Playstation 3 Dead?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Switched on the PS3 this morning and it won't recognise any of the game discs :(

Anyone had similar? is it dead as a dodo?

Last edited:
have you got the yellow light of death or whatever its called?

i had that with my 1st PS3... you get the power light, then it goes yellow... that means it dead.

nope it powers up as normal, i can log into my user account, but when i go to game data it doesn't show the option to access the game

you've got no game disc in then have you.... go on... admit it :clap:

odd i was having a similar conversation with a colleage this morning.. the cable that connects the sensor that detects and inserted disk on his PS3 had broken and wasnt recognising disks..

have you tried a DVD or BluRay disc to see if that will play?

Not a gamer myself but Daughters PS3 packed up after 15months,the process of reading discs increased,then stopped all together
Managed to have it replaced through the s.o.g.a but that's another story

...thought the yellow light referred to watching downloaded content on the hard drive :thinking:

Had mine pack up watching a Bluray disc, everything else worked except wouldn't read any discs. Phones Sony up and they said they would pick it up and as a good will gesture fix it foc :clap: 7 days later it returned still faulty :annoyed: and this was Xmas Eve :crying: Phoned them again and was offered a refurbed one again foc. This was about 2 years ago and it's still working fine but gets very very little use.

Hmmmm, mine is out of Warranty. Can you remember who you contacted at Sony?

Mine was also out of warranty but they were very good....this is the support number I used 08705 99 88 77 It's a couple of years old but I just rang it and an automated voice gives you an up to date number...I was too slow taking it down.

Switched on the PS3 this morning and it won't recognise any of the game discs :(

Anyone had similar? is it dead as a dodo?

I had the same thing on mine in April, 4 days out of warranty.

Is yours one of the 'big' PS3 consoles, or new Slim ones?

Mine's a 'big' one and i rang Sony, and they repaired of FoC as it's a common fault - Blu-Ray drive failure. IIRC they only charge £100 for a replacement anyway.

HTH.

EDIT: If they ask when it was purchased, say it was a gift and you don't have the receipt, and that you got it around x months ago ;)

Last edited:
I had the same thing on mine in April, 4 days out of warranty.

Is yours one of the 'big' PS3 consoles, or new Slim ones?

Mine's a 'big' one and i rang Sony, and they repaired of FoC as it's a common fault - Blu-Ray drive failure. IIRC they only charge £100 for a replacement anyway.

HTH.

EDIT: If they ask when it was purchased, say it was a gift and you don't have the receipt, and that you got it around x months ago ;)

Mines a big one, ooh err missus :) cheers for the info

Mine was also out of warranty but they were very good....this is the support number I used 08705 99 88 77 It's a couple of years old but I just rang it and an automated voice gives you an up to date number...I was too slow taking it down.

Thanks for the number scott, will give them a ring in the morning

Back