Plastering course

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the middle of renovating a property and need quite a lot of plastering doing, I quite enjoy the hands on approach and so have been looking into doing a plastering course.

Seems to be quite a few companies out there offering 4 day courses from £250 upwards. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of plastering or indeed such courses! Might even turn out to be a profitable little sideline if I'm any good at it!

I know its quite an art and there is a big difference between a good and a bad plasterer but I figure for 4 days and £250 if i can't do it its not the end of the world!! (plus I stand to save about £1500 if I can do all the plastering work on the property myself so will be a little closer to the D700)

Matt

My dad renovated a house last year, and did the plastering himself. I was asking him about it when I was considering getting a couple of rooms skimmed and his response was along the lines of that it's not difficult, just a little tricky when you start out and can require a lot of trial and practice until you get it right.
TBH with the cost of plastering you might as well go for the course (as you've already noted!) Even if you can't do major jobs, if you can successfully skim a flat section of wall then that's a result!

An ex-collegue of mine was in the same situation as you, it worked out cheaper to do the course that to get someone in. He did a few jobs for mates later on too.

I think his course was in Nottingham. Other than that, I can`t tell you alot really. Sorry!

my dad was a builder before he moved on to painting and decorating.

Plastering is something he showed me when I was young. Yes, you can learn it, it'll take months or years to get up to professional standards.

Although, as a beginner you can give it a try, if it doesn't work, pull it down and either try again or pay a pro.

One thing to remember is that don't try and level it when putting it on, just get it as level as possible. The trick is to wait for it to start to go off a bit then level it. at least that's the way I was taught.

I had to plaster over an old door way that had been partitioned off. I did ok, not great but good enough. I used a long spirit level a sandpaper to even up the places that were out ;)

I also found that Homebase's pre-made plaster is a rubbish, best to mix your own :)

Goldentrowel used to have a good name - I'd ask on diynot.com

I also found that Homebase's pre-made plaster is a rubbish, best to mix your own :)

1201004a.jpg

I tried it too...it fell off after a few days. And peeling the backing off enough to cover a wall left me with terrible cramp.

I am a builder and will tell you now you will not learn to plaster in 4 days.

You will learne how to mix it, how to get it off the hawk (spelling) and onto the wall and all the other basics you will need to do the job.

Becoming good at it will take practice, alot of hard work and sweat and tears.
I hear alot of people doing blocking/bricking joinery and plumbing with no experience at all and making a living but hear very few plasterers, its not hard donot get me wrong its like everything you can do it easily but to do it good is a whole different ball game.

Good luck with it hope it goes well for you,

Spike

Had no idea you were a builder Spike - you never gave it away on the R6M! Saying that though I hardly post there anymore these days... :confused:

Back