Please help me choose a micro 4/3 camera!

Name
Rosie
Edit My Images
No
I am a professional photographer with a D700, 24-70 2.8, you know, half a ton of expensive and not very subtle equipment.

I am also a mum who is finding that I am taking far fewer photos of my children than I used to because the pro gear is just too impractical to grab and take snapshots. Whether I'm sat on the sofa, or out for a walk or just in town etc - I have a bad back at the best of times and lugging a ton of camera around on the off-chance of there being an interesting shot (not to mention the mugging risk and sticking out like a sore thumb!) is just not happening. I find myself using my iPhone camera :puke: more often than not just to get a shot because it is the only camera I have. I miss photography for *me*.

However because I have such nice equipment, I'm also more fussy over the quality of a more portable camera so if I'm going to spend money on this, I don't want a cheap point and shoot either. I need that depth of field and at least a decent quality of image, damn it! I'm spoilt by dSLRs.

Video is also fairly important to me. I don't need really fancy quality, but at least 720p and fairly good in low light and preferably auto-focus would be the minimum. Just for capturing the children being children really, not to win any awards. Any improvement over the iPhone video would be a plus, ha ha.

I would also like to have manual control, preferably not through menu systems. Low light capability, as with the video, is fairly important too. Fast auto-focus as toddlers move fast is a plus as well.

And finally size is important - I don't mind carrying it in a small bag, but fitting it in a large jacket pocket would be even better.

A micro 4/3rds camera of some kind seems to fit the bill, especially with a "pancake" lens of some sort (and maybe saving up for a zoom later on) but despite spending a while doing my research, I can't work out which is best for my particular circumstances especially as there's a lot of people contradicting each other out there over various features on various cameras.

I think I am tending towards a GF1, but I can easily be led away from that. I don't want to spend over £500 (husband would kill me, he thinks I'm crazy anyway for this and doesn't understand!) if I can help it. I'm also happy to wait a month or so too in case a better one is round the corner and also maybe the sales.

So what would you recommend? :help:

Thanks in advance!! :)

You've already said it - GF1 + 20mm. I have one myself and I'm more than satisfied with it. The GF2 due in January loses a manual selector dial and replaces it with a touchscreen menu. Expect GF1 prices to drop then.

Last edited:
I am no professional just a raw amateur with the GF1 this is just a quick snap in the Garden, which shows what sort of results can be achieved .....could be alot better in the right hands !

I have sold off some of my Canon gear to lighten my load a bit and recently bought the Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens. I am more than happy with this little gem. Fits in my coat pocket no problem, it goes everywhere with me now. Quality wise the pics I've taken with it have been good enough for me, being 1,7 lens the low light usage without a flash is great.

All the usual manual settings are there though to honest I havent used them much, the auto mode is superb (on mine anyway) If doing night shots then I suppose that is different but auto on the GF1 works well. Adjusting the EV is easy while looking at the LCD screen.

Some folk complain about the LCD screen on the rear in bright sunshine, I've not had a problem with it so far.

I was down in the Lake District last week and it was the first time I used the camera a lot, I visited the Lakeside Motor Museum and Clicking Here will show you all the indoor shots I took Without the flash. The other Lake District gallery photos were all taken with the GF1 too.
All pohotos were taken in raw ...Auto mode, I found the majority of them needed or little or no PP attention and will consider just shooting jpeg unless WB looks iffy.

Hope that helps your decision making.

I mulled over the compact decision a lot a few months back, and landed myself a GF1 with 20mm F1.7

It is the perfect camera for the job. If I want to take a shot I can just grab the camera, and shoot. Use of creative modes is good and a fair whack of settings can be adjusted without delving into menus. Of all the options I think this is the best value and it compliments my dslr perfectly

4921391460_acf3a795aa_o.jpg

4905159542_b7ce124d18_o.jpg

Wonderful, thank you very much everyone! Some really cracking shots, like I hoped there would be. Glad I'm thinking along the right lines with my research - good to have it confirmed!

I'm hoping with a bit of Christmas money and the upcoming launch of the GF2 (definitely will be steering away from touch screen, ugh) I can get a GF1 cheaply, that would be perfect!

Just got in from shooting the children in the snow (errr) and whilst my D700 took some brilliant shots, especially as the light faded, it didn't half detract from my own enjoyment of things lugging that lot around! Trying to manipulate toddlers in sledges with a camera swinging into the back of their head is no fun for any of us - this was a time when I really needed a nice small camera like this. Hoping I might spot one cheap in the pre-Christmas sales now actually ;-)

There are often MFT in the for sale section here.

Hi Sparklies.
I moved away from a dslr ( Nikon D300) and bought a GF1 with 14-45 lens, and to be honest, I dont really hanker after another dslr. Too much to carry around all the time. ( D300 and 17-55 round your neck all day and a 70-200vr in your rucksack together with sandwiches drink etc takes the fun out of a day trip!)
My GF1 is easy to carry and fits in a big jacket pocket. With a 20mm pancake it would be even easier to carry. I also have a Nikon P7000 for days when I need a longer lens.
Image quality is superb, its pretty fast and af is excellent. You wont be disappointed. Have a look in the '"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread', thread for some good images and advice. There are lots of people like yourself there that are happy with their decisions to leave the dslr race.

Heres a couple I took a while ago......

Allan

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, woof woof - I'll keep an eye open!

Cracking shots, Allan! I'd never leave the dSLR race entirely as I need it for work (I'm a family photographer) and it's great for studio stuff or when I'm going out with the sole intention of photography. However for candid photos, which I barely take any more, I definitely need something else and it certainly seems to fit the bill!

Well any mft camera will suit your requirements, you just need to decide what's most important.

Small- GF1 with 20mm/Olympus PEN with 17mm

Small'ish with Viewfinder- G1

Small'ish with viewfinder and video- G2

A bit bigger but with full HD video- GH1/GH2

Hi Rosie - I also use a D700 and have the 2.8 lenses so know what the bag weighs when it all comes out to play.

I bought a Olympus E-P1 and the 17mm lens along with the 14-42 and can attest to what a adaptable and capable system it is when I use it, thats the whole point really I use it far more readily because its always in my work bag or in a pocket when I am out.

I find I can go out and do non-photography things yet still get a chance to take a nice DOF pic or something that would have taken a bit of setup with the D700.

If you can find someone near that has a ep1 with 17mm or a gf1 with 20mm then have a go, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!!

In your situation sparklies I'd get a GF1 I think. The Olympus cameras don't focus quick enough. My m4/3 is my main camera so I went for a G2 but if it was a second camera then I'd get a GF1 + 20mm I reckon. Good luck.

Thanks again everyone - all great comments and very useful! I am definitely tending towards the GF1 :)

Back