Beginner Plants/Flowers

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, as per the bright blue label. I'm after advice, suggestions and pointers to the following. I appreciate they most probably aren't great but we don't learn if we don't ask.
Thanks In Advance

Sam

Hi Sam. For me personally, i think plant pictures need plenty of light so don't know if these (apart from no 4) would benefit from flash.

I like the way that you've framed them all off centre (although maybe with a touch too much space to the right for my taste) but most seem a little dark to me as well. It might be useful for people giving feedback to know what sort of camera you used and settings if you were using manual controls.

Hi Sam

Yes we all start at the beginning and you have made a creditable start with the main subject off centre, that,s a rule I am told, to be broken often in my opinion but useful when starting. I would say that you need to be aware of the all the frame.

Take the first shot, it is very good as far as the main subject goes but could be improved if you had done a little gardening and got rid of the nettle and snipped off the empty stalk next to the flowers. Never be afraid to tidy up the subject or the background by moving camera position or doing a bit of gardening. I carry small garden snips and pegs and twine to get things out of the way.

Number 2 I like I would perhaps crop the yellow flowers out on the right as Number 3.

Number 4 again I would crop out the dead leaf and flower on the right.

Number 5 now this is a good photo spoilt only by the stalks of dead grass in front of the main subject.

I am no expert but I have been at it for years and am still learning, the good thing about digital is that once you have the gear you can take as many photos as you like and practice is good but number one lesson is look at the all the objects in the frame, look behind, to the side and in front the subject is is all going to be part of the finished photo.

I have a slide of an uncle I took at the reception of my cousins wedding. I was 14 at the time and thought I knew it all. I take the slide out and stick in the viewer every now and then it cheers me up no end. It is a really bad photo, my uncle is as clear as a bell, sharp well lit, great so far. However also sharp and well lit and growing out of each ear are lovely chrysanthemums, he looks like an alien from the planet “Flower”. Yep we all begin at the beginning and if we keep at it long enough we realise that every time we learn something new there is even more to learn. Andrew

Thank you all for you C&C, i appreciate everything you advise and suggest. I must add i was out for a walk with the family whilst i took these so they were in no way planned or preempted I may actually look into a small set of snips even if it is to take away a small stalk from the frame. I will continue to crack away at different photos but to clean up the foreground and potentially the nearer back ground.

Many Thanks
Sam

Back