please dont be to harsh here is a few from clumber park

They're not too bad. The robin is the best one. Nice clean background, sharp detail. Not sure if you got focus on the eye, but a definite contender.

I'm still very much a newbie will loads to learn !! The focus wasn't set to the eye just the center !! Thanks

I'm still very much a newbie will loads to learn !! The focus wasn't set to the eye just the center !! Thanks
Put your camera onto spot focus and try to always focus on the subjects head , it can be a bit hit and miss initially, but as you practice it will settle down to an acceptable level bud.

im far from an a expert on birding I do however like the robin capture :)

Look good to me, the robin is best.
But the pose and style of #5 (swan) is nice too. as with any 'white' bird it can be a bit of a struggle to retain the detail in the feathers as the whites tend to blow out.
for the swans, put in a bit of -ev, it might help retain some of the detail.

But otherwise not bad. :)

I agree that the robin is the best - the swan in #1 would have been an epic action capture if the head was sharp - but it isnt, the focal point is on the wing, #3 and #5 are marred by the oof birds in the background (and the head isnt sharp in #3 either), and #4 would have been a really nice shot were it not a tad over exposed (you might be able to bring that back in lightroom)

altogether not great, but not terrible - a lot of potential but not quite realised.

tips for next time are to focus on the head/eye (select your focus points to make that work) , use tracking AF (AI servo) on moving subjects, dial in a little bit of -ev to keep the detail in bright white birds, and think about backgrounds , if you can't get them clean , use a narrower apperture so the birds in the background are sharp too (turn the iso up to compensate).

but definitely keep trying and keep posting for crit - you'll get there ;)

Just echoing whats already been said really the Robin is the best of the bunch, and my favourite bird (hence my avatar :D).

Swans can be really difficult to expose as, more often than not, they are a light subject on a relatively dark background resulting in either over exposed swans or, more preferable imho, under exposed background. I would also suggest using center weighted or spot metering when shooting swans to keep their exposure under control. Keep trying they are majestic birds and when you get it right you will come out with some great pictures :).

hi guys thanks for all the constitutive criticism i guess it a case of practice , practice and a bit more practice !!

And then some... practice! At least experimentation is pretty much free in this digital era when we only need to print the best shots (if that) and can simply bin the less successful shots once we've learned from them.

Back