Places to Photograph in Norfolk

Name
Sharon
Edit My Images
Yes
We are off to Norfolk on Saturday for a few days and coming back next Wednesday, we are staying near to Somerleyton House in Lowestoft.

Can anyone recommend any good places to photograph in that area? I think we are planning a trip to Banham Zoo and possibly a trip to Somerleyton House as well but any other recommendations would be great.

Banham zoo's sister site is just outside Lowestoft, Africa Alive I think it's called.

The beach at Aldeburghs a popular spot.

If I think of any more I'll let you know....

Banham is definately worth a visit. I have a season ticket and it never ceases to amaze me how good it is for a small zoo.

I know it's not Norfolk but Southwold is very nice (oldy worldy) has pier, beach, harbour, pretty streets. Also has the Adnams brewery which do tours, might be good for pics and a pint or two or broadside? For sneaky portrait work Yarmouth could be good, just be careful not to get beaten up unsavoury families on holiday. The broads might be worth a look but unless you hire a boat you'd be limited. Norwich is a very pretty city, especially around the cathedral. There are also lots of wildlife reserves dotted around probably worth a look on rspb etc website.

Fish and chips from the dolphin fish bar/restaurant on Bevan st, a few minutes walk from Lowestoft train station. Then take them to eat on Gunton cliff road (5 minute car journey) and enjoy the sea view.

Slight drift to the topic with regard to the food and drink but there are other things in life other than taking photos's ;)

Thank you all for your replies. A liking the look of Thune Mill :)

Karlosfandango - cheers for that some great info there. My friends have already said they are most looking forward to fish and chips at the seaside so the recommendation is welcomed.

We are planning on going to Yarmouth for the day as well so am sure I can try and get some candid shots while we are there, my husband wants to go to the Pleasure Beach as well so he can go on the roller coaster :LOL:

I went to Southwold on Sunday and it was packed, you also have Dunwich as well.

Check out the big wind turbine (Europe's largest apparently) which is on the shore front at Lowestoft. With a moody/cloudy sky it looks awesome.

There are some half-interesting places in Gt Yarmouth (20 minutes from Lowestoft) and if you're into ships some big machines berth up there.

Don't know if the northern coast is of any interest (Cromer and surrounding area) but the marshland along from Blakeney Point is amazing. Check the tides, as the marshes flood and they can be very, very dangerous but it's amazing around there and like a mini-everglades. :)

Thune Mill

You mean Thurne mill, There are a few mills on the river and you can get some nice evening sunsets there.
Martham staithe is nice too.
If you want a classic Norfolk shot go to Pulls ferry in Norwich after dark, It's a classic icon that most people in Norwich will have photographed at some time in their career. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station :)
Spend a morning at RSPB Minsmere along the A12 and from there check out the rest of Dunwich heath, Then head to Aldeburgh for some of the best Fish and chips in the country, There are 2 chippies both owned by the same people so no coin tossing needed.
:)

You mean Thurne mill, There are a few mills on the river and you can get some nice evening sunsets there.
Martham staithe is nice too.
If you want a classic Norfolk shot go to Pulls ferry in Norwich after dark, It's a classic icon that most people in Norwich will have photographed at some time in their career. It's a 5 minute walk from the train station :)

was typing on a touch screen phone. Its actually Thurne Wind pump - I don't think its a mill.

Pulls Ferry is a classic Norwich shot, as is the Cathedral. There are plenty of photogenic churches and buildings in Norwich.

The beach at Aldeburghs a popular spot.

Nah, that's in the posh one....Suffolk. ;)

There are some really nice bits of coast away from the touristy towns and lots of it is worth exploring. Even some of the sets of electricity pylons are fab to shoot as you can see them march over the land for miles and miles and miles in some parts.

Then of course there are all the disused flip flop factories.

If you are going to go to Lowestoft don't forget the most easterly point of Britain - Ness point.

You have also got some stunnig coastline on the North Norfolk coast if you can get up for the sunrise :thinking:.

Have fun (y)

Just got back from Suffolk. Aldeburgh Beach (and some of the cottages) was nice
The beach at Southwold was heaving
Framlingham Castle is okay, but the countryside was more scenic.

Suffolk Owl Sanctuary was a good find where you can get up close and personal with Owls and other birds of prey.

Back