please recommend me a filter

Edit My Images
Yes
hi

i've just bought a cokin p series filter holder and adapter , i'm also trying to amass a few filters , i bought a ND grad , to try my hand at water etc

can someone recommend me a filter for outdoor landscape stuff please , not really sure what i need , something to make the sky a bit bluer perhaps

your suggestions ?

Your ND graduated filter should help make the colour in the sky more dense, what do you mean by 'try your hand at water'? If you mean longer exposures and make the water very blurred, you really need a strong full ND filter not a graduated filter which is usually used to try to balance the light from the sky with the light hitting the foreground. This will of course depend on what level of ND grad you have procured, and the final effect will be dependant on the contrast between the two against the strength of the filter used.

A circular polorising filter will make the sky blue'r if the sky you are photographing is about 90 degrees or so from the sun as this is when the polorised light is at it's strongest and can be nicely filtered out to give the deeper blue sky effect that you often see in magazines, as you move away from 90 degrees the effect is less pronounced until eventually there is virtually no effect at all.

Ideally for landscape photography, I would suggest a few ND grads in x2, x4, and x8 (1, 2 & 3 stops) varieties as well as a couple of ND filters x4 and x8 (2 & 3 stops) and a circular poloriser (this can be physically round or rectangular, the circular refers to the way it polorises the light not it's physical shape) do not buy a linear poloriser, it will not work with modern cameras easily (effects the af and metering) if you are very adventurous you could alao get a 10 stop ND filter (very extreme though).

Hope this helps!

Suggestion - read a bit before buying and then you'll know what you need and why.

Try reading Lee Frost's "A Photographer's Guide to Filters"

Rick....Rick....
slap.gif

pointless having a forum then isnt it ?

dont post on here just buy the book !

For someone willing to buy a filter holder, and in doing so buying into a range of filters, without first doing some research it astounds me you won't purchase a book.

I'll buy gear I know nothing about but other people say is good but I won't buy a book to help me decide what gear I need :bang:

For someone willing to buy a filter holder, and in doing so buying into a range of filters, without first doing some research it astounds me you won't purchase a book.

I'll buy gear I know nothing about but other people say is good but I won't buy a book to help me decide what gear I need :bang:

please re read my original post carefully , I only asked for advice on the type of filter required , i'm on a limited budget and i'm trying to get a few essential filters , I dont want to buy a book as the money spent could go towards another filter.

please accept my apologies if asking for help on a forum has offended you in anyway

thankfully theres far more helpful people than you on here

Having re read your initial post I still think my above advice was correct - you got an ND grad to help with water; an ND grad is normally to prevent blowing the highlights in the sky whilst correctly exposing for a darker foreground, an ND would be used to slow down shutter speed to allow for milky/smokey water.

You do not know what to use for what, so I advised reading a book on filters to give you the basic knowledge then you can ask any questions based upon filling the gaps, not telling you every single thing

*walks away to the 5 other current filter threads on the first page of talk equipment*

Having re read your initial post I still think my above advice was correct - you got an ND grad to help with water; an ND grad is normally to prevent blowing the highlights in the sky whilst correctly exposing for a darker foreground, an ND would be used to slow down shutter speed to allow for milky/smokey water.

You do not know what to use for what, so I advised reading a book on filters to give you the basic knowledge then you can ask any questions based upon filling the gaps, not telling you every single thing

*walks away to the 5 other current filter threads on the first page of talk equipment*

in my second post i corrected myself regarding the type of filter i'd purchased. I'd incorrectly stated it was a grad when it wasn't.

hopefully someone with their brain engaged will be along soon

:bonk::bonk::bonk:

If the thread and the OP`s original question offends you so much,why comment on it?

Saying that,a simple search of the forum would have uncovered a myriad of filter threads that would have helped in the first instance.............:)

Post 9:
please re read my original post carefully

Post 11:
in my second post i corrected myself

Stop getting offended that I gave you advise you didn't like.

We obviously think differently, I prefer to amass knowledge then ask for clarification whereas you prefer to be given it whilst asking questions at the same time. Obviously the book isn't the correct route for you, but I still think its worth having a look if you can get one from your local library, hell, I'll even post you my copy if you want it for a couple of weeks to read

Post 9:

Post 11:

Stop getting offended that I gave you advise you didn't like.

We obviously think differently, I prefer to amass knowledge then ask for clarification whereas you prefer to be given it whilst asking questions at the same time. Obviously the book isn't the correct route for you, but I still think its worth having a look if you can get one from your local library, hell, I'll even post you my copy if you want it for a couple of weeks to read

I aint offended , far from it , i'm baffled thats all

I only asked for a bit of advice , i dont want anyones life story all i wanted was a filter name or number that i could buy and have a play with

as for books , no one likes books and reading more than me , but at the moment i prefer the cheaper route of asking on a forum

end of ...........................

Rick, I agree with you. The same question keeps on coming up, over and over again....

If these guys can't be bothered to read the other posts on the same subject, let alone spend a tenner on a book, what hope is there for them?

NB ...... I think there must have been an article on using ND filters in one of the photo mags recently....;)

Rick, I agree with you. The same question keeps on coming up, over and over again....

If these guys can't be bothered to read the other posts on the same subject, let alone spend a tenner on a book, what hope is there for them?

NB ...... I think there must have been an article on using ND filters in one of the photo mags recently....;)

if it bothers you so much why post on these threads ?

you've obviously got better things to do

if it bothers you so much why post on these threads ?

you've obviously got better things to do

Well, did you read them? Rick's reply was entirely appropriate given your question. Lee themselves do a book on using filters too. See their ads in the photo press.

I've answered quite a few almost identical posts recently (and so have other people). Yours just happened to be the one that got a little bit of stick.

Well, did you read them? Rick's first reply was entirely appropriate given your question. Lee themselves do a book on using filters too. See their ads in the photo press.

I've answered quite a few almost identical posts recently (and so have other people). Yours just happened to be the one that got a little bit of stick.

Well, did you read them? Rick's reply was entirely appropriate given your question. Lee themselves do a book on using filters too. See their ads in the photo press.

luckily for me i've had one proper helpful reply "thanks edbray"

the sad fact is , since this thread has been hijacked by morons , its deterring people from posting

thanks lads !!!

hope i can do the same for you sometime

Not to hijack this post but It's so similar as to not warrant a new thread: If I buy the Nikon Cokin Filter set, what adapters (if any) will I need to buy for my AF-S 18-200mm lens?

If I buy the Nikon Cokin Filter set, what adapters (if any) will I need to buy for my AF-S 18-200mm lens?

hi dave 1st off theres no such thing as a nikon cokin filter set they can be used all all makes of camera including the make us darksiders dont speak of

so you need
a holder for whatever size filter you're using A , P or whatever ,most folks use P size & an adaptor ring to suit both the holder and the filter thread on your lens .

look on the lens body and you'll find an 0with a diagonal line through it followed by a number thats the filter thread size of the lens

for further info look here

http://www.cokin.co.uk/

and 1 of many suppliers are here

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3071&brand=44

you might also want to look here

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm

[ edit ]

i've just noticed a link @ the top of this page for another supplier

also a good alternative to cokin filters are
hitech do a search on here and all will be revealed

found the linkies for hitech filters well worth a look as an alternative ( better ) to cokin

http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/products.aspx

or here

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=6ef3ca11d57241e27c2df40161159fab

hi dave 1st off theres no such thing as a nikon cokin filter set they can be used all all makes of camera including the make us darksiders dont speak of

so you need
a holder for whatever size filter you're using A , P or whatever ,most folks use P size & an adaptor ring to suit both the holder and the filter thread on your lens .

look on the lens body and you'll find an 0with a diagonal line through it followed by a number thats the filter thread size of the lens

for further info look here

http://www.cokin.co.uk/

and 1 of many suppliers are here

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/basecategory.aspx?cat03=3071&brand=44

you might also want to look here

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm

[ edit ]

i've just noticed a link @ the top of this page for another supplier

also a good alternative to cokin filters are
hitech do a search on here and all will be revealed

found the linkies for hitech filters well worth a look as an alternative ( better ) to cokin

http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/products.aspx

or here

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=6ef3ca11d57241e27c2df40161159fab

thanks for that daftbugga

interesting stuff

:)

I think you need to calm down a bit tbh. Rick's advice wasn't bad. It makes sense to do some research prior to investing in equipment. It seems strange that you'd rather have someone tell you what filter to buy rather than think about why you would need it in the first place.

With regards to your OP; as has been suggested a CP filter will make the sky more blue. You can also get colour grads that would have the same effect but wouldn't deal with reflections/glare.

Also if you have image editing software you could save yourself cash on filters as many filter effects can easily be replicated in pp.

I think you need to calm down a bit tbh. Rick's advice wasn't bad. It makes sense to do some research prior to investing in equipment. It seems strange that you'd rather have someone tell you what filter to buy rather than think about why you would need it in the first place.

With regards to your OP; as has been suggested a CP filter will make the sky more blue. You can also get colour grads that would have the same effect but wouldn't deal with reflections/glare.

Also if you have image editing software you could save yourself cash on filters as many filter effects can easily be replicated in pp.

thanks for your reply

Tbh as far as i'm concerned Rick didn't give me any advice , but thats his problem not mine

the sole reason i asked this question was to try and find a solution quickly and without too many expensive mistakes ( something that may have happened had i just read a book and chose myself) I find "real world" experience more useful.

If I had read a book I would have got only one opinion (that of the author) granted he is more than likely a "pro" but an objective opinion was all i was after , hence me fooloishly asking the question on an internet forum

I cant understand for the life of me why people moan about threads and still post on them , i'm obviously missing the point ! if it were me and I was sick of filter threads i probably wouldn't click on them !!!!

when i first started posting on here two weeks ago i thought it was a very helpful and friendly forum , i aint so sure now :thumbsdown:

mrgas,

You will also find advice on how and when to USE filters in books, magazine articles and on the internet.

People writing this kind of stuff often DO have many years of experience. People posting on here sometimes don't.

i realise that , but as i stated earlier I wanted a quick answer/suggestion as I wanted to get a couple ordered ASAP.

when i have some spare cash I will be buying books , i'm not averse to reading , the plus side also being I will spend less time on here bothering the "experts"

Meester Propane,take a chill pill and leave this thread behind you.........(y)

Folk on here are helpful and knowledgable, use the search function and do some reading on here about filters.There are ample threads for you to go at..........For example,clickety click......ten pages of them,perhaps you understand why some folks get pee`d off with the same question.........:)

And for Gawds sake ,don`t ask about tripods.......:LOL:

Just trying to lighten it up a bit,none intended.

And for Gawds sake ,don`t ask about tripods.......:LOL:

Just trying to lighten it up a bit,none intended.

pleeeese mister fracster can i ask about tripods :D

oh and your clickety click dont seem to be working
says sorry no matches

rather apt considering

oh never mind

It don`t....:cautious:.....Oh bugger........:coat:

Perhaps you should buy a book to read up on it or do a search on here...........:naughty:

I`m gone.......(y)

Hi, a circular polar (not the shape the type) is worth the investment in my opinion. I use one frequently. To balance the photo, the .6 or .9 nd graduated filters are useful.

Back