Please help me choose a camera

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi. I'm planning on buying a DSLR and think I have narrowed the options down to Nikon d60 or Cannon 1000D or 450D. I basically chose these because I intend to buy a 2 lens package to include a 70-300 lens. Main reason for purchase is a planned safari holiday so want good, long lenses, good quality pics and reasonable ease of use. I did a similar trip a few years ago and used a pre-digital Nikon F55 with similar lenses which was excellent for my purposes. I've still got that but want to go to digital with similar or better results. I liked the Nikon but I'm not hung up about the brand. I would also plan to do a bit of sports photography (footballing son) and general stuff (nature, landscapes etc). One option to save costs is to go for a Nikon option and keep my existing 70-300 Nikkor lens. Would that work with a dslr? I've had conflicting views. Any advice very welcome.

Thanks for the tip. The D90 is at the top end of my price range but if the old lens will work with it then that could be a good option.

I would go for the 450 over the 1000 (no experience about the Nikon, sorry can't help wth that). The 70-300 IS lens is a very good lens to look at, the 55-250 IS is cheaper, but still well worth a look, hope this is of some help (y)

If you haven't already, then I would recommend going into a camera shop and having a play with them to see which feels the best for you.

I'd suspect that if you've been a Nikon guy in the past then you'll have a natural leaning towards them. But if at all possible do go and have a look at both for real at a decent photography shop. Yes... I know, difficult to find nowadays. Really Nikon or Canon doesn't matter at all, just go with which ever feels better to you. I know it sounds like a bit of a cop out, but just remember that you're actually buying into a camera system, not just a specific model.

cheers

Thanks Andyred & Bill. I'm kind of hoping that my existing lenses will work with a new Nikon dslr in which case, if they do, I'll probably go for a Nikon as that was my original thinking. If they don't then I must admit I'm leaning towards the Cannon 450D. Good advice to go into shop and try them out. I'll do that. There are a couple of independents still around although I'm never sure how up to speed they are with things. Failing that Jessops is the only real alternative. I was looking at their bundles which include Tamron 70-300 lenses. Any thoughts on those?

I've no personal experience of Tamron lenses. But certainly the independant lens makers can be every bit as good as OEM at times. I suppose that one really is down to a specific model though. I'm sure someone on here will give you a much better opinion based on real life experience.

Best thing to do is to go down to Jessops, hold them all and decide on the one that feels the nicest in your hand. Then without pause walk out and buy from anybody else on the market as Jessops are awful imho

Back