Please help - Canon 6D sensor issue

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if someone may be able to offer me some advice, before I go crazy and put my camera in the bin.

late last year I started to notice loads and loads of tiny little black spots on my photos, I initially thought it was sensor dust so i put it in to be cleaned.
When it came back it was the same, exactly the same so off I went back to the shop and got him to do it again. No joy, still the same.

I got annoyed thinking this guys was just incompetent so I took it to Jessops and asked them to have a look and see what they thought.
They said the same, sensor needed a clean. I left it there and picked it up a few days later. It was exactly the same.

I went back and got a refund, then found AJ Johnstone in Glasgow (Canon service centre) and gave them a ring.

I sent the camera in, explained the situation and asked them if they could have a look, I received a quote for a sensor clean and for them to change the focus screen (why?) but I thought ok maybe they've seen something someone else hasn't (I'm not clued up on the inner workings of the camera)

I received it back and its EXACTLY the same, they said on the phone when they rang to let me know it was ready that they'd cleaned it and it was fine.

I have no idea what it is, and I can't use my camera as every photo has 100+ spots on it that I have to clone out if its taken at f11 or higher.

Surely AJ Johnstone should be taking a test photo before and after to make sure they've got it clean? And if its not dirt on the sensor (which i'm not convinced it is as its too uniform) checking further to see what it is, rather than just charging me for that then telling me it was fine and posting it back?

I'm gonna get on the phone to them tomorrow as I'm sick of this, going to ask for a refund as they've done pointless work. Its no better and I'm £80 worse off :-(

This one is with the visualise spot tool in lightroom

Can anyone think of what it could be?

Thanks

Nick

Johnstones have a reputation for being not the best. I live 35 mins from them and still send my stuff to Canon in Elstree.

If it's not coming off after multiple cleans I'd send it to Elstree and explain it has been cleaned at a number of different places.

Only thing I can think of is it being oil.

The focusing screen should not have been replaced. That's just them taking money from you. If it can be seen on the photos it's a sensor issue and has nothing to do with the focusing screen.

Neil

Can you see anything on the sensor? I had to have mine done recently and I rang jessops. I asked if it was a full wet (chemical) clean or a dry (brush) clean.
It was dry so I thanked them and rang round. I ended up using park cameras who did a decent job, cost me £45 including return shipping. Obviously I had to send it myself at my cost.

Johnstones have a reputation for being not the best. I live 35 mins from them and still send my stuff to Canon in Elstree.

If it's not coming off after multiple cleans I'd send it to Elstree and explain it has been cleaned at a number of different places.

Only thing I can think of is it being oil.

The focusing screen should not have been replaced. That's just them taking money from you. If it can be seen on the photos it's a sensor issue and has nothing to do with the focusing screen.

Neil
That's what I thought, I couldn't understand why they changed it. They have a crappy attitude when you speak to them on the phone.

When they rang to say it was sorted I asked "did you manage to get the marks off?" To which he replied "yep, it's all sorted"

Gonna ring them tomorrow and pursue a refund.

Can you see anything on the sensor? I had to have mine done recently and I rang jessops. I asked if it was a full wet (chemical) clean or a dry (brush) clean.
It was dry so I thanked them and rang round. I ended up using park cameras who did a decent job, cost me £45 including return shipping. Obviously I had to send it myself at my cost.
All the places it's been to have wet cleaned it, I've also wet cleaned it I used 4 swabs on it (this was AFTER jessops and the fisrt place) and the marks just wont budge.

I'm starting to think its more than a dirty sensor?

Take a hand held half second exposure of a white thing at f22 and shake the camera. Everything should be blurred unless it's on the sensor.

Judging by the photo you posted you should be able to see the marks on the sensor that cause them. If the sensor looks clean then it probably is.

I think you should explore other possibilities. As it is a problem with all lenses then that rules out the lenses. Have you cleaned the lens contacts on the camera body?

Take a hand held half second exposure of a white thing at f22 and shake the camera. Everything should be blurred unless it's on the sensor.

Do this to confirm it, but those spots are absolutely sensor dust or markings.

You are probably right but I have always believed you try to eliminate all possible causes no matter how unlikely they may seem. I would also try a different memory card no matter how unlikely that seems as well.. If you have to send it away you can at least say what you have tried and eliminated.

I agree with Richard they do look like sensor marks but there is an awful lot of them especially considering the number of cleans the sensor has had.

I can only think that somehow dirt has got inbetween the various filter layers in the stack that sits in front of the sensor. Send it to Canon, or a repair shop that is familiar with sensor stacks work, eg Advanced Camera Services - they do infrared conversions etc, and have a good rep.

http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk/

Did you notice this problem straight away when you got the 6D or has it developed over time?, the reason I ask is if its the latter than I would suspect its lubricant from the shutter in which case I would be pushing for replacement as having a new sensor fitted is not going to cure the problem as it will resurface unless the shutter is sorted

I think you should push for clarity on exactly what the cause is, and have it all fixed.

My comment that it may be dust etc somehow trapped within the filter stack in front of the sensor is only a guess. I don't even know if it's possible, maybe, unless it's been there since new. It was based on the understanding that a) the marks are on/over the sensor and that normal wet cleaning won't remove them, so b) it must be something under the surface, or something that resists cleaning. That could also be some super-sticky oil from somewhere - either the shutter or mirror mechanism could be possible causes.

Back