Please critique my landscape photos

Edit My Images
Yes
I have just returned from long weekend caravaning up at Whitby and Have had a go with some Landscape photography (first time really) I was only using a phone camera and the conditions were not great although the skies were quite interesting. in my view the contrast on the shots is a little poor but I'm not sure if this was just the limitations of the camera or whether using a different metering method may of helped (this was an after thought and the camera was set at centre weighted average). Please let me know what you think and how I may have improved them. The last shot was just a bit of fun and had to be taken !!. I did a little editing to size the photos for posting and to try and increase contrast.

One
1.JPG

Two
2.jpg

Three
3.jpg

Four
Four4.jpg

Last edited:
and a couple more

Five
5.jpg

Six
6.jpg

Severn and this photo reminds me of what goes on in my head !!
7.jpg

O.k so I've looked back at my posted photos and contrast seems to look better than on my photo viewer ??

Last edited:
For me the buildings suit the mono better than the other scenes. I'd crop the bottom and left off #4 to lose the parts of the canon and notice board but for me that is the most successful, the bright shutters and window frames give it a good tonal range.and you might be able to get a bit more out of the sky.

Of the landscapes #4 perhaps has the best elements with the object in the middle ground, good sky and detail in the distance but I can't help but wonder what it would be like in colour, rust often gives such interesting vibrant colours.

Four is only one of two that I took in colour, Here it is
GGG.JPG

You have an eye good enough to be classed as a photographic native. Post-processing could improve these images, so think about apps for that - better on a pc than a phone? I feel most drawn to image 1 for the way that its graphic qualities express a feel of place, with the eroded strata being a significant element. Coupled with the viewpoint and framing this gives it a certain vigour, but it needs a bit of work tonally, just to enhance it, not to make it over-hyped.

Both yours are fantastic Alf but the second is the one I find most striking there seems a real sense of Drama to it !

Back