Please, please can you help?

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
Yes
Please could you lovely people help me make a decision on a new camera. I'm slowly going mad with all the reviews etc I've read.

Basically my needs are for a good point and shoot. Something easy that can teach me a few skills but is basically a press and go.
I take a lot of action shots (children and sport) and would like a decent zoom.
I'd like a good video on it, preferably one that zooms in.
Anti-blur/ISO seems to be standard, a function I like.
Size isn't an issue, as long as the pictures are good quality.

I am very new to loving this hobby and have a lot to learn. I don't want a completely basic camera as I'd like to grow with it. However, don't talk to me just yet about anything remotely technical!...I am literally buying photography for Dummies to get me started on this new road.
I currently have a Kodak Easyshare DX7440 which has been great but I do a lot of editing in Picassa/Photoshop and the quality looses out when cropped plus the zoom is very limiting. Loved the camera tho for ease of use.

I have been trawling the internet reviews etc for weeks now and still can't come up with a suitable camera.
Here's the short list I have put together;

- Canon Powershot S5 IS
- Canon A650
- Canon SX100 IS
- Panasonic Lumix TZ3
- Canon G9
- Ricoh R7

Please, please can anyone enlighten me on which camera would best suit.
I would really appreciate any help at all. Thankyou.

Im suprised you havent listed a Fuji.

Id reccomend the Fuji S9600, Very easy to use, has alot of features you would find on an SLR, takes excellent quality photos, decent zoom lens (28-300 equiv) also does 800x600 video that you can use the lens to zoom with, Excells with people shots, it really is a great piece of kit.

I had an S9500 as my first camera, loved it to bits and then broke it, replaced it with the S9600 which i loved even more!

you can get them brand new under £200..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Fujifilm-FinePix-S9600-Digital-camera-9-0-megapixel_W0QQitemZ170171255949QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(y)

Amanda

The camera I'd choose may not be the one you would, for a number of reasons.

Best suggestion I can make is go and hold the cameras and use them. Find a dealer who'll let you do that. You may have to visit a few to get through your whole list.

Weigh up the pros and cons. In fact you could do that before hand. That may eliminate one or two.

You do seem to like Canon, which is no bad thing.

Personally I'd go for the G9 only because it's got a good pixel count and it handles RAW. BUT as I said it's not what I want it's what you want

Hope this small piece of advice helps.:)

^^ Deffo the best advice, we can all suggest you a camera which we have found to be perfect but you are not us, so get yourself down to Jessops with your shortlist and have a play with them, once you have found one you like, check out the prices on tinternet..

Im suprised you havent listed a Fuji.

Id reccomend the Fuji S9600, Very easy to use, has alot of features you would find on an SLR, takes excellent quality photos, decent zoom lens (28-300 equiv) also does 800x600 video that you can use the lens to zoom with, Excells with people shots, it really is a great piece of kit.

I had an S9500 as my first camera, loved it to bits and then broke it, replaced it with the S9600 which i loved even more!

you can get them brand new under £200..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Fujifilm-FinePix-S9600-Digital-camera-9-0-megapixel_W0QQitemZ170171255949QQihZ007QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(y)

Spot on,
I started with a fuji & loved it to bits!(y)

Spence

I dont know much about those cameras. Only info I can throw your way is that a friend of mine spent a lot of time looking for the best one, and bought the G9. He loves it.

Hope that helps :D

Back