Please critique this butterfly picture

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this image of a butterfly this week and I want to know your oppinions on it.

IMGP5878.jpg

Note: This image is on my site because I couldn't get it to upload on here.P

Edit: I have edited the picture again. Here is what it looks like now:
IMGP58781.jpg

And here are my settings:

Unbenannt.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to crop it at left and bottom to more of a square format. The biggest problem is that it looks way over-sharpened and noisy in the full sized version and a bit soft in the smaller version.

I would say that it is soft, it looks like the point of focus was on the flower rather than the subject (Butterfly), it also looks like some areas are massively over exposed to me.

It would help to know your settings???

Edit: Just opened up the full size version and I have to second what CT has said above, way over sharpened, and as a result the noise is awful, sorry to say but having seen the full size version, this is a shot that would go into the bin for me :shrug:

Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
The whole picture has no clarity to it, the rh wing is overexposed and it is full of noise imo.

I have to agree with the comments about the image being noisey. The wings and flower look very grainy

Aside from the image being too big, and in the wrong section :D

There does appear to be an issue with the image quality, it does not look like normal image noise though, almost as if an arty photoshop effect has been added.

Can you let us know what set up (camera and lens) you were using

Aside from the image being too big, and in the wrong section :D

There does appear to be an issue with the image quality, it does not look like normal image noise though, almost as if an arty photoshop effect has been added.

Can you let us know what set up (camera and lens) you were using

In his defence Martyn.

BIRDS A place to share your photos of all the birds and winged animals of the world. ;)

The Butterfly? I don't want to Know what Type it is just your oppinion on the Shot. approximately 5-6 cm.

Manners cost nothing. anyway apart from the rudeness i will just echo the views that it is noisy, slightly oof , overexposed , no clarity or depth in the flower or butterfly. personally Scott id put it in the bin.better luck next time and maybe when someone tries to educate you in a polite manner you will be as polite to them in return :nono:

Manners cost nothing. anyway apart from the rudeness i will just echo the views that it is noisy, slightly oof , overexposed , no clarity or depth in the flower or butterfly. personally Scott id put it in the bin.better luck next time and maybe when someone tries to educate you in a polite manner you will be as polite to them in return :nono:

I thought he didn't understand my question!!

OK I have added the edited picture and my settings to the original post.

1/800 at f5 ... I would be looking to get up around f7 - f8 with close up stuff to increase the depth of field, and be nearer the sweet spot for sharpness of the lens. This would reduce your shutter speed, but around 1/250 sec should be fine for these types of shots.

Just so you know for next time, there is a forum limit to the size of images posted, maximum of 1024 on the longest edge (y)

1/800 at f5 ... I would be looking to get up around f7 - f8 with close up stuff to increase the depth of field, and be nearer the sweet spot for sharpness of the lens. This would reduce your shutter speed, but around 1/250 sec should be fine for these types of shots.

Just so you know for next time, there is a forum limit to the size of images posted, maximum of 1024 on the longest edge (y)

Thanks for the heads up on the forum limit.
Close up stuff isn't really a option. I shoot with a bridge camer so that's why. plus the highest my camera will go is f8 and there wouldnt be much depth of field even getting up close.

Last Time I checked butterflies have wings. I am pretty sure that makes them a winged animal. I will post my settings once I have the computer on.

Scott, not wishing to sound too hyper critical, Butterflies are in the insect order Lepidoptera and are classified with insects because they have a head, thorax, and abdomen .They also have three pairs of walking legs, antennae and a pair of wings-which are the characteristics of most insects. Accordingly they cannot be classified as birds or winged animals.

Gordon

Last edited:
Back