plane photo guidance please

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all a simple question for someone.im using a nikon d90 with a sigma 150 to 500mm lens set at 500mm to take photos of overhead planes anything upto 30000 feet,its a perfect sunny day,blue sky etc,i enlarge the shots in adobe as ive found this to be better than using a kenko 2x converter ive had one shot i can say im happy with after enlargement,im using manual focus and auto on the camera dial should i be using it in a,p or any other mode and if so any rough settings to start with thanks guys

Can you post an example up, along with the settings used to take the shot?

It is much easier to explain what you are not happy with then.

Given the scenario though, I would say you need to be in Shutter priority mode, set to approx 1/1000 second as a started (for jets, less for prop craft). Adjust the ISO so you have an aperture of about F8 which will ensure optimum sharpness with your lens. Focus mode should be continuous tracking and if you are panning set any OS to the panning mode (Or if it doesn't have it, turn OS off).

iwols,

Did you really mean to put 30000 feet? That's cruising altitude ... plane is not much more than a speck in the sky :shrug:

this is the photo im happy with,the original then an edited one, just realised i had used the 2x converter with the 500mm lens

original by iwols, on Flickr
Photo;Date and Time;Exp. Time;F/Stop;Exp. Program;Exp. Bias;Metering Mode;Light Source;Flash;Focal Length;Focal Length (35 mm);ISO Speed;Orientation;Dimensions;File Size;Path

original;23/11/2012 16:00:18;1/200;13.0;Undefined;0;Pattern;Unknown;Not fired, auto mode;1000.0;-;800;Normal;4288 x 2848;3872 KB;C:\Users\i\Desktop\original.JPG

edited2 (1) by iwols, on Flickr
Photo;Date and Time;Exp. Time;F/Stop;Exp. Program;Exp. Bias;Metering Mode;Light Source;Flash;Focal Length;Focal Length (35 mm);ISO Speed;Orientation;Dimensions;File Size;Path

edited2 (1);23/11/2012 16:00:18;1/200;13.0;Undefined;0;Pattern;Unknown;Not fired, auto mode;1000.0;-;800;Normal;4288 x 2848;5984 KB;C:\Users\i\Desktop\edited2 (1).jpg

and these 2 im not happy with once again the original one then an edited one

not happy by iwols, on Flickr

not happy edit by iwols, on Flickr

any comments etc ,looks like i could be wrong with the 2x kenko converter though,looks like its better with it cheers

Last edited:
Simply put, they are too far away.

There is haze which is also impacting quality

And the second shot, which you are unhappy with, the issue is the light. The sun is on the opposite side of the aircraft, so less detail to go on to start with.

Simply put, they are too far away.

There is haze which is also impacting quality

And the second shot, which you are unhappy with, the issue is the light. The sun is on the opposite side of the aircraft, so less detail to go on to start with.

Thanks and a fare comment about the sun

You're trying to shoot a relatively small fast moving object through 7 MILES of atmosphere which is far from the best for optics. There's a reason telescopes and other devices have adaptive optics or use lasers - its to remove the artefacts introduced by mainly this first, thick bit of atmosphere.

Other than only photographing when the sun is directly illuminating the plane and on a day with crystal clear skies (and ideally cold) there isnt a lot you can do.

As you live in South Yorkshire why dont you nip over to Robinhood airport to get your plane phots as its on your door step ?

That is some lens, I use the Canon SX40 at full zoom in auto mode and get something like the ones below. I find the sun position has a lot to do with the quality together with the angle of the photo. The ones directly above will come out better than the ones that are the same distance vertically but further away horizontally.

LufthansaAirbusA380D-AIMANovember182012FRAtoIAHat36kft2.jpg

069_zps915a2ad3.jpg

I also have a Nikon D5100 with 55-300mm lens and I am trying that one out with the overflyers

That is some lens, I use the Canon SX40 at full zoom in auto mode and get something like the ones below. I find the sun position has a lot to do with the quality together with the angle of the photo. The ones directly above will come out better than the ones that are the same distance vertically but further away horizontally.

LufthansaAirbusA380D-AIMANovember182012FRAtoIAHat36kft2.jpg

069_zps915a2ad3.jpg

I also have a Nikon D5100 with 55-300mm lens and I am trying that one out with the overflyers

cheers for that nice to know im not the only one trying to capture the imposssible

As you live in South Yorkshire why dont you nip over to Robinhood airport to get your plane phots as its on your door step ?

does robin hood get very busy i was looking at going today but looked om their arrivals and departures and there is only 3 departures and 3 arrivals all day is this correct,it was the same when i looked the other day when the sun was out or is it that they dont use robinhood airport when the suns out:)

It may be a bit further to go but Manchester Airport has some excellent viewing opportunities (including a well placed official viewing park).
Also the busiest Airport about North of London (y) with plenty of variety.

Ahh, the fun of contrail shots. :)

There's a real element of luck in whether you can get good shots like these, mostly revolving around how well lit the plane is (or rather the direction of the light) and how messed up the air between you and the plane is. If you're shooting an aircraft that's backlit like your BA 747 then there's unlikely to be much chance of it really working. Unless you're specifically after silhouette shots or some other similar effect then backlit planes tend not to work too well at the best of times, never mind when it's miles away from you! By the time you've corrected the exposure it just looks... Well... Kinda wrong.

So the first part of getting good contrail shots is only shooting in light that's likely to work, i.e. when the light is hitting the same side of the plane you're seeing. In terms of settings, I generally stick to my regular aviation shooting mode (for jets at least) of Av and let the camera do it's thing while keeping an eye on my shutter speed to make sure it's quick enough for the focal length I'm using. With your 150-500, you say you were using it at 500mm? That lens probably won't perform as well at 500mm as it does at 400mm, so you might find you actually get a sharper, better quality image by zooming out a little but being able to crop into the image further in post-processing. That feels very counter-intuitive when you do it but it can work. You'll probably also actually get better results not using the 2x TC. People often assume that you need an enormous focal length to get good contrail shots but that's not true, even a 200mm lens on a crop body can get you close enough for it to work.

This was at 400mm on a full frame body, so quite a way out from 500mm on a crop body with a 2x TC. It's not a close-up of the aircraft but it's unreasonable to expect to get that with any standard telephoto camera lens, it still works well as a contrail shot though and there's still enough detail to tell what the plane is (although this is dropped down to 1200 from the original 1600 wide edit). :)

N7wb1.jpg

The real bit of luck is whether the atmosphere will actually allow a clear shot. Just the same as shooting aircraft across tarmac on a hot day will give you heat haze, if there are patches of air at different temperatures between you and the plane then the light will bend and distort before it gets to you. There's nothing you can do about this and no post-processing that can fix it, it's one of those things where you just have to wait for the right moment.

When you're asking about airports to visit for shooting, are you wanting to do more conventional aviation photography on these trips?

Back