Play.com 8GB SDHC Class 6 £9.99

I would recommend sticking to Extreme IIIs where possible; they offer faster write speeds.

At almost 3 times the price I should hope so. If on the other hand you want a decent 8gb SDHC card at a great price you can do worse than the play.com one above.

Its explained on the wiki So that card should do at least 6mb/s write speed, but probably not much more. I still think it's a good deal though, even to have a spare in your bag in case you forget your extreme3's or whatever ;)

I've got an 8Gb transcend card that can read at 20mb/s and cost £16 (from mplex, dont think they operated in england)....not sure about write speeds though it is a class 6 as well.

::edit:: bah, someone beat me to the wiki

Last edited:
Sandisk Extreme III SDHC cards are very fast.
For continuous shooting in RAW mode, they make a big difference to the write speed and buffering.
I'm very happy with the perfomance of these for price.

Last edited:
Beware of the Transcend 8Gb. I bought 2 for my wife's Canon P&S. The first one showed 4Gb only so I thought my wife's camera can only accept 4GB maximum. So I advertised it in the forum. When I did a google search, the camera takes SDHC so it should take more than 8Gb. I tried the other one and it registered 8Gb. That means the other is faulty or maybe badged 8gb but its only 4gb.

Beware of the Transcend 8Gb. I bought 2 for my wife's Canon P&S. The first one showed 4Gb only so I thought my wife's camera can only accept 4GB maximum. So I advertised it in the forum. When I did a google search, the camera takes SDHC so it should take more than 8Gb. I tried the other one and it registered 8Gb. That means the other is faulty or maybe badged 8gb but its only 4gb.

Funny that.. I bought an SD card in HK a few years ago, it was labelled 2gb, it was also showing up as 2gb on my pc.. a year or two later, there was only 1gb showing on my pc! tried formatting etc.. weird that!

Bought one from play just recently and it's the full 8gb.

Just sent back the faulty one today for replacement.

Just sent back the faulty one today for replacement.

I only use 4gb cards that way if one does fail you are not going to lose everything and even thinking of going to 2gigs bit of a pain changing but safer really as no card is 100% be it sandisk IV or a 99c one from china if its gonna break its gonna break so what would you rather lose 2gb of work or the whole weekends work:thinking:

Back