Please help with my robin :)

Tori

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sorry there are so many. The pp is different on each one (I think....there might one where I copied settings) Can you please pick the best three as my eyes are going funny now and I'd like a nice three to put on my flickr. Any critique would be gratefully received. (And comments on cropping etc..Thank you! :)
IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3445.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

Last edited:
#3, #4 #7 and #10 for me(y)although they are all very good.

Emmmm should this not be in the "Birds" section of the forum. As for my favourites, 5, 7 & 9 would be my pick of the bunch.

Thanks
Clarke

How did that happen?! Why am I not in birds...:crying: I've got lost. Can admin please move me to the appropriate section? Thanks :)

Thank you Rob & Clarke :)

(y) 3,7 & 10 for me although I would have a go at cloning out the branch behind in 3:shrug:

Nice effort though.

Robins are now birds...thanks to Matty ;-)

Thanks Nicky! I'll make a copy of #3 (Or I'll probably get it wrong lol) and I'll try that and post it up and see what you think :)

Prefer the pose of 9 & 10 myself.

On my screen they all look a tad saturated though.

Tom, what numbers look saturated please? All of them or just some? Thank you ;)

Thanks for commenting Arthur :) It seems some like a nice shiny red robin and some like them a little more subdued maybe :LOL:

Thanks Matty, and for the messaged help, much appreciated! I will open photoshop soon I promise :LOL: And I'll try to work pp out in there too :)

Thank you Ceri, much appreciated :)

Tom, what numbers look saturated please? All of them or just some? Thank you ;)

The most over saturated on my screen is no 7, but they look on my screen to be all slightly overdone.

Can you post the original, unedited copy of no 7 and I am sure that someone here will do an edit for you.

Ok, thanks Rob. I agree #7 is a wee bit lairy :LOL: I'm still experimenting...

An original? Hmm...now let me see, how am I going to do that without undoing all the pp. Ok, let me work on that lol. If I make a virtual copy in LR, then undo all the pp on the copy, will undo it on the original too? Ooo the confusion...

I guess I answered my own question there. I lost my pp version, but the original version is now there. If anyone would like to edit it they're more than welcome. Thanks. Please get it quick though as I may change it back if I find it lol.

Number 4 is the best as it has an uncluttered background. I also like number 10 as its a very natural looking shot. Always look to isolate the bird from its surroundings, as this will enhance the picture as well as any PP work.
As Robins are so friendly use that to your advantage and entice him out from the undergrowth with some food, and stage your feeding area to leave plenty of space behind him to ensure a smooth backdrop.....
Food with bird photography is your friend. A simple post will work fine as your work area. I'll leave you an example, this one took some bread I gave him and rewarded me with a nice close up. I think this shot has had minimal processing it is more or less straight from camera.
Ian :)

http://flic.kr/p/8Y4PWX

Hi Ian, thanks for your comments. This was taken at a bird reserve in some woods so I didn't manage to ply him with anything. I quite like a bit of greenery/habitat in the shot. Each to their own I guess. I will certainly try it though! :)

I've tried again with #7, maybe he's not quite so lairy now?

Last edited:
Hi Tori, first let me say how much of an improvement these are on your early attempts (y) Tbh having not seen many posts from you in here lately I thought that you were still building that hide of your`s and did not know when to finish it. Visions of a 3 bed semi detached hide were creeping in to my mind :LOL: Anyway here would be my choice out of the bunch with a few minor adjustments, hope you dont mind and I will remove for you if you wish. As you say we will all have varying opinions so making the right choice is never easy ;)

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

Good edits Rich, colours look a lot more realistic.

Maybe a few notes on your PP would be a helpful guideline for Tori.

I think a day of cakes, kites and processing is in dire need very soon :naughty: :naughty:

Surely two minds are better than one.:LOL:

Well that's my excuse of getting together anyway (y)

Good edits Rich, colours look a lot more realistic.

Maybe a few notes on your PP would be a helpful guideline for Tori.

Thanks Tom, certainly nothing special. The hardest part is to try and get a feel of what it might of looked like at the time, when it is somebody else`s picture that makes it harder to visualise. I reduced the vibrancy and saturation down a bit, lightened it up a touch using levels, and then reduced Cyan and Magenta seperately. Gave them all a sharpen, and then faded the sharpening down till they looked somewhere handy.

I think a day of cakes, kites and processing is in dire need very soon :naughty: :naughty:

Those Kites are a big distraction Nicki :D Place the cakes on the computer table, take the batteries out of my camera and I think you will have a recipe for some one to one :LOL:

Thanks Rich. I still need to work on my pp skills. I'm not sure about the colours still, but the sharpening seems better. Are you using LR?

Thanks Tom, certainly nothing special. The hardest part is to try and get a feel of what it might of looked like at the time, when it is somebody else`s picture that makes it harder to visualise. I reduced the vibrancy and saturation down a bit, lightened it up a touch using levels, and then reduced Cyan and Magenta seperately. Gave them all a sharpen, and then faded the sharpening down till they looked somewhere handy.

Cheers for popping back with that Rich. Lot easier to work from the unedited file and go forward on the PP rather than having to work back to reduce the PP as you had to do here. Certainly a good example how all is not lost with a 'overworked' image.

Ok, thanks Rob. I agree #7 is a wee bit lairy :LOL: I'm still experimenting...

An original? Hmm...now let me see, how am I going to do that without undoing all the pp. Ok, let me work on that lol. If I make a virtual copy in LR, then undo all the pp on the copy, will undo it on the original too? Ooo the confusion...

Just make your virtual copy in LR, take that into Develop module & click on reset and you will remove all the LR edits you did.

Tori, does the above grab your fancy? !!

I have Lightroom also but not used it much :D

Excellent shots Tori :clap:. Are all of these with your 70-300??

Nicky...defo! ;-) I'll look forward to it!

Tom, I know how to undo edits, it's just if you make a virtual copy it overrides anything else you've done when you republish it, which is a bit of a pain. I had another go at #

CBA, yes they are :) and thanks!

I've had another go at these so maybe you could let me know what you think. I've toned them down a bit/lightened etc. Thanks :)

Last edited:
For me, #9 is the pick of the bunch, with #10 being a close runner up. If you need a third then I'm torn between #4 and #5.

My choice is based on the pose of the bird, the eye contact, the catchlight in the eye and the overall effect of the PP. I do find the surrounding twigs to be rather messy and a way to improve these next time would be to really find a shooting position that creates a less cluttered, or more complementary environment which doesn't compete with the bird for attention. e.g.....

20101219_115335_3922-Edit_LR.jpg

Back