Point and shoot

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, i'm starting to get the whole "paralysis via analysis" thing after looking into a second camera.

I currently have a t3, with a tamron 17-55, canon 70-200 f4L, and 50mm 1.8.
That kit is enough for me to take on a day out and cover most of my needs, but it is getting annoying carting the bag around everywhere.

I'm looking to get a pocket sized point and shoot to stick in a pocket/glovebox.

Budget around £150-200.

Looking at the range, canon seem to offer the best, and it's between a g16 or g1x for me now i think.

I hear the g1x is great for IQ, but it's slow AF lets it down. Also, although it has a larger sensor, does the slower lens negate that advantage by forcing the iso up?

I'm pretty much set on a g16, just thought i'd ask for thoughts/suggestions/alternatives.

I guess it comes down to - is the flip out screen and image quality worth the rubbish autofocus, poor minimum focus distance, and bulky size?

Last edited:
My other half has a G15 which seems more flexible thN the G1x I sold to MPB recently. It had more reach... The IQ was better on the GIX but it is a bit of a lump!

My other half has a G15 which seems more flexible thN the G1x I sold to MPB recently. It had more reach... The IQ was better on the GIX but it is a bit of a lump!

I traded a G1X for a G16 - no regrets.

I love the IQ from the G1X and for about 75% of the time it was great. But it was just too bulky, and the lens intrusion on the viewfinder, coupled with the dreadful close-fucus limit drove me nuts.

If I had the money, I'd look seriously at the G7X, but I don;t think you'd regret getting the G16.

G7x seems to tick all my boxes, except price unfortunately, and it is non-negotiable. :(

Just to throw a curve ball... It just occurred to me that I could use the same money to buy a semi decent (red snapper) tripod, and upgrade my 1100d to 600d, giving me much the same iso performance, with better resolution and a swivelly screen... I've been hankering on both of those for a while now.

I'm still leaning towards the g16, since it will be there every day, getting used. I guess i'm just faltering because i saw some nice tripods in the flesh today, and they were all new and shiney...

What would you guys do?

If I was looking for a point and shoot I wouldn't get a tripod [emoji3] how about a used Sony RX100 mark1? I've just swapped from one to a Canon G7X for the wifi, tilting screen and fast lens, but the Sony never let me down. It's a great camera and for me, having had all kinds of other 'compacts', it means so much more when they actually fit in your pocket. The RX100 and G7X tick that box.

The G1x, G16 and G7x are great cameras, but a bit above your budget?

I'm beginning to think there is too much comprimise at this budget. I'd like a fast-ish lens, decent level of zoom, decent AF, articulated screen, and truly pocketable (ie. Everywhere i go). Until you get into the 1" sensors, one or more of those features seems to be missing. And even then, you have to go quite high in the range to tick all those boxes.

So i guess i need to compromise, i could live with a slower lens i guess.... or just upgrade my dslr kit and get used to carrying a rucksack.

Last edited:
Different to your OP then :)

I'd get a canon s1xx truly pocketable great range on the zoom, good size sensor and most importantly lovely image quality. We gave one as a go everywhere and in our holiday books you'd have to try hard to pick the pictures taken with it from those taken with my 5D mkii.

You might try the Olympus Stylus 1 or newer 1s. Not a huge sensor at 1/1.7 but looks and feels very much like a micro 4/3rds camera with a very nice viewfinder so you won't have to rely soley on the LCD. Nothing like the G series Canons. But, fit and feel in the hand goes a long way to getting comfortable with a camera. Specs alone are not enough. Best regards.

Fuji XF1. You can get one 2nd hand for about £80 these days, although you're taking a chance on the thing breaking if it hasn't already had the famous lens error fault.

Why suggest it then? 'cos it's small (pocketable), has a manual zoom ring (how many P&S have that?), has decent IQ, manual control & RAW, pleasant out of camera JPEG, and looks pretty snazzy too. You might be able to get an X10, X20 or even an used X30 for that budget too.

Edit: if you want a fastish lens, look also at the LX range. LX5 should be within budget.

Last edited:
A quick update - a lot changed, then changed again, and again... My budget increased slightly to £300. I started looking at larger sensors - rx100 being the obvious, and the canon g7x was almost a definite. The rx100iii was just out of reach of my budget.
Somebody told me to take a second look at the fuji x30, which i had previously dismissed due to the price point, which pits it up against larger sensors like the g7x.
Having got hands on with them all in a shop though, found the rx100 and g7x too small. I know that sounds silly, but there is no real grip, it just feels like they're pinched between your thumb and finger.
The x30 felt much better, while still being relatively small. The feature set is great, the evf was AWESOME and the screen tilting both ways is a nice touch. All the other numbers (zoom range, burst rate etc) were good enough for me.
Basically, i chose massively better handling over a bigger sensor. Honestly, i don't regret it a bit.

I didnt get hands on, but the smaller sensor, lack of viewfinder and fixed screen put me off. The f1.4 is nice though [emoji14]

Can I just add - the RX100 with the leather case adds significantly to the handling, much more hold-able!

Back