Please! What type of mount is this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 93880
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 93880

I've dug out a couple of old items that I haven't used for a while and I'm not sure they're what I thought they were.

Can anyone identify the type of mount that this Hanimex 500mm F8 mirror lens is using?

It's for a Nikon F mount camera body but I thought it was a T mount ring or maybe even a T2 but something doesn't make sense.

I also have this telescope eyepiece adaptor for attaching a (D)SLR to an astronomical telescope and by all accounts it does need a T/T2 ring to be able to use it with a camera.

So I thought I'd just take the ring of the old Hanimex lens and use that (I've used something in the past but can no longer find it after several house moves and I was convinced it was this adaptor from my lens that I had used before).

I'm now so confused, I don't know what I've got or what I need so that I can use the camera adaptor on my F mount camera body.

Can any of you identify the threads or the mounts that I've attached photos of?lens_mount_001.jpglens_mount_001.jpglens_mount_005.jpglens_mount_004.jpglens_mount_003.jpglens_mount_002.jpg

OK, well, it's a Nikon F mount, I know that much because the rear end of it fits my Nikon EM and my Two Fuji S1 and S3 bodies but not sure about "TCON". The lens is a 500mm mirror lens and the adapter is for a telscope and the ring is God know what type of ring for fitting some kind of standardised Hanimex lens to whatever body you choose (in this case a Nikon EM.

Did Hanimex have their own mount ring system for their lenses in the early 1990s?

IMO you can see on the last picture (edge on) that there is evidence of grub screw marks i.e. an adaptor fits over the hanimex end and the grub screws in the adaptor are used to lock it into place.

And in the preceding picture of the adaptor I can see/make out what look like such grub screws.

Old T-mount lens with what would be the 'inner ring' of a T2 mount a permanent part of the lens (or stuck on it)? Telescope thing may need a standard T2.

You have it right, Box Brownie. That is indeed how the adaptor ring fits to the rear end of the lens and the rings were available for many different bodies. What I'm not sure of is whether this was used by any other lens manufacturers or if it was a non-standard OEM thing by Hanimex. The thread in the adaptor ring is also confusing because it makes it look like it could take a 42mm screw or a T mount but I don't think it fits these either. It's just all very confusing because I've got no other kit to try it on to see if it's interchangeable with anything else - and I still need something for the telescope adaptor tube but am not confident that I will buy the right thing if I get a T mount. This wouldn't be such a problem if retail outlets were open and I could go to the likes of LCE and physically try something.

Firstly, does the adaptor ring you show actually fit the Hanimex & did I read it right that the bayonet fitting does mount on the Nikon body?

If yes to both above.......could the thread be a dual purpose function e.g. if the lens has a threaded mount the grub screws are there to "secure" it. But where, as per your Hanimex, it has no thread it just attaches to the lens with the grub screws!
Edit~ or the other dual purpose is to attach the Meade adaptor instead of a camera???

Hence, if the adaptor does fit both lens and camera why not just try it out? Though bearing in mind that it is 100% manual operation.

Last edited:
The adaptor ring does indeed fit the Hanimex (it was sold with it to make the lens a 'Nikon' lens - fit) so the bayonet does fit the Nikon body, yes.

I've tried to attach the ring to the telescope adaptor tube but the thread only just grips before becoming too tight to turn any further. I do have a couple of M42 thread camera bodies and lenses that I could try with the adaptor but I just put them in storage on Sunday and can't get to them in a hurry.

I'm totally OK with the 100% manual operation of the lens and am happy that the lens fits the camera and works OK using the adaptor ring.

My problem is that I think I need a T mount or T2 mount ring and I was under the impression that this was what I had on the rear of the Hanimex but it obviously can't be if the telescope adaptor is in fact a T/T2 thread because I can't get them to fit each other.

I'm baffled as to what the Hanimex adaptor is or what it should be called or what I'd have to order if, for example, I wanted to use the 500mm lens on an Olympus or Canon body.

Back