weekly Plumtreelad's 52 for 2015 - Week 7 Bold

Interesting take on the topic, but love the way you managed to capture the spray coming of the surface and the look of concentration on the guy's face. Nice work.

Hi David a bit of a catch up for me, sorry it's taken me so long...

Companions: great concept for the theme. Very personal and engaging. I agree with @fabphoto that a full cup of coffee would work better, but still. The crop is interesting - I'd be tempted to include a bit more of the coffee cup perhaps, but also understand why you decided a closer crop was more intimate. You did well to include just enough of the background chairs etc. so we know it's a coffee shop but not too much that it's distracting. Great shot for a phone!

Elegant: well that's a beauty. Perfectly lit - just enough detail off the metallic paint, fantastic control of the reflected glare from the metal and super shadows which really accentuate the texture of that beautiful badge. An absolutely cracking shot - I think your best yet! Well done :clap:

Watery: well, as a former hockey player and someone who's tried to shoot a match during the Commonwealth Games, I know how fast this game is, especially on a good surface like that one (very jealous!) Framing is fantastic, judging by the water spray he's in the process of hitting it, so the ball's about to move through frame - absolutely perfect composition. Top notch shot - could easily be in a paper or online match commentary, it's that good for me :)

Hi David a bit of a catch up for me, sorry it's taken me so long...

Companions: great concept for the theme. Very personal and engaging. I agree with @fabphoto that a full cup of coffee would work better, but still. The crop is interesting - I'd be tempted to include a bit more of the coffee cup perhaps, but also understand why you decided a closer crop was more intimate. You did well to include just enough of the background chairs etc. so we know it's a coffee shop but not too much that it's distracting. Great shot for a phone!

Elegant: well that's a beauty. Perfectly lit - just enough detail off the metallic paint, fantastic control of the reflected glare from the metal and super shadows which really accentuate the texture of that beautiful badge. An absolutely cracking shot - I think your best yet! Well done :clap:

Watery: well, as a former hockey player and someone who's tried to shoot a match during the Commonwealth Games, I know how fast this game is, especially on a good surface like that one (very jealous!) Framing is fantastic, judging by the water spray he's in the process of hitting it, so the ball's about to move through frame - absolutely perfect composition. Top notch shot - could easily be in a paper or online match commentary, it's that good for me :)
Hi Paul,

thanks for all your helpful comments. I agree that the Companions image in the coffee shop would have benefitted from a bit more attention to detail.
As to the hockey, I am a bit of a freelance sports photographer and cut my teeth on hockey. I am club photographer at Beeston Hockey Club and as well as covering their games, I have also done work for England Hockey. Had many images in Newspapers and online magazines. Great fun and a great way to learn about the art of sports photography!

Thanks again for your comments and appreciate the time taken to provide the reply.

As to the hockey, I am a bit of a freelance sports photographer and cut my teeth on hockey. I am club photographer at Beeston Hockey Club and as well as covering their games, I have also done work for England Hockey. Had many images in Newspapers and online magazines. Great fun and a great way to learn about the art of sports photography!

Yes I can see ... professional stuff. (y)

Was getting desperate this morning so went out to Wollaton Park in Nottingham and managed to get this squirrel that seemed to be so busy eating the nuts that it was not concerned about my presence. Very bold I thought. But to try to add a bit more meaning to the theme I decided to ad a brass threepenny bit - bold as brass! Best I can do!

View attachment 31175

someone else did one with the squirrel eating from their hand which reflects the theme a bit more, but even so the animal is being bold by getting so close. I think it needs to be turned clockwise ever so slightly. And sorry but I don't like the coin, it didn't make sense to me and it looks disjointed. Maybe if the coin had been next to the seed...

Hi David, nce shot of the squirrel, but I have to agree with Summer, the threepenny bit doesn't work for me - sorry

LOL David, Yes greys really can be bold at times.
TBH though I'm also not keen on the thruppenybit.

We have a family of squirrels in our garden and they certainly are bold as brass.

Lovely textures on the fur and good light. The eye looks a little OOF and, yeah, the coin looks a little artificial (which I appreciate it is).

Cheers.

Bold cheeky bold ... I like it, well caught. I'm another who's not keen on the thruppenybit.

Hi, agree with the above comments about the coin there is no need really, nice pic of the squirrel though

someone else did one with the squirrel eating from their hand which reflects the theme a bit more, but even so the animal is being bold by getting so close. I think it needs to be turned clockwise ever so slightly. And sorry but I don't like the coin, it didn't make sense to me and it looks disjointed. Maybe if the coin had been next to the seed...
Hi David, nce shot of the squirrel, but I have to agree with Summer, the threepenny bit doesn't work for me - sorry

LOL David, Yes greys really can be bold at times.
TBH though I'm also not keen on the thruppenybit.

We have a family of squirrels in our garden and they certainly are bold as brass.

Lovely textures on the fur and good light. The eye looks a little OOF and, yeah, the coin looks a little artificial (which I appreciate it is).

Cheers.

Bold cheeky bold ... I like it, well caught. I'm another who's not keen on the thruppenybit.

Hi, agree with the above comments about the coin there is no need really, nice pic of the squirrel though

Thanks everyone. Sorry to make this a group response but have been away and only just catching up. Additionally you are all making the same point so relatively easy to respond. I agree that my attempt to be clever by inserting the 3d piece was misplaced. I was trying to give a graphic interpretation of "Bold as Brass" The squirrel was bold and the 3d bit is brass. But hey, it didn't work and I have learned something new. I will keep trying and once again thanks for your comments

Hi David ...that's a super shot of the squirrel ...cheeky aren't they. We never see any here ...I'd love to have one in my garden.

The threepenny bit would maybe have worked better as a stand alone image with some text in it, but well done for trying it out, the challenge is here for us to use our imagination and try new things :)

Elegant - Nice detail shot of the car. Good use of the cropping tool as well to suit the size/shape of the subject.

Watery - Good action shot which has been well exposed and captures the water splashing off the surface nicely. The sharpness of the subject is spot on which shows the concentration in the player’s eyes.

Bold - I understand why you added it for the theme but I do feel the inclusion of the coin distracts from what is a really good image of the squirrel. We get them in our garden but I’ve never been successful (maybe down to my patience) to get a good shot of them. Like the watery image the focus and choice of DoF is spot on.

I have to echo everyone above i'm afraid. The penny does nothing for me! A slightly less central composition may improve it too :)

Back