Image Rotation, Cropping)

Magnifier

FastProof Mode

Batch Rename

Interpolation

Extended Color Support

Ian, I'd be interested to hear how you compare it against CS2?

regards

Full specs from the site...

RawShooter | premium 2006

Current version 1.0.0 (Windows only)

The Ultimate RAW Workflow Tool!

RawShooter premium 2006 is a product that sets new standards for DSLR workflow. Whether you are a busy professional with demanding clients or an amateur balancing your photography with the pressures of work and family life, time is your main enemy. RawShooter | premium 2006 is designed to minimize the time spent at your workstation, giving you the best quality output and the fastest and simplest workflow of any similar product on the market today. RawShooter | premium 2006 contains a lot of technology with core functionality such as:

• Integrated Image Downloader: Integrated downloader of RAW images from an external card reader or a portable device to a chosen workstation directory. Automatically flattens any number of directories to a single one and creates high resolution proxy files used for the slideshow
• RAW vs. RAW Comparison: The ability to tile upto 4 images on the same screen, to move around them all simultaneously and to zoom to the same locaiton on each
• Powerful File Browser: Full support for drag & drop, shortcuts, cursor sensitive hints and tips, scalable thumbnails, customizable background color and directory management including creation / rename (individually or batch) / deletion and defining favorites
• Image Priority: Assignment of priorities to individual or group of images
• Slideshow: Full screen slideshow of RAW images. During the editing process, individual files can be assigned priorities via the slideshow, or consigned to the recycle bin
• Dynamic Preview: True to life representation of how your converted image will look. Unlike, other previews, the dynamic preview instantly shows the effects of any changes that you make to the RAW iage, even at highmagnifications
• Powerful Image Correction Tools: Image adjustment tools are provided for white balance, exposure compensation, dynamic range (fill light), shadow and highlight contrast, hue & saturation, sharpness, detail extraction, noise supression (both low frequency and color). Effects of slider based adjustments will be shown on the Dynamic Preview, no matter what the magnification
• Curves/Levels Support: Corrections to be made to tonal and exposure range of the image
• Image Formatting Tools: Allow arbitrary rotation (to straighten horizons), lens distortion correction and image cropping (either freeform or to set standard)
• Snapshot: Several variations of the same RAW file, all with different levels of correction applied
• Integral Color Database: Fully color managed. No direct changes are made to RAW files. Any color changes made are stored externally from the product
• Multi-threaded Batch processing: Options such as output format (TIFF/JPEG) and automatic tagging of ICC profiles. Converts huge files in seconds with images queued for conversion in the background. Supports dual processors for maximum conversion speed

Fast Proof Mode: Create email sized JPEGS at blazing speed

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_premium.html

As said, for people who pre-registered its only $40 until the end of October.

I've been playing with it for the last 15mins and it certainly has some nice touches.

Particularly like the magnifier tool. The way the straighten image works and the grid on the crop tool are nice.

Can't see that big a feature over the free one that would make me want to buy it. Heretic that I am I do not use RAW most of the time and only switch to it when I see something may be difficult to expose correctly. I do see the benefits of RAW but dislike spending time processing etc.

Hmm. It certainly seems like a better product. It even seems like some features are borrowed from Apple's Aperature, or vice-versa :) Shame it doesn't support stacking. God how I need that feature.

Just downloading now to give it a try with some photographs I took yesterday. I will have a play today and if I like the changes enough I will buy the full product to take advantage of the special offer. :)

So who has downloaded the trial and what are your opinions...dislikes/likes/worth the money?

Anyone planning to buy the full product or are you happy with RawShooter Essentials.

I downloaded it and TBH I'm not sure whether it is worth the money...for me anyway.
I like RSE and after reading the manual (one of the first times ever ;)) I feel I get on great with it.

I downloaded RSP and I do like the extra features.I haven't tinkered with some new features yet (quick websized preview), and a few others.

I like the image formatting tools, (Rotate, crop), and the curves tool, and also the way the image corrections are now 'grouped'. Also found the image comparison handy too.

It does have a much better feel over it now, but is it worth the money? I'm not sure. Especially as the free version does most of what I need out of a Raw Conversion Tool anyway.

I won't be using the downloader either, as I use simple windows explorer for that. No need for anything else really.

TBH I think I may be happy with RSE. I don't see enough extra to justify the cost of purchasing the Premium. I suppose I will be in the minority here, but my post processing isn't at a level advanced enough to take advantage of what RSP can do over RSE.

I think they have done a great job at providing the tools that most would want and its great to have them available at the RAW level of the workflow. like you I like the crop, rotate and curves. The other tools I can see myself using more if I adapt my workflow but thats the problem, I really need more time to play and see how much of an improvement it is over Essemtials. I am thinking it will be worth the discount rate once I am famaliar with it but maybe not the full price.

I think by only giving us a few days to get it at the discount price it might actually lose them a few customers.

I've purchased it already, because it is the cheapest RAW software available, and very powerful.
The extra tools included in the premium addition are a benefit to me, and will be used most of the time.

I Think Capture 1pro was created by the same chap that has done most of the coding on RSE/P, and look how much that is now (499 euro).

I've bought it - I never really knew wther to use CS2 or RS but this version of RS has tipped it. It provides the bits that CS2 had and I prefer the interface and workflow of RS.

regards

I agree, it's a bit short notice to assess it properly but I've bought it, it seems a lot more poweful than the freebie version.

CT said:
I agree, it's a bit short notice to assess it properly but I've bought it, it seems a lot more poweful than the freebie version.

I forgot about the deadline until late at night when I was in bed and I couldn't be bothered with switching the pc back on and going through all the hassel :icon_eek:

I checked first thing the following morning and the site was still showing the dicount so I bit the bullet and purchased. I think as Matt has stated it is powerful and by far the cheapest RAW conversion software available. Plus I have used Essentials for all my RAW conversion previously so for that reason alone I think it was worth the expense.

One other thing, I think RSE is being updated too in the near future for those of us are happy with it but hanker after the newness of RSP.

I think you are right Sammy, I know that they have promised at least added support for new camera models such as the Canon 5D so I would not be suprised if they don't add other stuff as well.

How do these RAW software packages differ from the one I received free with my Camera ??
Is the Canon RAW convertor no good.

Only just got all my kit - have taken a few photos but as yet I havent looked at converting from RAW. Should I be looking at a specific workflow?? or are there any pointers to whats best to do when converting ??

Cheers

Mr THX said:
How do these RAW software packages differ from the one I received free with my Camera ??
Is the Canon RAW convertor no good.

Only just got all my kit - have taken a few photos but as yet I havent looked at converting from RAW. Should I be looking at a specific workflow?? or are there any pointers to whats best to do when converting ??

Cheers

Actually the Canon version is quite good but the workflow is just different. There are many different software packages that allow raw conversion and each has it's own followers. There is nothing wrong with trying a few and chosing which ever you feel suits you the best. What you must do though is understand how to use each as otherwise your results will not be true to what each is capable of producing.

If you have never worked with RAW before or are just setting off down that path I would download the free version which is called RawShooter Essentials. Once installed it gives quick and easy controls over eveything that you could want to adjust from colour balance, temperature, exposure, highlight contrast, shadow details etc and works for approximately +/- 2 stops of lattitude.

With regards to workflow I would reccomend reading the guide that comes with it as it will teach you a great deal. What you are aiming for is as much of your "corrections/adjustments" as possible being performed during the raw stage as this is working with the camera raw data and will give you the best results.

After that you can correct things like the horizon level, crops etc in your preferred image editing package for now or if you take to working with Rawshooter you can purchase the Premium 2006 version which has additional features.

Back