Playing with the Moon

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying a few different view out...

1) The Moon
IMG_7188.jpg

2) Aerial Moon
IMG_7184.jpg

3) Sliding Moon
IMG_7193.jpg

4) I Spy Moon
IMG_7191.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C please.

Great idea and well executed. #2 is my pick for the composition which works really well for me. I like #3 and #4 more than #1, it's the context setting. Well done.

Thanks very much Russell. Whilst the moon has been accessible and low down, I figured I'd try and get some different views of it.

Hey,

Love the pics...i have tried to take some pictures of the moon but they arent very good can you give me some advice please.

Thank you

x

Thanks Jo. That's not so easy. First off... I always ignore the exposure meter for astro shots. The only time it seems to get close is shooting the moon during the day. My meter is always reporting at least 2 stops under exposed. For any Astro shot, I always use the aperture wide open, Astronomy is about gathering as much light as possible, probably not necessary on the moon, but it's now a habit I've gotten into, and when I mount the camera on my scope, I can't adjust the aperture anyway. Then I adjust the shutter speed to get me a decent exposure. This will depend on a lot of factors, but the full moon in the dark sky is normally about 1/160 - 1/200 and going down from there depending on the phase. I always use ISO100 for the moon to minimise noise, it's a bright enough target that higher ISO is unnecessary. To get a decent moon pic, if you want close up detail, ideally you want to wait until it's as high in the sky as possible (less atmosphere for the light to pass through, reducing atmospheric interference). Hope that helps somewhat. Do you have examples of your images, I'm sure someone will be able to provide better advice if you post them up with the kit used.

Thanks Dave. As has been said in numerous threads, the moon is surprisingly tricky to shoot. Whereas during the summer I was able to get some nice high shots and crop them (from the same scale as the images above) in really tight with my 55-250, the moon has been so low down that the atmospherics have meant this doesn't work.

Excellent set of shot. Like the ones against the blue sky, with #2 be my pick. Not sure why? Maybe because it put the moon in context, being high in the sky, above all the rooftops etc?

Thanks Simon. I like shooting the moon against the blue sky, although it tends to be more during the later half of the cycle and then you can't get it in any context as it's too high.

Back