please recommend a macro?

Name
Nattelie
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a macro lens still, gotta be less than £200 (sony/minolta fit, any make). i want it to take pictures of flowers, tiny flowers, petals etc.

I saw one, this one, slightly above budget but I *think* that's what I mean I want?

Hands up that I'm an SLR noob *blushes* when it comes to lenses, I reaaly don't understand lenses much at all...

Whilst that is a dedicated macro I think if you want to do realy tiny work you'd need a longer focal length, maybe a 100mm macro or the sigma 105mm macro

DSCF2313.jpg

DSCF2400.jpg

DSCF2407.jpg

These are the kinda things that I'd like to do. (I took these with fuji finepix 8100sd)

You won't be disappointed with the Sigma Macro lens - this is the same model (although ours is a Canon fit) as we have and we get some great shots with it - my daughter loves using it. It is a true Macro lens aswell, ie 1 to 1 magnification. See the link below for more info (y)

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/macro/50mm.htm

The latest edition of PhotoPlus has done a feature on Macro lenses and this Sigma came out as best value on test.

Also works well as a 50mm prime lens (y)

Whilst that is a dedicated macro I think if you want to do realy tiny work you'd need a longer focal length, maybe a 100mm macro or the sigma 105mm macro

When it comes to macro the focal length of the lens doesn't do as you would normally expect.
You need to be looking at the magnification factor. Both the 50mm and the 105 mm will do 1:1 magnification.
The only difference the focal length makes between the 2 lens`s is your working distance at full magnification. With the 50mm at 1:1 you will be roughly 5-6 inch`s from the front of the lens, where as the 105 you will be about 9.
Look at the specs of both len`s. The figures given of minimum focus distance at max magnification is taken from the camera`s sensor so you also have to take into account the length of the lens to get your working distance.

thank you

and thank you for helping me understand a little better, Bagger, much appriciated

There are also other ways to get into macro without having to spend all your cash on a dedicated macro lens.
You can get yourself a quality clip on macro lens / filter adapter for a bout 40-60 quid. Something like the Raynox-DCR-250-Macro-Lens.
The results are really outstanding. Just check out the Macro section, alot of people in there use the DCR250.

Back