Scotland Places to stay in Harris

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hoping to book 7- 10 day holiday at the end of February 2024 so looking for recommendations from any of you that have been there.
Cathy

Any particular reason why you're going in February Cathy?
We went in 2019 but stayed near Stornoway and travelled from there.
We stayed in an Airbnb which was a log cabin in someone's garden and it was great. We had a great time and will definitely go back. It was May when we went.....

Last edited:
Thanks for info I will look at it :)

Well I’ve been told it’s best time to go as not as busy so not as many footprints etc on beaches. I went few years ago but weather was horrendous and yes I know going end of Feb into March might be the same it’s a gamble. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

The Harris Hotel, Tarbert. Stayed there on a photography workshop.

Many a workshop uses this hotel for good reason
This is good thank you I will go look
The place we stayed few years ago does not do it anymore so nice if someone can recommend a place they enjoyed while there :)

Thanks for info I will look at it :)

Well I’ve been told it’s best time to go as not as busy so not as many footprints etc on beaches. I went few years ago but weather was horrendous and yes I know going end of Feb into March might be the same it’s a gamble. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Over the last 40 years my experience of NW Scotland, including a number of visits to the Outer Hebrides at different times of the year suggests you can now(and for a few years past) get 'good' and 'bad' weather at any time of the year.

I've seen a month's rain in 24 hours in May and walked in shorts and T shirt in February. As you say, its a gamble, but the 'bad' weather can be spectacular.

I don't think you will have a problem finding an empty beach at just about anytime. It might take a bit of a walk but there are a lot of superb ones. Harris gets accolades for its beaches, eg Luskentyre and Scarista but the other islands have some great ones too.

This is a Sunday afternoon in April on the peninsula north of Grenitote on North Uist

Gpenisula1600 by Dave Marley, on Flickr

Hope you have a great time.

Dave

Having visited my wife's family on Lewis a couple of times, I can attest to having experienced 4 seasons in one day in both spring and autumn months. I still think it's beautiful though, when it's not midge season.

Back