Playing with 40D on the way home...

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I thought I'd have a play with my 40D when I received it last week at my office. So, knowing the courier was going to be delivering I went to work armed with a remote shutter release and my tripod in the boot.

I think on the way home I took about 80 shots (it's only 12 miles) of which I think the following are the best 3.

I'd love some feedback (be kind please ;)):

carlights.jpg

carlights2.jpg

carlights3.jpg

And here's the first one with a despeckle on the windscreen and also a bit of photoshopping on the iDrive screen just to balance it out a little:

carlightspp.jpg

TIA

no use of the indicators I see at that rounderbout, typcal BMW driver :LOL:

Think the last shot is the best, your right about the screen in the first being too bright. Also I like the fact the white balance is off, gives a warmth to the shot(y)

Thanks Chris, In my defence I was going straight on and JUST ABOUT to indicate for my exit :razz:

The warmth also comes from the ambient lighting in the car. There are several orange LED's in the roof that illuminate the cabin (t'is a nice effect).

I kind of think the last one is a little over done (with the despeckle) simply because I hadn't cleaned the windscreen. I think the clarity would of been much better other wise.

ooo I do like those :) nice angle too. Think the last one is the winner (y) nice one

What a good idea, nice shots. I like the first & last ones best (y):clap:

Some people have to much money and not enough time on their hands..... ;)

What do you think about positioning the camera right between the headrests of the car? I was thinking it might not get enough lateral movement of the lights to give interesting enough trails?

I have tried it between the headrests before, wasnt as interesting as your shots :(

Damn cant find what I did with my shots from between headrest :(

Found that sticking it out the sunroof was fun though :D (well Marcel actually took this shot as I was driving)
vortexvl0.jpg

ooooooh, now THAT's an idea and a half!

Anyone got a can opener big enough to make a hole in a 3 series roof? :D

Yeah, it obviously works, but it's almost as if there's too much detail and it becomes distracting (if you get my drift).

That's gotta be a relatively fast shutter speed tho'?

I think mine were something like 3 seconds.

Yeah that was pretty fast shutter speed, took it for a timelapse sequence so was keeping the shutter speeds semi-normal. You tend to end up with either lots of roof or dash from that angle, and the rear view mirror is in the way too (cloned it out for shot above)

Nice pics :) I definitely prefer the Photoshopped version, along with Jimmy's out of sunroof effect :)

I'm also interested in trying similar effects from my car, so I was just wondering how you mounted the tripod in the car? Did you wrap the seat belt around the legs or something? Thanks.

I like the idea and the shots arnt too shabby.

Nice pics :) I definitely prefer the Photoshopped version, along with Jimmy's out of sunroof effect :)

I'm also interested in trying similar effects from my car, so I was just wondering how you mounted the tripod in the car? Did you wrap the seat belt around the legs or something? Thanks.

Right, I'll try to explain this as best I can. But if you imagine that the camera basically ended up where the passengers left shoulder would of been:

I extended 1 of the tripod legs very slightly and placed the "foot" where the bottom seat belt anchor point is. Another leg was raised so that it sat across the passenger seat with it's foot across the centre arm rest. The third leg as then extended into the passenger foot well. To aid with stability I also wrapped the seat belt around the centre column of the tripod a few times.

The real boon for the setup though was liveview on the 40D as it allowed me to get the framing and focus just right without having to resort to contortionism.

I used my 17-40 f4 L by the way.

Right, I'll try to explain this as best I can. But if you imagine that the camera basically ended up where the passengers left shoulder would of been:

I extended 1 of the tripod legs very slightly and placed the "foot" where the bottom seat belt anchor point is. Another leg was raised so that it sat across the passenger seat with it's foot across the centre arm rest. The third leg as then extended into the passenger foot well. To aid with stability I also wrapped the seat belt around the centre column of the tripod a few times.

The real boon for the setup though was liveview on the 40D as it allowed me to get the framing and focus just right without having to resort to contortionism.

I used my 17-40 f4 L by the way.

Thanks Nathan, that makes perfect sense :) Agree live view on the 40D is a life saver for awkward shots!

I like the external shots by Derelict-UK from 28 days later too. Although, I have the same problem with the broken links to any page other than 10.

I think I'll have to be getting me one of them sucker mounts for some experimenting.

Niki,

Yeah that GorillaPod does look good, but personally it would have to come with a failure insurance warrenty before I trusted it to hold over £1000 of kit to my car!

Inspired by this thread I had a first stab at taking some interior shots...Think I need a wider lens and somewhere with more interesting lights and to clean my windscreen!:|

2057366461_87ab233e5f.jpg

(y) I do like this type of shot. Got to give it a go some time soon.
And I like the the first shots posted from Bumph GB & Jimmy_Lemon Brilliant (y)

I wonder how it would look with this long exposure, and then firing a seperate flash onto the roof lining giving a whiter glow to the dash ?

And possibly a polarisor too, to help with the internal dash reflections ?

(Cheers Dazzle)

Liberalis,

"It starts here" you say. Yes and it should of ended there, but SOMEONE put up some awesome external motion shots, so now I want to have a play at that!!!!

WHEN my gear gets smashed all over the road I'll let you know (trust me I have SUCH good luck).

(y)

I must admit some nice pics there peeps!!

This is what Dal did with mine.

DSCF2324.jpg

And I thought I was the only one who held their camera out of the sunroof! :LOL: Though it was taken a while ago with my Kodak Z740. I don't think I would do the same with my Canon

Tyne Tunnel:
239216457_79c3b6545b.jpg

Back