Play with studio lighting

Name
Peter Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.

I managed to get a play with the studio lighting at my college today. These where shot with a 30D with 70-200 L F/4 and 18-55mm. The light set up was two 1000Watt Bowens. The light on the right had a white umberlla while the light on the left had barn doors.

I have removed spots from the persons face as well as using a glamour style process of bluring and unmasking the face to help try and give a slightly smoother skin. The eyes have been enhanced a little. Little boost of sharpness and saturation and auto leveled was also the order of the day. Then resized to 800 pixels wide. If anyone would like to see some 100% crops as some sharpness and detail has suffered due to the resize.

I also hope that two images are allowed. I did a bit of checking to make sure it was allowed and can't see anything to the contray. If its not allowed then I'm sorry and could a mod break the links?

Time for the photographs now.

IMG_1642-01.jpg

30D with 70-200 L F/4 at 84mm, 1/125 sec, F/14, ISO 100.

IMG_1638-01.jpg

30D with 70-200 L F/4 at 126mm, 1/125 sec, F/11, ISO 100.

Hope you all like.

Blackvault

Those links are fine my good man :) If you want to link to some larger 100% shots then feel free. The only thing we ask is that if theyre bigger than 800px then please use a link instead :)

The only thing I'd pick fault with is the lighting in the first shot, it's a bit harsh compared to the second one. That might have been intended though?

The only thing I'd pick fault with is the lighting in the first shot, it's a bit harsh compared to the second one. That might have been intended though?

Yes I was experimenting with different light affects. The first image had bare doors on the left hand side light while the right hand had an umbrella. It was just a play around. I also had a go at using filters for the flashes. I look sexy in pink :)

Blackvault

Hmmm... bit too much output on your 'fill' flash there I think - for my liking anyway. Try dialling it down to 2/3 or less of your main light. Repositioning it would help lose the reflection of the fill-light in the subject's eyes as well.
Remember, when you light a subject, always start with one light (and all others switched off), then add more lights progressively until you achieve the effect you're after...

Hmmm... bit too much output on your 'fill' flash there I think - for my liking anyway. Try dialling it down to 2/3 or less of your main light. Repositioning it would help lose the reflection of the fill-light in the subject's eyes as well.
Remember, when you light a subject, always start with one light (and all others switched off), then add more lights progressively until you achieve the effect you're after...

Grand thanks for the advice. I'm possibly interested in purchasing a set of Bowens as I am playing with the idea of setting up my own photography company.

Blackvault

hmmm... I have such a set... they're about £1200 for the three-light set-up I have...
May post it up in the For Sale Section...again...

Back