Planning on going to the British Wildlife Centre.

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Any advice/recommendations/experiences gratefully received. What lenses would you take.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Are you going on one of their special photography days or just turning up? The special days are expensive (£75) but are well worth it as you get to go into some of the enclosures - wonderful for the foxes and wildcats in particular. They also take some yummy snacks to get them out in the open. You can see some of my images from my trip here.

I'd just got my 300 f2.8 so I used that for everything, but I wish I'd had something a bit shorter for when the animals got very close. Indeed, it was that day that made me decide I needed a 70-200 of some type. So your 300 f4 and 70-200 are the ones I'd recommend. I'd probably bring the macro as well.

If you're not going on a photography special then you'll still be able to get good shots of most of the animals. It's really only the wildcats that would prove to be a problem. Oh, and the otters do seem to kip a lot when they're not being fed.

I hope you have a great day.

Are you going on one of their special photography days or just turning up? The special days are expensive (£75) but are well worth it as you get to go into some of the enclosures - wonderful for the foxes and wildcats in particular. They also take some yummy snacks to get them out in the open. You can see some of my images from my trip here.

I'd just got my 300 f2.8 so I used that for everything, but I wish I'd had something a bit shorter for when the animals got very close. Indeed, it was that day that made me decide I needed a 70-200 of some type. So your 300 f4 and 70-200 are the ones I'd recommend. I'd probably bring the macro as well.

If you're not going on a photography special then you'll still be able to get good shots of most of the animals. It's really only the wildcats that would prove to be a problem. Oh, and the otters do seem to kip a lot when they're not being fed.

I hope you have a great day.

Ah thankyou very much - all the details I needed :)

I was there yesterday. I'd second what Frank said TBH.

I had my 70-300 which was pretty much perfect (ignoring the fact it's a Tamron so a lump of *****...). There were a couple of things that I possibly could've gone even shorter than 70mm for, but for the majority of stuff, that range was fine.

I had no problems with the wildcats or the otters, in fact I found the otters to be very active. I went in the afternoon and hung around until pretty much closing time. They fed everything just before they closed so it's maybe not a bad time to go.

There are a few shots on my Flickr if you're interested :)

Back