playing around with macro

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
a few random shots mostly taken with a 70-300 using extension tubes.

9466899021_f64bc0b815_c.jpg

9462260826_c115d61468_c.jpg

9460826120_5e4e94d6a5_c.jpg

9579767718_46b394742b_c.jpg

9158066794_e8038e04c2_c.jpg

Extension tubes have now been binned as one of them snapped while lens was attached and killed my lens.
would love to get a dedicated macro lens but budget currently forbids it ( along with SWMBO )

Excellent colours in all of them but love the straws especially
real shame about your lens is it repairable?

Last edited:
the lens was totally buggered thankfully purchased a replacement from another member on here.. at least it wasnt an expenisve lens ( siggy 70-300 apo dg ).. could have been worse might have been the 70-200 L i used to have !...

still apart from getting a raynox i'll guess i'll just have to hunt around and save my pennies and see if i can get a true 1:! macro

oh no (about the lens), was it the cheap metal extension tubes? Thats scary!

Love the straws, very arty! Mushroom and the stamen, very cool indeed! Great set dean, I went out this morning, cheap setup, might just throw the macro lens away - there's no need for it! (Im serious, not about throwing the lens away, but the cheap setup - whooah, Im seriously impressed if you check it out, will post in a bit!)

yeah they were the cheap AF aware MAcro ring set.. essentially the locking pin between 1 and 2 decided to pop the spring causing them to "fall apart"
i guess the weight of the 70-300 didnt really help much!
im tempted to hunt around on ebay for some old bellows and just give those a try with my nifty fity.

Another vote for the straws one, really well shot / clever and i make no excuses i will be trying something similar out :)

with the straws i just put them in a shallow glass/tumbler then fanned them out until the glass wasnt visible. then used some blue paper to sit it on and shot it from standing on a chair with it sat on the table ( probably would have been easier to just set it up on the floor!
was shot with tripod and camera angled at straight down then manually focused to get the tops sharp.
wish id had a wider range of colours but still it came out better than expected when i was first setiing it up.

Back