Pochard squadron

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
Another experimental one from me. A high key view of a squadron of drake pochard. Taken at WWT Welney in March

XE7K4088.jpg

EOS-1DsII, EF 500 f/4L IS, beanbag

Thanks for looking

Great experiment GB... (y) ... lovely composition and well observed composition... ;)

Think you got a couple of girl guide type interlopers in there though... :naughty:

:p

I like it... very etherial

I'm just wondering if it would be a tad better if the out of focus graduation wasnt quite as pronounced, if that makes sense.

Great idea though (y)

Have to agree with this, the 2 closest pochards to the right are a little distracting as big out of focus blobs...if they were a little more defined it might have worked better.

Different though :)

Like the idea here Paul - very nice use of DOF. For me its the immediate fg which doesn't work as it appears a bit in limbo like an unfinished border if that makes sense. I think if you actually put a frame around the image that this would overcome this.

Not a favourite of mine Paul sorry.
To my mind there is
just a small amount of detail outweighed by a large percentage
of "non detail"
I much prefer you "normal" images

Thanks for the feedback

I like it... very etherial

I'm just wondering if it would be a tad better if the out of focus graduation wasnt quite as pronounced, if that makes sense.

Great idea though (y)

Thanks. I think you're probably right but I didn't have the light to stop down any more than I was. I'm in two minds. Sometimes I like the receeding pochards but other times I wish they weren't there.

Great experiment GB... (y) ... lovely composition and well observed composition... ;)

Think you got a couple of girl guide type interlopers in there though... :naughty:

Thanks Ven. I think there may be a couple of ladies but the vast majority are chaps. They were telling me that most of the lasses winter on the Med whilst the boys winter in Norfolk! Strange really.

Refreshingly different Paul, works very well for me.

Thanks Donna.

Have to agree with this, the 2 closest pochards to the right are a little distracting as big out of focus blobs...if they were a little more defined it might have worked better.

Different though :)

Thanks Phil. It's a real problem shooting at water level (I was lying on a pallet with water lapping around it). What looks clear is suddenly filled with busy background. I'm working through some other ones and will post more when I get the chance.

Like the idea here Paul - very nice use of DOF. For me its the immediate fg which doesn't work as it appears a bit in limbo like an unfinished border if that makes sense. I think if you actually put a frame around the image that this would overcome this.

Thanks Tom. I wonder if that varies by background colour? You are right that it looks better on the dark BG in Lightroom than the light grey I see here.

Not a favourite of mine Paul sorry.
To my mind there is
just a small amount of detail outweighed by a large percentage
of "non detail"
I much prefer you "normal" images

Thanks Chris. I was trying to mix "detail" and "abstract" in the same shot but guess this one doesn't quite cut it. Still, if you don't try, you don't move on!

Paul

Back