Plug in Sharpener

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I have Elements 6 and lightroom. both of which i use, Lightroom for general enhancments and elements for layers, selective colouring etc.

I am a total beginner and have just begun experimenting with PP techniques. Have read the 'missing manual guide and the 'lightroom' book the grey coloured one and also watched loads of tutorials etc. I think i have the hang of it!!!

Back to my question....how do you find the sharpeners in elements and Lightroom. I fully accept that it cant work miracles and you need a decent image to begin with but do you recommend them or a plug in specific tool for sharpening.

I have seen the effects of the pixelgenius one but this if for CS3 only and not elements.

Any recomendations, is it possible?:thinking:
Much appreciated(y)
GPC

I must admit, GPC, that i export to CS3 when i need specific control over sharpening..... LR for me is more a catalogue and basic adjustment tool (dont get me wrong, its excellent) but i use a load of layer techniques.

I probably use it incorrectly, but it works for me :)

I don't use the sharpening tool in LR, it's really quite bad. Photoshop all the way :) (for a basic sharpen, open the image, go to filters>sharpen>smart sharpen and have a play).

Thanks Chaps,

I only have elements 6 andnot the full photoshop. I very much doubt i would use a full photoshop as I am a beginner and have only just learnt what layers are and do. Have had a play with the Panoramic maker tool in elements, thats great and agreed, the sharpener in elements is better that lightroom.

But I do find that the elements sharpener (and the lighroom sharpener) create a very 'digital' effect. They llok a bit harsh.

Is there a plug in/add on or specific sharpening program that anyone uses/recommends os should i just stick to elemens sharpening tool as this is as good as it gets?

Much appreciated
Gpc

The plug-in i use for CS3 is also a stand-alone called imagenomic. Its very good and great value.

I have used noise ninja in the past - again, pretty good, but imagenomic gets the edge.

Back