PLEASE HELP SAVE WORLABY CARRS

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Signed as well - have never been but agree it would be a real shame for these guys to lose their habitat.

.DAVID.

I have seen so many amazing shots taken from there. I was hoping to go next year since I am fairly local and may have a telephoto lens by then, i just have to hope its still there! Signed and shared!

Fingers crossed for those who visit there, and the seo's, Signed with a letter, (y) Tonyc.

Going to sign now. To help save this great site you need to gather as much natural history info as possible. Speak to others who know the site well, and know the Botany, trees, hedgerows etc. The number of species helps to build up a 'score' of species points. The more you have the better. Also, contact your local bird society/club. Importantly, the County Wildlife Trust. These people will have this site listed, and already know of its value, and therefore importance. All the very best, and keep us up to date.

I think it's a misguided petition, the owls won't depend on a single field, why do they claim that?
The landowners can do what they want with their field.
Presumably it's part of a rotation with other fields in grass to replace that if it is 'grazed' rather than totally untouched in which case it would be turning scrubby by now.
Owls are not endangered so far as I know.
Trying to enforce no cropping after an agreed period in grassland has expired is hardly likely to encourage others to enter into similar schemes.

done :)
I was there yesterday but after seeing your shots above I wont bother putting my pathetic attempts up.

I think it's a misguided petition, the owls won't depend on a single field, why do they claim that?
The landowners can do what they want with their field.
Presumably it's part of a rotation with other fields in grass to replace that if it is 'grazed' rather than totally untouched in which case it would be turning scrubby by now.
Owls are not endangered so far as I know.
Trying to enforce no cropping after an agreed period in grassland has expired is hardly likely to encourage others to enter into similar schemes.

Sort of agree with this and i'm not one for crowds of people all rattling off shots BUT i don't blame people for going to hot spots like this either.
The owls will just move to where the food is and i'm sure the photographers will move with them so not all is lost.
Lovely set of shots Stuart (y)

All signed and also shared on Facebook Stuart. Initially a set aside piece of land had to stay untouched for 1yr but that rule was later relaxed,seems a bit odd this has been left for 10yrs :thinking: I would not mind betting that the ploughing up would also include the destruction of the hedgerows as well. As for the attitude of the Owls will go elswhere, it is exactly that School of thought that has led to so much wildlife disappearing from our countryside. Yes there are thousands of fields in the Uk, but only certain areas support certain types of wildlife due to certain plants, insects mammals, and any other inhabitants of that particular area. Just have a quick read of this As you can see they first thought they were extinct in the area, so was that just a case of one farmer ploughing up his land? I dont thinks so. Ok so they move on and find somwhere where they can exist, what happens if that land is ploughed up? And so the cycle goes on untill people start shouting what has happened to all the Owls :thinking: Only my thoughts.

Worlaby_zpsb88214cb.jpg

Last edited:
Petition signed. Need to protect wildlife habitats

Last edited:
All signed and also shared on Facebook Stuart. Initially a set aside piece of land had to stay untouched for 1yr but that rule was later relaxed,seems a bit odd this has been left for 10yrs :thinking: I would not mind betting that the ploughing up would also include the destruction of the hedgerows as well. As for the attitude of the Owls will go elswhere, it is exactly that School of thought that has led to so much wildlife disappearing from our countryside. Yes there are thousands of fields in the Uk, but only certain areas support certain types of wildlife due to certain plants, insects mammals, and any other inhabitants of that particular area. Just have a quick read of this As you can see they first thought they were extinct in the area, so was that just a case of one farmer ploughing up his land? I dont thinks so. Ok so they move on and find somwhere where they can exist, what happens if that land is ploughed up? And so the cycle goes on untill people start shouting what has happened to all the Owls :thinking: Only my thoughts.

Worlaby_zpsb88214cb.jpg

Totally agree Rich, some people have small minds but we can't help them all :)

I doubt there is much chance of success. DEFRA are a bunch of farmers and shooters. I don't think they'll take the concerns of photography tourists into account over using agricultural land for agricultural purposes I'm afraid. Best chance of saving it is if the Wildlife Trusts or RSPB can/will buy the land, or if the owner can be persuaded see a profitable business venture in charging photographers to be there!

It's a shame. I think there are also Barnies which is of far more concern than wintering Shorties.

Signed...good luck

Contact Chris Packham

https://BANNED/chrisgpackham

Last edited:
It's not got anything to do with having a small mind, in fact just the opposite. Being able to see both sides of the issue helps you to make an informed and sensible decision.

Personally I feel that if this field is saved from the plough and the owls continue to feed here then the petition is worth signing but I wouldn't for a second deny 4wd his opinion, it is a very valid one.

Anyway, after having weighed up both sides of the issue I have decided to (at this point you have to imagine a long wait like in Strictly).......sign the petition.

Andy

Back