Please give a thought.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
While we are all enthusing over all our lovely gifts and settling down to a fulfilling meal ,please give a thought for all those in less fortunate circumstances.:(

AGREE!!

With any privilege/right comes a responsibility (or rather that was what they tried to teach me when I studied law...)

I believe that there is a responsibility on every one of us to improve the lives of those not as blessed as we are.

Please note: I am not saying we should fatten those who are simply to lazy to do something for themseves. There are many Alberts as posted elsewhere and they are not necessarily there because of their own making.

It could just as well have been any of us who lived in a box instead of feasting on the usual "Christmas lunch".

Yes, I think we are all guilty of taking such luxuries for granted.

While we are all enthusing over all our lovely gifts and settling down to a fulfilling meal ,please give a thought for all those in less fortunate circumstances.:(
Mal...I've thought of little else for the past few days.

I believe that there is a responsibility on every one of us to improve the lives of those not as blessed as we are.
There are many Alberts as posted elsewhere and they are not necessarily there because of their own making.
It could just as well have been any of us who lived in a box instead of feasting on the usual "Christmas lunch".
Anton,
I'm sure that your awareness of these situations is less avoidable given where you are...based on my visits to SA at least.

Yes, I think we are all guilty of taking such luxuries for granted.
Cheryl
It's interesting that you use the word luxury...I would have done too. For Albert, his new box was probably a "luxury" (although I can't say whether he took it for granted).
Would I invite Albert to make use of a spare bedroom on a cold night....sadly, I don't think I would.
Would Albert invite me to share his cardboard box on a cold night...I really believe he might.
My conclusion is that I've got an excess of things that he doesn't want but he's got something that I might never aspire to.

A few years ago while in London I was on my way to a business lunch at the Ritz, happy as I strolled along I noticed something odd about the chap walking towards me... he had a coat (it was late December with snow/slush on the ground), a beard (so what?), looked somewhat unkempt (but hey fashion can be odd too), but he had no shoes!

It was then I stopped dead to watch him walk past and it occurred to me he must have been a homeless chap walking the freezing street of London, and me on my way to a £70 'lunch' of sarnies and buns

I pointed out the idiocy of the situation to my London based chums who were amazed I'd even noticed him, 'serves him right' was their typical response 'non-one has to sleep rough' they said 'they choose to' they all seemed to think as they ordered another £100 bottle of plonk

Is it just me or is this situation in our capital city simply wrong, and the sentiment simply sickening? :shrug:

There are not many homeless people around the part I work in, but I know a lot of people will not give money as they think it will get spent on drugs or ciggies.

Lst winter there was a man and his dog in a doorway when the weather was freezing, I was getting lunch with a friend and we got an extra soup, sandwiches and an apple for him plus being soft we went into Sainsbury and got a few pouches of dog food - his reaction made us feel as if we had given him the moon and stars. We never saw him again hopefully he found a hostel or somewhere warm to stay.

Is it just me or is this situation in our capital city simply wrong, and the sentiment simply sickening? :shrug:

No DD, it is not only you and it is not only in your capital...:crying:

There are not many homeless people around the part I work in, but I know a lot of people will not give money as they think it will get spent on drugs or ciggies.

And many, but not all of them do exactly that, Susie:shake:

I can understand why, although I do not condone it for half a second.

If you were sleeping in a box with no hope for tomorrow and you do not know where or when your next meal would be, would you not also prefer to be bombed out of your mind just to escape your reality for one night?

I say again I do not agree with it happening but those are the harsh facts about their existence!

What sickens me even more is that in our modern society there are outcries and letters to the papers for weeks when one person is found to have mistreated an animal - but any number of people spend their lives on pavements sniffing glue and this is OK??:puke:

Please note I also do not stand for mistreating animals but what happened to our priorities?:shake:

Those wanting to help others could do worse than join their local Lions Club.

I am a member of mine.

We raise money throughout the year to help local people with problems as well as charities.

Throughout December we have been following our sleigh around the streets at night collecting, standing outside supermarkets, playing an old card organ in the market square and singing Christmas carols to various residential homes for the elderly to mention a few.

We do a meet socially as well.

My favourite is the Spalding Flower Festival where I am a clown (in full fancy dress and makeup), this year it forms part of the World Tulip Summit 2008 taking place in Spalding.

Think about it, it's a good way to make a difference.

I'm happy to supply contact details for a club local to anyone if interested.

Back