Please help find a camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
hoping you can help.

I'm not a photographer, and sorry to say, it's not something i'm really likely to get into....well, maybe but time is against me there!

I do however play piano, and i'd like to record some pieces, which means a camera, now I've looked at webcams etc but the trouble there is, they don't really do wide angle, which means mounting it really high to see all the keys.

so, i'm after a DSLR. Now, i've been reading on how to use these as a webcam, which is part of the plan - I take piano lessons online so using it as a webcam is also on the list other than just a recording device. This will all be done via a video capture card.

so what I was hoping is for someone to recommend a DSLR/Mirrorless camera that can offer clean HDMI output. elgato.com does have a list of these cameras that offer this but being as I don't know a great deal about cameras, short of going through each one at a time i'm a bit lost as to which is the right one me. I really don't want to spend £500 on a camera that's only for this one job.

Anyone have any experience here? is there something on the list for like £150? that ideally comes with a wide angle lens

I would personally use your phone, most phone has a camera of 24mm and just add a mic to it and get a light stand for about £25 with a little mount for the phone and you are good to go.

trouble is, the lens on my phone isn't really wide angle, meaning I'd have to mount it too high to get all the keys, then I lose shelf space etc.

trouble is, the lens on my phone isn't really wide angle, meaning I'd have to mount it too high to get all the keys, then I lose shelf space etc.

You will need to move back further, your problem is your budget don't allow for much gear. You can pretty much rule out all Nikon as their video in the past is atrocious, most small compact don't have HDMI out so you are basically recording into the card. May be the old Sony RX100mk 1 or 2?

sadly only the mk4/5/6 have clean HDMI, before that they dont.

I'm looking at either a sony a5100 or a lumix DMC GX80, but it'll most likely mean spending a bit more.

I have a GX80 and I quite like it but you need to remember that it's a x2 crop system (Micro Four Thirds) so to get a full frame equivalent of 24mm which may not be wide enough for you you'll need a 12mm lens or maybe something wider and as with most systems the wider you want to get the fewer the options are and the more expensive they get.

You can use Olympus Micro Four Thirds lenses on Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras and I have a Olympus 9-18mm lens so something like that could be worth looking at on the used market. I'm sure Panasonic do a similar lens too.

ok, perhaps it's worth looking at this another way.

my piano is 1300mm wide. I'd like to record it as close as possible i.e not require a ceiling mounted camera.

what's the closest I could do this feasibly? i.e. if I used a 9-18mm lens such as you suggest.

but yeah, i'd be going used for sure, there's a GX80 on ebay body only within budget, I just then don't want to spend £1000 on a lens.

With my GX80 and the 12-32 kit lens, the camera needs to be 110cm away from the subject to fit the 130cm width in shot.

Wouldn't something like a GoPro work? I know nothing about video, but they are super wide (14-16mm FF equiv) and designed for long recording spells. I'm sure there are a ton of them second hand. Apologies if that's a noob statement.

With my GX80 and the 12-32 kit lens, the camera needs to be 110cm away from the subject to fit the 130cm width in shot.

ah ok, that's exactly the same as on my iphone...this ins't going to work then. Drat

Wouldn't something like a GoPro work? I know nothing about video, but they are super wide (14-16mm FF equiv) and designed for long recording spells. I'm sure there are a ton of them second hand. Apologies if that's a noob statement.

could be ideal now. I'd thought that a DSLR would enable me to get much closer but 110cm on a 12cm is what i'm getting off my phone. I'd probably be better served with a high end webcam and leave it at that (or a gopro as you suggest)

I guess 9mm would bring it all closer but then the cost would outweigh the use (for me anyway)

A cheaper option would be an action cam. Mobius do them with wide angles, and the newer ones allow control/set up from a phone.

They record to card, though.

blimy and 150 degree field of view!

I was looking at the logitech brio and thought 90 degrees would be ok have to look into the mobius for sure.

ordered the gopro.

hopefully it'll do the job, it's £100 off at the moment.

Now I just need to find a wall mounted tripod headed thing...

any suggestions? I've bought the standard tripod connector for the gopro, so it'll sit on any normal tripod. What i'm after is a wall mounted version of this, so it's safe at high level with no need for tripod legs and arms something like a CCTV wall mount really

maybe something like this

Last edited:
Back