Pl-Cr filter sticking

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Have a thin 82mm PL-Cr which when used with a adaptor ring has the tendency to stick to the ring and is a major pain to part them.

Any ideas/suggestions to prevent the sticking would be appreciated.

Expensive one first - buy B&W ones - because they are made of brass they don't stick.

I've had ones that got stuck before, and generally you just need to grip both rings firmly (which is tough with thin ones!) and just keep turning, and it'll just unscrew randomly, but I don't really know of a way to stop them sticking sometimes. If you always rotate the c-pol counter to the threading that helps too.

Expensive one first - buy B&W ones - because they are made of brass they don't stick.

I've had ones that got stuck before, and generally you just need to grip both rings firmly (which is tough with thin ones!) and just keep turning, and it'll just unscrew randomly, but I don't really know of a way to stop them sticking sometimes. If you always rotate the c-pol counter to the threading that helps too.

Cheers for your suggestions.

This one has gone expensive - its a Singh Ray.

The adaptor ring is a Hoya so nothing hi-tech in materials here. I was wondering about something like a Silicon spray on the thread.

Tom

I've ended up with a 72mm C-Pol stuck on a 67mm stepping ring for ages, then one day it just unscrewed really easily :LOL:

I didn't dare screw it back on again!

I'd be a little worried about any sort of oil or spray - chances are it'll somehow work its way in between the glass in the C-Pol (which is made up of two layers)

I was advised to run a soft graphite pencil along the threads, it has made my filters a lot less prone to sticking.

Also, I got some filter wrenches, for example, if you were to search for:
filter wrench -oil
on a well-known tat-site , sorry auction site, there will be several similar items. I found them great for my PL's, where other methods (such as using rubber gloves) just are not suitable

I've ended up with a 72mm C-Pol stuck on a 67mm stepping ring for ages, then one day it just unscrewed really easily :LOL:

I didn't dare screw it back on again!

I'd be a little worried about any sort of oil or spray - chances are it'll somehow work its way in between the glass in the C-Pol (which is made up of two layers)

Yes that's that feeling I have at the moment - so far I have been able to 'unstick' it buts its not easy and there is always the feeling that maybe this time it wont come undone.

I was advised to run a soft graphite pencil along the threads, it has made my filters a lot less prone to sticking.

Also, I got some filter wrenches, for example, if you were to search for:
filter wrench -oil
on a well-known tat-site , sorry auction site, there will be several similar items. I found them great for my PL's, where other methods (such as using rubber gloves) just are not suitable

Thank you - wrenches don't work as they are thin mounts there is nothing to really to grip on.

Interesting idea re graphite, think I will see if using a Lenspen tip - which is graphite based - over the adaptor thread will help.

Tom

Have you tried the wrenches? They work on the polarisers I have, the grip is 2mm wide, you can't have smaller than that can you? It would cut your hand!

Have you tried the wrenches? They work on the polarisers I have, the grip is 2mm wide, you can't have smaller than that can you? It would cut your hand!

Have tried the wrenches and sometimes it works sometimes not and I'm really trying to find a means on ensuring that they unscrew each time.

Today, I tried the graphite route via a lenspen tip and sometimes it still sticks so I will have to experiment more on this over the w/e.

Tom

Back