Pod Coffee Machines

So the machine arrived this morning and this afternoon, we made our annual Christmas pilgrimage to Aldi (for stollen & wine) so, while we were there, we popped into B&M and picked up some pods (cappuccino & gingerbread latte).

Got home, set up the machine before Mrs F handed me a pod from the gingerbread latte pack. I put it in the machine pressed the button and hey presto! Then we saw that, at the end, there was very little coffee in the mug.

She then pulls another box out of the packet and says "why is this one different to the first box?"

It was then dawns on us that the 1st box was the espresso and the 2nd one was the latte! We then spotted the "me first" and "me second" on the pods. We're such noobs! :LOL:

That said, the upside-down gingerbread lattes were delicious! :D

So the machine arrived this morning and this afternoon, we made our annual Christmas pilgrimage to Aldi (for stollen & wine) so, while we were there, we popped into B&M and picked up some pods (cappuccino & gingerbread latte).

Got home, set up the machine before Mrs F handed me a pod from the gingerbread latte pack. I put it in the machine pressed the button and hey presto! Then we saw that, at the end, there was very little coffee in the mug.

She then pulls another box out of the packet and says "why is this one different to the first box?"

It was then dawns on us that the 1st box was the espresso and the 2nd one was the latte! We then spotted the "me first" and "me second" on the pods. We're such noobs! :LOL:

That said, the upside-down gingerbread lattes were delicious! :D
So what's in each pod, I'm confused because a latte is an espresso shot and milk.

So what's in each pod, I'm confused because a latte is an espresso shot and milk.

Must admit, I was confused as well. I just thought you put the pod in and it made a latte, a bit like the coffee machine at work where you just press the re levant button and it pours out your chosen drink.

Turns out that, in an 8 pack, there are 16 pods, 8 espresso and 8 latte. You use the latte pod 1st, followed by the espresso one.

I always have a pack of espresso pods on hand, so if I want a stronger drink, I can add an extra shot to the regular beverage. Coffee 1.gif

Sorry for laughing, Marc (and we've all done it!) Being a man with a child's taste buds, I like my latte sweeter than it comes from the pods so stir it up before drinking anyway.

Worth giving the milky bit a good stir before adding the shot anyway - the milky bit is always stronger at the bottom otherwise. Let it settle for a few seconds before adding the coffee shot if you like the separation. We use the Ristretto pods for a boost (bought them for a friend who likes Ristretto but she's not allowed to visit so we're using them!)

Mrs Nod's Mum kept overflowing her latte mug - she'd got her espresso pods mixed up with her Americano ones...

Sorry for laughing, Marc (and we've all done it!) Being a man with a child's taste buds, I like my latte sweeter than it comes from the pods so stir it up before drinking anyway.

Worth giving the milky bit a good stir before adding the shot anyway - the milky bit is always stronger at the bottom otherwise. Let it settle for a few seconds before adding the coffee shot if you like the separation. We use the Ristretto pods for a boost (bought them for a friend who likes Ristretto but she's not allowed to visit so we're using them!)

Mrs Nod's Mum kept overflowing her latte mug - she'd got her espresso pods mixed up with her Americano ones...

No need to apologise, we had a good laugh as well.

Will give it another go tomorrow and do it the recommended way. We both noticed that it tasted better the more we drank it so will try stirring it.

I don’t know if they sell Tassimo type pods, but I like their Nespresso pods.

They had Nespresso and Dolce Gusto but no Tassimo but it may well depend on branch or when you go there.

got an old gaggia cubika still firing strong must be 14 years old, it serves up my morning double expresso
not a fan of pods, very expensive compared to just bricks of ground expresso like lavazza and the portions are small.

I don’t know if they sell Tassimo type pods, but I like their Nespresso pods.
I gather that you can't get Tassimo compatible pods - something to do with the bar code on them.
It's one of the advantages of a Nespresso machine, lots of compatible pods at way cheaper prices.
I'm getting tempted by the Gingerbread Latte's that Marc keeps talking about...

Philips Senseo was a great concept, coffee bags (like round teabags) that go into the top with the hot water flowing through them. The only bags available were Douwe Egberts and although nice, the only options were strength and Brazilian or Columbian. Then i found a Llidl knockoff version which were equally as nice. But, it was the Betamax of coffee machines and soon the bags started to disappear off the shelves and places to buy became scarce. We then bought a Tassimo and the missus loves the Baileys coffee.
I personally stick to a caffetiere and make a couple of cups back to back with some Crema and milk.

Think we may have overdone it with the pods. We bought 16 drinks from B&M yesterday having ordered a pack of 8 from Ocado for delivery today along with the 40 from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. So 64 in all.

The Amazon pods are now arriving today so, minus the 4 pods used yesterday, that's 124 pods. Gawd knows where we're going to store them all!

Think we may have overdone it with the pods. We bought 16 drinks from B&M yesterday having ordered a pack of 8 from Ocado for delivery today along with the 40 from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. So 64 in all.

The Amazon pods are now arriving today so, minus the 4 pods used yesterday, that's 124 pods. Gawd knows where we're going to store them all!
My daughter bought me a 'carousel' which holds 5 packs (max 80 pods), it takes about the same amount of space as the Tassimo machine. The Cadburys chocolate pods are twice the size of the coffee/latte pods.

Something like these, lots of others available.....

Last edited:
My daughter bought me a 'carousel' which holds 5 packs (max 80 pods), it takes about the same amount of space as the Tassimo machine. The Cadburys chocolate pods are twice the size of the coffee/latte pods.

Something like these, lots of others available.....

Yes, I'm contemplating something like that, been looking at them on Amazon as well

The Amazon pods are now arriving today so, minus the 4 pods used yesterday, that's 124 pods. Gawd knows where we're going to store them all.

If you have a “The works “ shop, you can buy a wooden box and a bag full of wooden letters for a couple of quid. Paint or stain the box with some simple rub on stuff, stick the letter on with words like Cafe. Latte, mocha etc for a bespoke storage box . Nice creative Christmas present if you can be bothered.

Last edited:
I've been using a Bosch Tassimo machine for years, I can't even remember the last time I used my bean grinder.
As you've already discovered, B&M tend to stock the pods and cheaper than the supermarkets.
We get through a pack of Lattes in four days and I've found that Amazon subscribe and save works quite well price wise.
The supermarkets sometimes have them on offer for a pound cheaper per pack so I also pick a few up there.
I have also used a nespresso machine years ago but the pods work out way more expensive.
My morning ritual is a latte while browsing this forum.

Amateurs! We get 7 or 8 BOXES (5 packs; 40/80 drinks per box) delivered when we do the order. Cupboard under the stairs is full of 'em! The UPS (IIRC) delivery driver always knows when there's a sale on - it seems that we're not the only ones.

Amateurs! We get 7 or 8 BOXES (5 packs; 40/80 drinks per box) delivered when we do the order. Cupboard under the stairs is full of 'em! The UPS (IIRC) delivery driver always knows when there's a sale on - it seems that we're not the only ones.

If only we had a cupboard under the stairs.

So day 2 and we tried the Mocha today. Very nice but you only get half a cup so might need to used 2 pods per cup.

To those that have a Tassimo, do you leave it switched on at the plug? I know it turns itself off after a few minutes. Also, when we switch it on, it takes a few minutes before it will work. The amber light comes on but nothing happens when we press the button. We've been waiting until it turns itself off then it seems to work. Is that normal? The instructions all seem to be diagram based, I prefer words.

Always off at the plug, Just because we noticed the light stayed on so we flicked it off.

So day 2 and we tried the Mocha today. Very nice but you only get half a cup so might need to used 2 pods per cup.

To those that have a Tassimo, do you leave it switched on at the plug? I know it turns itself off after a few minutes. Also, when we switch it on, it takes a few minutes before it will work. The amber light comes on but nothing happens when we press the button. We've been waiting until it turns itself off then it seems to work. Is that normal? The instructions all seem to be diagram based, I prefer words.

Depends which machine. Between us, we have 3 (one at home, one at the studio and one in Crete) - two of them have switches on them which actually turns the power right off but the one here (home) automatically switches off about a minute after the last touch (which includes opening or closing the lid). All stay switched on at the plug. As soon as we open the lid to put a pod in, it switches back on and as soon as the lid's closed, pressing the orange light sets it going. IIRC, the model is a "My Way".

Ours is left switched on at the plug, it turns itself off after a while. I have not noticed any significant delay when pushing the button to make a drink. I just have to remember to remove the used pod when it finishes ........

As well as using the cleaning 'pod' I have found from time to time the 'spout' assemby needs removing & cleaning. I found out the hard way that you ignore this at your peril as it can get blocked. If it gets blocked it will fail to dispense the drink & it 'locks' up & you cannot lift the flap to remove the pod. I think this is due to some sort of safety interlock because of pressure build up. If this happens, switch it off, leave it a few minutes & the pressure will release & you can open the flap.

Depends which machine. Between us, we have 3 (one at home, one at the studio and one in Crete) - two of them have switches on them which actually turns the power right off but the one here (home) automatically switches off about a minute after the last touch (which includes opening or closing the lid). All stay switched on at the plug. As soon as we open the lid to put a pod in, it switches back on and as soon as the lid's closed, pressing the orange light sets it going. IIRC, the model is a "My Way".
Ours is left switched on at the plug, it turns itself off after a while. I have not noticed any significant delay when pushing the button to make a drink. I just have to remember to remove the used pod when it finishes ........

As well as using the cleaning 'pod' I have found from time to time the 'spout' assemby needs removing & cleaning. I found out the hard way that you ignore this at your peril as it can get blocked. If it gets blocked it will fail to dispense the drink & it 'locks' up & you cannot lift the flap to remove the pod. I think this is due to some sort of safety interlock because of pressure build up. If this happens, switch it off, leave it a few minutes & the pressure will release & you can open the flap.

Hmm, everywhere I look tells me that you should be able to start the coffee making process as soon as you switch it on yet I seem to have to wait. It's not a major issue but I would like to know that it is working as it should

:LOL: :LOL: You will be on here until the wee small hours of the morning then Marc when you struggle to sleep!

:LOL: :LOL: You will be on here until the wee small hours of the morning then Marc when you struggle to sleep!
I have great willpower though as caffeine isn't good for me medically so I'm used to rationing it. Those pods will last me a while.

Mind you, I struggle to sleep most nights anyway.

Hmm, everywhere I look tells me that you should be able to start the coffee making process as soon as you switch it on yet I seem to have to wait. It's not a major issue but I would like to know that it is working as it should
With Our machine you have to wait a little while I think something warms up inside

I have a Bosch Tassimo coffee machine, reading this thread i thought i would check how quickly it gets to a ready state and starts making your coffee.
Water tank filled and pod in holder, turn on machine a quick flash of the green symbols for pouring liquid / finished, then close pod holder and press start button and its away so less than 5 seconds before its actively making your brew.

Off to look for some of those gingerbread latte`s i keep reading about on here.

Last edited:
With Our machine you have to wait a little while I think something warms up inside

Interesting, glad it's not just me.

I have a Bosch Tassimo coffee machine, reading this thread i thought i would check how quickly it gets to a ready state and starts making your coffee.
Water tank filled and pod in holder, turn on machine a quick flash of the green symbols for pouring liquid / finished, then close pod holder and press start button and its away so less than 5 seconds before its actively making your brew.

I emailed Tassimo yesterday evening and they replied this morning.

"Thank you for contacting Tassimo and we're very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your new Happy machine.

When you place the pod into the machine and close the lid, you should be able to immediately press the start button and make your drink.

You should definitely never have to wait over a minute for this to happen.

As you have just purchased your machine within the last 3 days, we would recommend either contacting the retailer about a replacement, or giving us a call on our freephone number 0800 0328833 between 8am-5pm, Monday-Saturday, when with your machine, so we can assist you further.

We're very sorry about any disappointment caused.

Please contact us again with any further issues or queries.

Kind Regards,"

Now I've been switching the machine on, then filling the water tank and putting a pod in and by then, the machine appears to be ready to go so not really sure it's worth contacting Amazon, packing the machine up, returning it and waiting for a replacement.

Off to look for some of those gingerbread latte`s i keep reading about on here.

I suspect they're seasonal so might not be around for too long although I'm sure Amazon will have them for a while.

Tried the Flat White this morning and Mrs F had a Cappuccino. Flat White (Kenco) was good although it's a shame they don't do the Costa version. Mrs F found the Cappuccino too strong so she topped it up from the kettle and was then happy.

Only one left to try now (Costa Latte) so am very happy with it.

Thanks for all the replies, you've all been very helpful. (y)

@Marc How quickly does it start up if you have prefilled the tank and put a pod in the holder ?
I have had my coffee machine for a year or two, so maybe the later models take longer to become ready, although looking at Tassimo`s reply it seems like your machine is taking longer than expected to get to a ready state.
If it is working fine apart from the slightly longer startup time, then i guess its up to you if you want the hassle of getting a replacement unit

Last edited:
@Marc How quickly does it start up if you have prefilled the tank and put a pod in the holder ?
I have had my coffee machine for a year or two, so maybe the later models take longer to become ready, although looking at Tassimo`s reply it seems like your machine is taking longer than expected to get to a ready state.
If it is working fine apart from the slightly longer startup time, then i guess its up to you if you want the hassle of getting a replacement unit

I've I fill the water tank and put a pod in then switch it on at the plug, it takes about a minute but given it takes me about that long to get everything ready, there's no issue if I switch it on first. I'm going to leave it switched on at the plug and see if it works immediately the next time.

The reply is a littlev ambiguous as it says it should work immediately after you insert the pod, it doesn't actually mention anything about switching it on.

If you like real coffee, you won't touch any of them; they are aimed at people who drink in the likes of Starbuck's and Costa's - OTT prices and dreadful coffee. :puke:

Get yourself a proper espresso machine with a milk frother - you don't have to spend a fortune. They're a little messy, but at least they don't generate a ton of plastic waste and the grinds make good compost.

Hey, don't drag my Starbucks loving self into pod machine crowd. I have standards you know :eek::p

I have an espresso machine, dedicated coffee grinder, the whole 9 yards. Think of a coffee brewing process, I've tried it. Moka pot? yes. V60? yes. Chemx? yes. Cold brew? yes. Whiskey barrel aged? yes. One of those reversed drip thing that looks like a chemistry set? Yes.

For a quick coffee at home? V60.
With a bit more time? Americano.
Really take my time? Cappuccino.

and I am not kidding about loving Starbucks. :D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sky
Hey, don't drag my Starbucks loving self into pod machine crowd. I have standards you know :eek::p

I have an espresso machine, dedicated coffee grinder, the whole 9 yards. Think of a coffee brewing process, I've tried it. Moka pot? yes. V60? yes. Chemx? yes. Cold brew? yes. Whiskey barrel aged? yes. One of those reversed drip thing that looks like a chemistry set? Yes.

For a quick coffee at home? V60.
With a bit more time? Americano.
Really take my time? Cappuccino.

and I am not kidding about loving Starbucks. :D

So

Canon v Nikon
Mac v PC
iOS v Android
Any others I've forgotten.

Finally, after all these years

Starbucks v Costa! :LOL:

So

Canon v Nikon
Mac v PC
iOS v Android
Any others I've forgotten.

Finally, after all these years

Starbucks v Costa! :LOL:

Starbucks > Costa.

1 - It's more international
2 - Better logo
3 - MUCH better mugs
4 - Better digital app integration. You can order on the app for a coffee ahead of time for a local Starbuck and walk in and it will be there on the collection counter, handy when you are on the way to work and your train is pulling into the station so you just walk in and pick it up without waiting.
5 - More flavours (albeit 90% of them are just sugary crap).
6 - There is also something call Starbucks Reserve - It's amazing. You have to look it up. I've been to the one in Tokyo. It's like a coffee Disneyland.

9de4dEM.jpg

A small hill I am willing to fight anyone on :LOL:

Oh, and It's Canon, Mac & iOS :p

Last edited:
Starbucks > Costa.

:bat:
1 - It's more international
2 - Better logo
3 - MUCH better mugs
4 - Better digital app integration. You can order on the app for a coffee ahead of time for a local Starbuck and walk in and it will be there on the collection counter, handy when you are on the way to work and your train is pulling into the station so you just walk in and pick it up without waiting.
5 - More flavours (albeit 90% of them are just sugary crap).
6 - There is also something call Starbucks Reserve - It's amazing. You have to look it up. I've been to the one in Tokyo. It's like a coffee Disneyland.

So more international, better logo, better mugs, better app but s***e coffee! :LOL:

On a side note, I agree about the mugs. I have either a flat white or latte in Costa but I can't use the small cups or latte gasses so have to order a takeaway cup. On the odd occasion we're in Starbucks, I can use their mugs because they have big handles. That said, I only have hot chocolate because their coffee is s***e! :p

:bat:

So more international, better logo, better mugs, better app but s***e coffee! :LOL:

On a side note, I agree about the mugs. I have either a flat white or latte in Costa but I can't use the small cups or latte gasses so have to order a takeaway cup. On the odd occasion we're in Starbucks, I can use their mugs because they have big handles. That said, I only have hot chocolate because their coffee is s***e! :p

The coffee is okay, you just need to know what you order really, the filter stuff is not bad, it's hard to mess that up. The thing about them is that because they are everywhere, when i am in a new country. I can rely on them for a hot drink and i know what I am getting, even though it is **** as you call it, plus a place for free wifi. It's more than coffee, it's the whole thing. I can't take advantage of Costa in Japan so that automatically loses.

Starbucks in the Far East is much nicer, it's just crap in this country. And I really can't see what's so nice about Costa, of all the highstreet brands, Coffee No.1 is probably the best.

p.s. I am not talking about their instore mugs, I refer more to their limited edition designs.

Last edited:
Coffee lovers get theirs from Costa, poseurs sit in the window of Fastbucks with their mcBooks and make their single coffee last for hours...

Back