PocketWizard FlexTT5 misfires

Edit My Images
No
Hi, does anyone have an answer or a possible solution to my flash misfires using pocketwizards? When ever I'm photographing a first dance I use one flash on a stand connected to a PocketWizard FlexTT5 and have another flash on camera via a PocketWizard MiniTT1. This setup works fine for a time, both flashes syncing but after a while the on camera one sticks and I get a little asterisk next to the flash icon in camera. This problem also occurs when I have no flash on camera and 2 flashes on stands via PocketWizard FlexTT5.... So far the only solution has been to switch everything off then back on which isn't very practical. The problem still occurs when I tried it with different flashes. I use a combo of 2 x 580ex and 1 x 550ex... Any help would be great fully received....

Thanks in advance...

I dumped my PW Flex's after loads of problems during 1st dance. I put it down to dj eqpt interfering with the radio signal.

I deduced this when I'd come in from portrait sessions where everything worked perfectly, set up for 1st dance and had a nightmare.

I sold them and bought Yongnuo kit, couldn't be happier.

I had the same problem, sent an email to pocketwizards helpline and explained my problem, they were very good and I sent it back they fixed it and all was well.

I had one of the first sets in the UK, and they didn't last long till they had to go back.

While pw have managed through firmware, not to mention silly lead socks, to improve matters, the fact is that PW are simply on the wrong frequencies - frequencies that suffer far more from interference than, say, 2.4ghz triggers (now the trigger standard frequency).

Even the very flashes that they are trying to trigger emit interference on the PW chosen wavelengths. This is a very widely documented problem.

Add in DJ gear and a once in a lifetime first dance, and there is no way I would use them.

Unbelievably, I've never had a problem with bargain basement yongnuo equipment.

Last edited:
I thought that the frequency issue was with the US pocketwizards, whereas the European variety are on a different frequency.
The frequency issues on the US ones actually cause the workings of some flashguns to interfere with them (not considered a design fault?), so they sell a 'sock' for your flashgun to help.

The frequency of the UK ones avoids that, but other radio devices definitely interfere. I'm no expert on bandwidths, but I know when my first dance plans have been scuppered.

I thought that the frequency issue was with the US pocketwizards, whereas the European variety are on a different frequency.

The US frequency models are affected more that EU ones, but there's not much in it. The biggest difference is which flash guns you have, with 430EX, 580EX and 580EXii being the worst offenders.

PW would love you to be believe this. They are on different frequencies, but like a hand grenade, close enough is good enough. Or bad enough, as in this case.

Back